Mailbox ends reservation system, iPhone app now available to all

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
The popular Gmail iOS client "Mailbox" on Tuesday became freely available to all, ditching the reservation system that previously required new users to wait.

Mailbox

The company announced the change on its official blog, opening up the doors and ditching a waiting list of hundreds of thousands of people. The change was made after 10 weeks of behind-the-scenes effort to scale the service.

Mailbox revealed its service is now delivering more than 100 million messages per day, and the company is confident it will be able to handle an influx of new users. The application is a free download available on the iPhone App Store.

The first-come, first serve reservation system disappeared just a day after a the software was update to version 1.2, with enhanced features such as smarter snooze settings and swipe gestures.

Since its debut, Mailbox has filled over 1 million reservations. The Gmail-driven service was acquired by cloud storage giant Dropbox in March for between $50 million and $100 million.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member
    Does it work with anything other than Google mail yet? Otherwise what's the point?
  • Reply 2 of 11
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Does it work with anything other than Google mail yet? Otherwise what's the point?

Yeah, I don't use Gmail at all.  Does it do anything for other mail services?

• Reply 3 of 11
    DaekwanDaekwan Posts: 175member

It sucks.  You guys arent missing anything.

Well it doesnt suck-suck.  But the features arent anything ground breaking.  And the built in iOS mail app is much more simple to use.

Its email.  You read a message, then delete/forward/reply/move it.  Theres not much more too it.

• Reply 4 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daekwan View Post

It sucks.  You guys arent missing anything.

Well it doesnt suck-suck.  But the features arent anything ground breaking.  And the built in iOS mail app is much more simple to use.

Its email.  You read a message, then delete/forward/reply/move it.  Theres not much more too it.

That, and you're giving yet another company complete access to all of your e-mails.  I've accepted that Google has everything, but the way Mailbox works, their servers grab your email from Gmail, then send it to your device.  Therefore, doubling the chance of your account being compromised or accessed by the company for whatever purpose. 

• Reply 5 of 11
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Yeah I agree, if it never supports anything other than gmail, then it will be a worthless app. I'd like to try it, but until it supports iCloud it will never get used by me. 

• Reply 6 of 11
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by techguy911 View Post

That, and you're giving yet another company complete access to all of your e-mails.  ...

Yeah, but if you're American, you've already got the government reading your emails already, so what's the diff if Google does?  image

I'm making a joke of course, but on the serious side ... if privacy is what worries you about it, (and you live in the USA), it's a non-sensical remark really.  It only makes sense to be worried about it (as I am personally) because you're against advertising.  

So yeah, Google is doing a real bad thing here no question, but my understanding is that the vast majority of folks are totally okay with advertising, so I fail to understand what most of the outcry is about in that sense.  It seems to me that the only explanation for this logical "disconnect" is that Americans are just in denial about how the government reads all their email and records all their phone calls.  

• Reply 7 of 11

I have the app, used it for a few minutes, then disabled the mail checking.  Like the internal mail app more now.

• Reply 8 of 11

I had the app for a week or so but then when i went back to my Mac, new folders were created etc. I always found the swipe to delete and leave for later always didn't work. The reservation system got people interested though.

• Reply 9 of 11

Like many others, I had concerns about security but I read over their privacy statement (http://www.mailboxapp.com/privacy/) and also noticed they are entered in the "Authorized access to your Google account" once you authorize them.  This means you can revoke access at any time in your Google account.  In short, it's no more dangerous than if you authorize a Twitter reader to read and post your tweets.

I love the app.  Maybe only people who dislike it are posting here, but I think it's fantastic.  It's not a new idea, but it simplifies a clean inbox and forces you to make decisions on if the e-mail is important or not.  It's very similar to the concept behind Inbox Zero (http://inboxzero.com/) if anyone else has seen that before.

• Reply 10 of 11
    darkvaderdarkvader Posts: 1,146member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drstan00 View Post

Like many others, I had concerns about security but I read over their privacy statement (http://www.mailboxapp.com/privacy/) and also noticed they are entered in the "Authorized access to your Google account" once you authorize them.  This means you can revoke access at any time in your Google account.  In short, it's no more dangerous than if you authorize a Twitter reader to read and post your tweets.

I love the app.  Maybe only people who dislike it are posting here, but I think it's fantastic.  It's not a new idea, but it simplifies a clean inbox and forces you to make decisions on if the e-mail is important or not.  It's very similar to the concept behind Inbox Zero (http://inboxzero.com/) if anyone else has seen that before.

So not only does it invade your privacy and increase your risk of being hacked, but it also interferes with your email storage choices.

Wow.  This is EXACTLY what I've always wanted, almost as much as I've always wanted a boot to the head.

What an absolutely idiotic idea.  At least I know what it is now, so I can ban it from my clients' employee phones.

• Reply 11 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

So not only does it invade your privacy and increase your risk of being hacked, but it also interferes with your email storage choices.

Wow.  This is EXACTLY what I've always wanted, almost as much as I've always wanted a boot to the head.

What an absolutely idiotic idea.  At least I know what it is now, so I can ban it from my clients' employee phones.

I agree it isn't appropriate for businesses or sensitive client information.  From a home user I don't really see any issues with it though.

The Gmail app for iOS appears to access your e-mail using the same mechanism that Mailbox does.  I looked at my security tab of my Google account and both have entries indicating what data the application is allowed to use.  If allowing an app is considered a security risk for anyone then they should probably re-evaluate what they are doing with other apps.