Shares of Apple sink after supplier Cirrus warns of weak results

Comments

• Reply 21 of 400

Question: What drives a stock price? 

Answer: Growth

Apple's days of explosive growth are over. None of us 'need' another screen and while an iPad or iPhone might be a must have, adding another TV screen to the house is not going to happen anytime soon. And if so, people will not be buying 5 of them. Apple is now trading like Microsoft - as a mature stock. 

Remember there are 4 stages to a company:

1. Think it up

2. Scale it

3. Milk it

4. Think it up

Apple is now at Step 4. When it thinks it up and then scales it the stock will respond. Until then there are better bets for making money versus saying 'i'm holding a stock that is going down'. Smart investors don't do that until it hits the bottom and it hasn't hit it yet.

• Reply 22 of 400
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

If Apple does indeed have a pipeline choke-full of wonderful products, we need to see something now. Apple product updates were once spread out through the year: iMac in January, iPad in March, MacBook Pros in June, iPhone in July/September. That always gives you something to buy, that the media will mention Apple has released such and such. Now, all we hear is rumors about order cuts, suppliers’ problems, iPhone Giga / Micro / Nano / Cheapo is being delayed.

The media needs to invent a reason for Apple’s spectacular drop. Well they came up it “no innovation”. And what’s better to reinforce that idea than a company that has nothing new to offer? The more Apple remains silent, the more that made-up fact seems real. And the share drops further, which must mean “no innovation” is the real problem. Repeat anything often enough and people start to think that it is real.

On top of that a troubling new trend has shown up: production issues in nearly every product. Retina displays too hard to make, iPhone case too hard to polish, in-cell touch screen yields too low. Cook was supposedly the master of the supply chain. He should have been able to solve those problems, or go to a different design. Samsung doesn’t have problem making millions of Galaxy phones, cheap-feeling and plastic as they may be.

And if I hear Cook says “we are seriously considering the user of cash” once more time, I’m going to throw up. I’m sick of Cook saying things and not doing them. The stock tumbled for 6 months, losing near 50% of its value, and management couldn’t say anything better than “trust us, we’ve got a great pipeline” and “we are thinking about it”. Secrecy is too frustrating for investors right now, that’s why you see the stock going down the toilet.

• Reply 23 of 400
    I will be quicker to lock in a profit after this and I don't think I am alone on this sentiment. This has been a painful 8 months. Apple is getting hammered because they can't change their plans in 6 months. They are producing what they predicted the market would need 2-3 years ago. The ramp up to 6 month refresh cycles has not been easy and it won't get easier if Apple continues to grow.
    This may well be the rumor that starts the next run up for Apple because it does not say Apple is not selling phones. It says Apple is updating and changing it's phones. You can expect Apple to switch from making 3 models that are 6-30 months out of date to 3 new models that are directed to 3 different segments of the market, just like they did with the iPod. Most of us who have been watching Apple over the years know the playbook from the iPod introductions. The problem is doubt. The market hates risk and Apple is in the most competitive market in the whole world. They also have what Wall Street sees as a "new" leader.
    Patience is painful when you look back and realize you could have doubled the number of shares in your portfolio by timing the market. That is the key to getting this investment right. Timing the market is a losing proposition since the market is a predictive system. It doesn't predict accurately over the short term. It prices correctly over the long term. Investing in a company that is well run with a great product is not the same as betting which direction a stock will take on the market even if both actions are done with the same vehicle.
  • Reply 24 of 400
    eriamjheriamjh Posts: 1,642member

I think that iOS7 should have come out last year, with the iPhone 5 and that a lack of any big iOS update is the reason some people may feel the iPhone has lost its lead.  Everyone else has caught up and other phones are really nice and have many of the same features or more.  Apple supporters always said it was the software that made their hardware so great.   

So, Jony Ive, where's the iOS update?

• Reply 25 of 400
    jason98jason98 Posts: 768member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I don't see the stock breaking $500 again anytime soon. 

