Google's Schmidt: We'd like Apple have Google Maps as default on iOS

Comments

• Reply 81 of 151
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

i'm worried. if he keeps going on like this, Schmidt is in serious danger of choking to death on his own bullshit.

• Reply 82 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Everything you need to know about the situation, right there in once sentence.

100% spot on. 

• Reply 83 of 151
    rob bonner wrote: »
    It's as if he forgot he stole the idea for Android a few years back.  This can only mean that Google is actually feeling the dent in being able to sell our information.

If I left my employer and stole all their stuff, for sure I get sued.  How was it OK for him to be on Apple's board, see the iPhone prior to launch, and then go copy it just by leaving?  Just not sure how Google get's away with this, dancing around privacy law, etc.

Android was created in 2003 and bought in 2005 by Google. Schmidt was INVITED onto Apple's board in 2006. I think you forgot how to math.

And you wanna know how that was "okay"?

It didn't happen. If it did happen then you are essentially admitting that Steve Jobs and whomever else is at Apple from back then is/was a moron.
  • Reply 84 of 151
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    I hope Facebook Home takes over every Android Phone - like a parasite. Ha ha ha ha on Google.

What do you think Facebook home is?
  • Reply 85 of 151
    jameskatt2 wrote: »
    Schmidt: That horse has already left the barn. You were the ones who refused to give Apple real-time mapping data so Apple could have turn-by-turn directions in Maps. Apple, thus, had to come up with its own mapping program.

Now Apple has surpassed Google Maps in accuracy for turn-by-turn directions in the U.S. And over time, as Apple pours more money into Maps, it will be better than Google.

Moreover, Google now gets NO DATA from Apple users as the result of losing Apple as a customer.

Boo hoo hoo. But it is Google's fault for losing Apple.

That's not true...at all really. Google (last reported at least) gets a majority of their mobile revenue from iOS and more than likely iOS users.

Kinda makes you wonder how many feature phones masquerading as Android smart phones are out there considering they supposedly have a billion devices. Lol
  • Reply 86 of 151
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member

Quote:

Originally Posted by excelsior View Post

Android was created in 2003 and bought in 2005 by Google. Schmidt was INVITED onto Apple's board in 2006. I think you forgot how to math.

It didn't happen. If it did happen then you are essentially admitting that Steve Jobs and whomever else is at Apple from back then is/was a moron.

Google did not make a smartphone before late 2009?  How did Google develop the Android OS without a smartphone?  And the Nexus functions so similar to the iPhone.  The only explanation is the Android OS team developed the OS based on the iPhone.  This is thief.   No wonder Steve Jobs was so mad that he wants to use all Apple profits for a thermonuclear war against the crook.

• Reply 87 of 151
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

Quote:

no, Schmidt simply engaged in industrial espionage. the 2005 Android UI was modeled on the Blackberry, there is no argument about that well documented fact. then Eric The Mole got an iPhone prototype to the Google engineers as soon as he got his hands on one after he got on the Apple board. and bingo! suddenly the Android UI changes to an iOS concept.

great spies/con men know how to get people to trust them. even smart people who should know better. that is their special talent.

• Reply 88 of 151
    alfiejr wrote: »
    no, Schmidt simply engaged in industrial espionage. the 2005 Android UI was modeled on the Blackberry, there is no argument about that well documented fact. then Eric The Mole got an iPhone prototype to the Google engineers as soon as he got his hands on one after he got on the Apple board. and bingo! suddenly the Android UI changes to an iOS concept.

great spies/con men know how to get people to trust them. even smart people who should know better. that is their special talent.

So Android's obvious inspiration from iOS couldn't have possibly come from the over a year and a half between iPhone announcement and Android release? It had to be industrial espionage that apparently everyone knows about except Apple who for some reason keeps pussyfooting around this obvious "fact" and engages in a weak war of attrition against Google when they could have easily had Android dead in the water years ago with all this "evidence" of Eric Schmidt super spy.

Do you people really not realize how moronic you are suggesting Apple and Steve Jobs are/were?

Android 1.0 was a hastily changed version of the Android previewed in late 2007. Yes it was changed to fit the new paradigm Apple ushered into the smartphone arena. Is that theft? Does that require large scale espionage and moronic Apple executives?

There was 1.5 years of iPhone exposure to turn Android from pre-11/2007 to 10/2008.

Android 2.3 - Android 4.0 took less time than that and was a much much larger change.

So again. Why are you suggesting that Apple is run by incompetent blind morons who apparently can't see what only fanboys can see so allegedly clearly?
  • Reply 89 of 151
    tzeshan wrote: »
    Google did not make a smartphone before late 2009?  How did Google develop the Android OS without a smartphone?  And the Nexus functions so similar to the iPhone.  The only explanation is the Android OS team developed the OS based on the iPhone.  This is thief.   No wonder Steve Jobs was so mad that he wants to use all Apple profits for a thermonuclear war against the crook.

The G1 was released in October of 2008.

And you've never used a Nexus if you think it functions so similar to the iPhone.

The similarities between iOS and Android are not as strong as you have been led to believe.
  • Reply 90 of 151

Quote:

The G1 was released in October of 2008.

And you've never used a Nexus if you think it functions so similar to the iPhone.

The similarities between iOS and Android are not as strong as you have been led to believe.

The copycat of Android is very serious.  Android used exactly the same sequence of dots to indicate the home screens.  Android used a home button too.  I have not used an Android phone.  But I believe the home concept is never in Android 1.0. 

• Reply 91 of 151
    The copycat of Android is very serious.  Android used exactly the same sequence of dots to indicate the home screens.  Android used a home button too.  I have not used an Android phone.  But I believe the home concept is never in Android 1.0. 

