Apple granted patent for iOS app folders and 'jiggle mode' UI

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    arlorarlor Posts: 532member

I'm just glad that the icons as implemented don't juggle as much as shown in the patent diagram. That would be kind of nauseating!

• Reply 22 of 28
    Well it is a good part to the OS but does apple really need a patent for making icons shake, and why would you patent folders, however they are nice for a small device.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    analogjackanalogjack Posts: 1,073member
    If Apple is indeed 'patent happy' then it is simply a corollary of them being unhappy with having their ideas copied with gay abandon.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

The last item... quality... used to be 40% of their performance review until a couple of years ago. 

And judges (such as Kagan) do have a right to complain about that, because they have to clean up the mess when an unjustified patent is granted.

• Reply 25 of 28
    fsad32fsad32 Posts: 20member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClemyNX View Post

I don't think this will be invalidated, it's a pretty original idea and implementation.

Are you CRAZY?

And you are writing this from France?

Such patents is the SHAME for all world. Only in the USPTO you can patent user interfaces or logic schemes (algorithms) - so in fact patent the "vision" "animation" "view" and etc. - there's very little amount of countries on the planet where you can do the same criminal things, because they patenting more than just a "view of icons" - it is in fact the patent for specific geometrical figures in specific places - something like patent for a "pyramid", so noone can make copy same geometrical figure.

The problem with patents are so serious that in USA was granted the patent for a plant caapi which is growing in jungles. Yes, one smarta•s registered a patent for other creature...it's void now, but this is some kind of asylum, and noone even trying to stop that. American corporations which are making now gene-modified crops - are patenting them right from the lab only because they changed some genes, but this is nature's invention not from some corporation and problem here is that gene-modified crops are replacing the original ones on the fields and farmers which using patented crops must pay this corporation for using their "patented property". This is very serious - because if by mistake any patented plant will grow on your field - you must pay, and whole world must pay this corporation everytime for each piece of patented crops. This is only one example of this USPTO - asylum.

• Reply 26 of 28
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by fsad32 View Post

So… absolutely nothing to say about the validity of the patent. GOT IT.

• Reply 27 of 28
    akacakac Posts: 512member

Its not just some animation or visuals. Its a method. Nobody else came up with a method like this. Its a combination of actions, visuals, animation, and how it all works together that makes this a patent. 

This is a perfect example of a good patent.

• Reply 28 of 28
    tt92618tt92618 Posts: 444member

It is total nonsense to suggest that this is a good patent.  First, elements similar to this have been around for many years and there is prior art for elements of this design predating Apple's implementation by many years.  In particular, the concept of a 'screen splitting' action to reveal other information is not at all a new concept.  There is no way that Apple should be able to patent such ideas.

What is increasingly happening with Apple is that they simply patent everything they can... which is not at all surprising in the litigious-happy patent trolling world we now live in.  The best defense for patent trolls is to get patents on everything you produce so that it costs them to come against you, because they have to get your patent invalidated.  Most of them are just con artists anyway, and they are much less likely to seek enforcement of some shady, quasi-related patent when they know that you have a more directly related one.

Anyway, be that as it may, this state of affairs is a rough spot for all of us who work in this field.  I do  ux / ui for a living, and I had similar designs to the folder effect in use in 2009, well before Apple's patent.  And I got the inspiration from other designers who were doing similar work even earlier.

It chaps my rear end that Apple has patents like this, because it impacts what I can do as a designer in the products that I design.

IF this were ever to go to court, it would be easy to provide prior art for some elements of Apple's design.  But because of Apple's deep pockets, it is very unlikely that such an event would ever happen.