Wait, what about $2000 some of the "respectable" analysts were projecting?

http://appleinsider.com/articles/12/05/09/apple_stock_seen_hitting_2000_by_the_end_of_2015

• Reply 26 of 400
    imt1imt1 Posts: 87member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

So, Apple is dumping Cirrus and going elsewhere for their chips, Cirrus sell less chips and Apple stock falls.

No, I don't think this is the reason for the price drop. 

That is not what the article says.  It stated the following:

The company, which makes energy and audio chips, notified investors that it would see lower shipments of a high-volume product as an unnamed customer migrates to a newer component from Cirrus.

This says the Customer, presumably Apple, is switching from one audio chip to a newer one. That is it. Shipping volume may decrease due to Apple purchasing a high volume initially to make all of their devices up to the point of a refresh. I can't see the direct link to lower sales at Cirrus, with reason cited, to Apple's numbers being down. 

This also could be a result of a cheaper iPhone, if the rumors to that prove true, using a cheaper audio product as well and thus the volume is for a normally high-volume shipment is down. 

• Reply 27 of 400
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacerays View Post

Dont know if there is a relation, but all this shit started to happen shortly after Apple started to issue dividends.

Maybe it's the reason why Jobs didnt want any dividends.

Yep, I did mention the same thing in the past. 

All of these talking heads, douchebag analysts and others were calling for a dividend, and then when Apple capitulated and gave in, all of a sudden that could be seen a sign of weakness, that Apple was stabilizing and the super growth days were over. I'd rather that the stock keeps rising in value, instead of getting a lousy dividend, while the share price is almost half down from it's high, but that's just me.

There are also a lot of talking heads and douchebag analysts calling for Apple to do other kinds of things today, and we'll see what happens when and if Apple capitulates and gives in to them also.

• Reply 28 of 400

"...notified investors that it would see lower shipments of a high-volume product as an unnamed customer migrates to a newer component from Cirrus..." (Emphasis mine.)

This is basically saying that "unnamed customer is buying less of our "(high volume) product X" and more of our "(newer) product Y..."

It says nothing about the absolute volume of either product X or Y.

This looks like everyone read everything up to "unnamed customer" and ignored everything after that ("migrates to a newer component from Cirrus." -- It's the same company, folks.)

• Reply 29 of 400
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    eriamjh wrote: »
    I think that iOS7 should have come out last year, with the iPhone 5 and that a lack of any big iOS update is the reason some people may feel the iPhone has lost its lead.  Everyone else has caught up and other phones are really nice and have many of the same features or more.  Apple supporters always said it was the software that made their hardware so great.   

Craig Federighi is responsible for iOS, Jony Ive is responsible for UI across all of Apple's software. Neither of those two had responsibility for iOS last year when iPhone 5 was released.
  • Reply 30 of 400
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by zoffdino View Post

Now, all we hear is rumors about order cuts, suppliers’ problems, iPhone Giga / Micro / Nano / Cheapo is being delayed.

Except you always heard that before.

On top of that a troubling new trend has shown up: production issues in nearly every product.

Report anything enough and people start to believe it… 

Cook was supposedly the master of the supply chain.

What part of "supply chain" is confusing? What does that have to do with manufacturing?!

Samsung doesn’t have problem making millions of Galaxy phones, cheap-feeling and plastic as they may be.

Someone doesn't have any problems NOT innovating and NOT doing any new designs and sticking to EXISTING methods of production of componentry by NOT so much as trying anything different?

Color me frigging shocked¡

I’m sick of Cook saying things and not doing them.

Prove he isn't considering what to do with it. Prove it.

• Reply 31 of 400
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

Now it's time for the earnings report and some product launches.  I really hope Apple is just being secretive and has something big planned for this year.

I have the same hope. Enough time has passed with only incremental updates to existing products to make the next significant product launch, or lack of one, a make or break event. Minor updates like a second iPhone model and retina iPad mini are probably not even enough to tread water.

• Reply 32 of 400
    eriamjh wrote: »

I don't think an iOS update matters. Apple isn't really suffering by any means. And iOS is fine as is.
  • Reply 33 of 400

This just reeks of someone manipulating the market.

• Reply 34 of 400
    thecorethecore Posts: 56member

"Cirrus Logic notified investors that it would see lower shipments of a high-volume product as an unnamed customer migrates to a newer component from Cirrus."