Oh my bad. When you said "Android" I assumed you meant "Android" and not Samsung's copycat version of Android.

If I had known you didn't know the difference between Samsung and Google I'd have never entered discussion with you.
  • Reply 92 of 151
    Tim : we would like google to pay us the license fees for copying ios by default .
  • Reply 93 of 151
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Android was created in 2003 and bought in 2005 by Google. Schmidt was INVITED onto Apple's board in 2006. ...

You're simply confused by the fact that their are two distinct OS's referred to as "Android". There's the Blackberry copycat OS that existed prior to 2007, then, there's the iOS copycat OS that was created after that. Your confusion is understandable, since both of them are called "Android" but they are in fact two distinct OS's: Android I & Android II. Android II was created after Schmidt joined the Apple board, after iOS was revealed. So, regardless of whether Schmidt personally engaged in industrial sabotage, Android II is a copy of iOS, and this argument of, "Android was created in 2003..." refers to Android I and has nothing to do with the iOS clone Android II.

That can't be any clearer, so anyone presenting this argument in contradiction of the fact that present day Android (Android II) is a clone of iOS either has no idea what they are talking about, or is deliberately being dishonest.

• Reply 94 of 151
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    anonymouse wrote: »
    You're being simply confused by the fact thinside their are two distinct OS's referred to as "Android". There's the Blackberry copycat OS that existed prior to 2007, then, there's iOS copycat OS that was created after that. Your confusion is understandable, since both of them are called "Android" but they are in fact two distinct OS's: Android I & Android II. Android II was created after Schmidt joined the Apple board, after iOS was revealed. So, regardless of whether Schmidt personally engaged in industrial sabotage, Android II is a copyears of iOS, and this argument of, "Android was created in 2003..." refers to Android I and has nothing to do with the iOS clone Android II.

That can't be any clearer, so anyone presenting this argument in contradiction of the fact that present day Android (Android II) is a clone of iOS either has no idea what they are talking about, or is deliberately being dishonest.

Calling it a BB copycat is wrong, at the time ALL smartphones looked very similar whether it was a BB, Palm, or a Windows phone. Being on Apple's BoD gave Schmidt a inside look at the future of smartphones and adjusted his company's plan accordingly. Was it underhanded and sneaky? Absolutely, but it would've been stupid of him to let his company stay the course they were on. He chose to be proactive instead of reactive, and it's paid off. Look how long it took BB and MS to adjust to the iPhone. While you might not like what Schmidt did you can at the very least understand why he did it. Instead of being 5-6 years behind the competition Android was only 1-2 years behind and rapidly making up the difference.
  • Reply 95 of 151

Quote:

Oh my bad. When you said "Android" I assumed you meant "Android" and not Samsung's copycat version of Android.

If I had known you didn't know the difference between Samsung and Google I'd have never entered discussion with you.

You do not know how Samsung is able to copycat iPhone in detail?  It is Google's Android OS that provided copycat API of iOS that enabled Samsung to copycat iPhone.  

• Reply 96 of 151
    You do not know how Samsung is able to copycat iPhone in detail?  It is Google's Android OS that provided copycat API of iOS that enabled Samsung to copycat iPhone.  

Then how was it that Motorola, HTC, LG, etc... were able to make phones that were not easily confused with the iPhone?
  • Reply 97 of 151
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

What iOS users really need is the ability to set their own default apps on their device: default web browser, default email client, default mapping app, default PDF viewing app, default music listening app, default text editor, etc.

Do we really need it? I didn't know that.

• Reply 98 of 151

Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Then how was it that Motorola, HTC, LG, etc... were able to make phones that were not easily confused with the iPhone?

Then why did they got sued by Apple too?  

• Reply 99 of 151
    matrix07matrix07 Posts: 1,993member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

What a shitty post. There's more "options" today on apple platforms that there ever has been in it's history. Oh no, if you want to use Google maps, you have to..TAP THE ICON!. The horror. How will being able to change it to the default really affect anything? It has nothing to do with "arrogance". Apple can design it's mobile OS hoever the **** it wants, and does so in a matter that it believes is most intuitive to the majority of people, not OCD geeks who feel the need to change the defaults for everything.  If you want to leave iOS do it- there's no reaon to make a threatening speech about it. For every user like you that Apple loses, they'll gain another 5. 

And your statement about the stock is hilarious. "It's no wonder apple's stock has fallen."

Yeah, clearly the stock has fallen because "lack of choice"- because back when it was $700 last year, iOS was an open platform and stuff, right? And back then, Apple offered so many more "choices", right? It's hilarious that you would attempt to blame the stock drop on an aspect of Apple that has remained constant almost since it's inception, an aspect which has seen it grow exponentially into the company it is today. And yet, suddenly you're attributing the stock drop to the fact that "Apple thinks it knows whats best for you", as if that just happened yesterday. The stock has absolutely nothing to do with that, as I doubt investors, analysts, or market manipulators give 2 fucks about the ability to defaults. You're clearly a troll who has never liked Apple, because any other explanation would make no sense. You have infinitely more map options and features on iOS than you did a year ago,and the Google maps app is also much, much better than what we had previously, as is Apple maps. 

" It's a real annoyance that apple thinks they know what's best for me"

You're right, Apple shouldn't decide on whats best. It should be a democracy, where they take the input of the entire world population and then somehow try to design something that pleases everey single individual. God forbid that Apple thinks it knows whats best for most people. I mean, what part of their track record would give them that confidence? Certainly not the part where they revolutionized 7 industries, and became one of the worlds most successful and loved companies. No, clearly someone like you knows much better. 

Nothing to add. I just want to quote this. Really show how ignorant philgar is.

• Reply 100 of 151
    Then why did they got sued by Apple too?  

It wasn't because their phones looked like iPhones.