Time Warner Cable to offer on-the-go live TV with 'TWC TV' iOS app update

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
America's second-largest cable TV provider, Time Warner Cable, is slated to augment its iOS TWC TV app with live "out-of-home" programming, lifting existing limitations that require a user to view content from a Wi-Fi network associated with a cable subscription.

TWC TV

Starting at 10 a.m. Eastern on Wednesday, Time Warner subscribers will be able to access up to 11 live national news, sports and entertainment channels on Apple devices from outside their homes. The new offerings will be available to iPhone, iPad, iPad mini and iPod touch owners.

As for specific content, the company plans to make available 26 networks, including the Big Ten Network, the Pac-12 Network, and BBC America, among others. Local TV stations such as Time Warner Cable local news, traffic and weather channels NY1, NY1 Noticias, YNN and News 14 are said to see support as well, though coverage will be limited as licensing agreements have hindered a nationwide rollout.

In addition to the network and live content, select Video On Demand programs will be available for viewing wherever a Wi-Fi connection is present.

The update will also bring in-the-home viewing improvements to the live TV mini-guide, including new filtering and sorting features for over 200 live broadcast channels. A complete channel lineup and feature overview can be found on the TWC TV informational webpage.

The new TWC TV capabilities will be available as a free service for Time Warner Cable subscribers, though the full in-home channel lineup can only be accessed via a Time Warner authorized modem.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Better 6 years late than never, I suppose.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

I wonder if this works overseas. I was able to deceive and cheat my way into making Netflix work when I was overseas last time, but it would be nice to have some live, local TV also.

• Reply 3 of 11
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

The only downside of this scheme is you have to be a Time Wanker customer.

• Reply 4 of 11
    So other than the locals, all these channels can be watched by using thier apps? I know I can watch big ten and Fox live, outside the house, so all TW is doing Is putting these channels on the TW TV app? Nothing new I guess they are just putting them together.
  • Reply 5 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JollyPaul View Post

The only downside of this scheme is you have to be a Time Wanker customer.

Its no worse than using any other cable company...

• Reply 6 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by robertsm View Post

So other than the locals, all these channels can be watched by using thier apps? I know I can watch big ten and Fox live, outside the house, so all TW is doing Is putting these channels on the TW TV app? Nothing new I guess they are just putting them together.

Other cable channels are offered as well that do not have their own available via a website. Not all of them, but some of them. 

• Reply 7 of 11
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

TWC was actually among the first, if not the first to provide live TV on iOS devices.

• Reply 8 of 11

Comcast graciously allows you to view live TV on your iPad ... if you cough up for extra equipment and monthly surcharge, of course.

So far, I've managed to restrain myself from the temptation. /s

• Reply 9 of 11
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    scotty321 wrote: »

Who offered something like this 6 years ago?

More on point, I like this. Compete's direct with DirecTV. Will be interesting to see how the Tier 1 ISPs feel about being used as transit for this stuff. I know Comast is in rapidly warming water with their below cost peering to Netflix.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Comcast graciously allows you to view live TV on your iPad ... if you cough up for extra equipment and monthly surcharge, of course.

So far, I've managed to restrain myself from the temptation. /s

I expect those charges to go up due to peering requirements. I reckon quality could go down to balance as well.
  • Reply 11 of 11

This is awesome... and will gradually lead to full blown AppleTV.

I hope Verizon FiOS follows suit with their FiOS Mobile, live TV.

Currently, it works on any FiOS network for some channels.

AppleTV could just be an application on the iOS platform like iTunesU or Podcasts.

AppleTV could take advantage of Siri, AirPlay, H.264, H.265, 802.11ac, iCloud on any iOS device and even iWatch in the future.