So let me see if I understand the premise here......  new product cycle for Cirrus = disaster for Apple?    Sounds more like Serious illogic 

"Apple's earnings for its previous holiday quarter were flat year over year with net profit of $13.1 billion."

Sales flat YOY-   Huh?

The Company posted record quarterly revenue of $54.5 billion, and 13.1 b in profit.  The prior Holiday Q they posted $46.3 billion and net profit of $13.1   

The prior year also had 14 weeks,  an additional week in the Q-   so Apple generated 1.007 billion per week this period in profits verses   .9357 B in the year last.

On a weekly basis,  profits would fall to  $12.1 B in 2011 if we assume 13 weeks in 2011.       Thats a  $1 Billion differential Vs profits 2012  on  $8.2 billion revenue increase.      Help me understand how a Billion dollars,  in PROFIT  has become a rounding error.  

• Reply 35 of 400
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Unreal. Just unreal. I don't even know what to say anymore. Just mind-blowing how a blip of a rumor makes Apple sock plummet. Why the **** does this not happen to any other company?
  • Reply 36 of 400
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

Quote:

Originally Posted by theCore View Post

"Cirrus Logic notified investors that it would see lower shipments of a high-volume product as an unnamed customer migrates to a newer component from Cirrus."

So let me see if I understand the premise here......  new product cycle for Cirrus = disaster for Apple?    Sounds more like Serious illogic 

"Apple's earnings for its previous holiday quarter were flat year over year with net profit of $13.1 billion."

Sales flat YOY-   Huh?

The Company posted record quarterly revenue of $54.5 billion, and 13.1 b in profit.  The prior Holiday Q they posted $46.3 billion and net profit of $13.1   

The prior year also had 14 weeks,  an additional week in the Q-   so Apple generated 1.007 billion per week this period in profits verses   .9357 B in the year last.

On a weekly basis,  profits would fall to  $12.1 B in 2011 if we assume 13 weeks in 2011.       Thats a  $1 Billion differential Vs profits 2012  on  $8.2 billion revenue increase.      Help me understand how a Billion dollars,  in PROFIT  has become a rounding error.  

^THIS!^

Criticism based on reality I'd appreciate. But when basic FACTS are wrong, irritating clickbait junk.

• Reply 37 of 400
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jakeb View Post

Is this worse than Apple's projections? They said in the last report that this quarter wouldn't be one of their best.

Is what worse? These are rumors.

• Reply 38 of 400
    genovellegenovelle Posts: 1,480member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter Cranstone View Post

Question: What drives a stock price? 

Answer: Growth

Apple's days of explosive growth are over. None of us 'need' another screen and while an iPad or iPhone might be a must have, adding another TV screen to the house is not going to happen anytime soon. And if so, people will not be buying 5 of them. Apple is now trading like Microsoft - as a mature stock. 

Remember there are 4 stages to a company:

1. Think it up

2. Scale it

3. Milk it

4. Think it up

Apple is now at Step 4. When it thinks it up and then scales it the stock will respond. Until then there are better bets for making money versus saying 'i'm holding a stock that is going down'. Smart investors don't do that until it hits the bottom and it hasn't hit it yet.

So where is Google?  Android is Growing but $ are not.  Is it just about market share and damn profit?

• Reply 39 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

This is quite unusual for Apple. Mindshare needs to massaged from time to time if you want it to grow. Nothing new since last Autumn is far too long, especially with a new CEO at the helm. Now, Tim and Co. might have some really major things in place so this short-term lull will turn out to revolutionize the tech world yet again and show that Apple hasn't lost it and that Tim is the right man for the job but that's a big gamble for them to take... but at this point it's the only one that makes sense for this unattended time span.

That's where Jobs excelled. If all the stories are to be believed, Jobs was constantly on the phone harassing and haranguing reporters and others who either misreported or denigrated Apple in any way, shape or form. Does Tim doe this? You have to view your company as more than just a company. Jobs treated Apple like it was his very life.

• Reply 40 of 400

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

This just reeks of someone manipulating the market.

Opportune time for Apple to buy back their stock though.