Simple networking mac -> pc

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Hey everyone, I've just bought a powerbook (my frist mac so bear with me hehe) should be here by monday anyway my question is I want to network it to my ancient pc so I can use it on the internet.

You see i'm on ADSL and use a cheap no brand modem to do this (cost £80 i wasnt going to pay £160 for a brandname, although i probably should in retrospect but the thing is im only gonna be living here 3 more weeks) which I doubt will work with mac (it uses conexant drivers) so what I was wondering is there a way I can network my mac to my pc easily, I don't mean by buying an ethernet card for my pc, the thing is i used to network my pc to others using just a parallel cable, it was slow but it did the job. I was wondering is there perhaps a way to connect the two using USB? I'm sure i heard you could connect 2 macs that way. Erm or is there perhaps a chance my cheap and tacky modem will work?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    in·for·ma·tion Pronunciation Key (nfr-mshn)

n.

Knowledge derived from study, experience, or instruction.

Knowledge of specific events or situations that has been gathered or received by communication; intelligence or news. See Synonyms at knowledge.

A collection of facts or data: statistical information.

The act of informing or the condition of being informed; communication of knowledge: Safety instructions are provided for the information of our passengers.

Computer Science. Processed, stored, or transmitted data.

A numerical measure of the uncertainty of an experimental outcome.

Law. A formal accusation of a crime made by a public officer rather than by grand jury indictment.

[quote] i think what he's saying is that we need a few more details before we 'd be able to help you out.

if you can, write out everything you've tried, and the results you've gotten. it's tough to troubleshoot computer problems over the 'net, in-depth information is about the only way to combat this.

<hr></blockquote>

troubleshooting over the internet is difficult if you can't provide us with more info. we'll help you gladly, but we need more information.

and try to format your questions, so that it will be easier for us.

The Information Eaters ?
  • Reply 2 of 9
    I haven't tried anything yet seen as I haven't even got the thing yet. Basically I'm just asking is there a way to connect a mac to a pc without using wireless or ethernet, similar to how you can connect computers via COM ports
  • Reply 3 of 9
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by sushiism:

<strong>I haven't tried anything yet seen as I haven't even got the thing yet. Basically I'm just asking is there a way to connect a mac to a pc without using wireless or ethernet, similar to how you can connect computers via COM ports</strong><hr></blockquote>

no.

you have to use a twisted ethernet cable.

mac's never had a COM port, and networking over USB isn't possible AFAIK.

HTH
  • Reply 4 of 9
    Actually, I have seen a product which networked windows and Macs over a USB cable. This is not a standard part of OS X or windoze. It is product that you would have to purchase.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    I didnt mean totally over com ports i just meant some alternative hmm I would try that USB if it was standard but seen as its not I think I mayaswell just go buy an ethernet card tomorrow (even though i cant be arsed opening the pc again. So will any old pc ethernet card do?
  • Reply 6 of 9
    It should. I believe the Powerbook auto-senses what type of connection you are using, so you do not even need a twisted pair network cable. (But I could be wrong)...
  • Reply 7 of 9
    ahh great thanks
  • Reply 8 of 9
    dobbydobby Posts: 797member
    If you are going to patch the mac straight through to the PC then you need a crossover cable or you bug a mini-hub or switch.

You could buy a USB to Serial adapter and use kermit or something similar to transfer files between the the two systems. Its slow but it should work. Probably costs more than a NIC though.

Dobby
  • Reply 9 of 9
    It use to be possible...

<a href="http://www.mandrake.demon.co.uk/Apple/ltalk/pc_hardware.html"; target="_blank">http://www.mandrake.demon.co.uk/Apple/ltalk/pc_hardware.html</a>;

Even they admit there is little to no interest anymore.

The cheapest way is a real network connection.

I still transfer files via kermit to my PB from an old 286 Laptop that the US Navy still uses. It is very slow, but it always transfers the files perfectly.

[ 09-09-2002: Message edited by: MrBillData ]</p>