Apple's next-gen 9.7" iPad expected to be 25% lighter, 15% thinner, debut in Q3

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Noted analyst Ming-Chi Kuo of KGI Securities expects Apple's fifth-generation iPad to be substantially smaller than the current model, while still managing to carry a GF2 touch panel, A7X processor and other improvements over its predecessor.

mould
Purported next-gen iPad cases. | Source: Tactus

In a note obtained by AppleInsider, Kuo notes that the next-gen iPad's thinness and lightness will be its key attributes, which should be significant enough to move more units as compared to the current model. The analyst believes Apple's third and fourth generation iPads didn't sell as well as anticipated because they were both heavier and thicker than the iPad 2.

"We think the tablet will, at 7.5-8.0mm, be 15% thinner than iPad 4," Kuo writes.

The slimness will come from new GF2 screen technology, a change from the current iPad's GG touch tech, which will also help in reducing power consumption. Kuo sees the "iPad 5" as requiring less juice, and expects a 25 to 30 percent decrease in battery size. Compared to the existing version, the cells will be reduced from three to two and will see a 15 to 20 percent reduction in thickness.

A much-rumored design change is also seen as likely, with the new full-size iPad taking on an aesthetic borrowed from the iPad mini. Thinner bezels and a more curved casing will bring parity to Apple's tablet lineup. The prediction is in line with rumors speculating as much, most recently culminating in two supposed leaks, one allegedly showing the iPad's front cover glass and another of purported cases built for the as-yet-unannounced device.

As far as internal components, the next iPad is expected to come with a new A7-series SoC manufactured on Samsung's 28 nanometer process, improving efficiency while increasing processing power.

There shouldn't be a change in camera specs, meaning the fourth-generation unit's 5-megapixel shooter will be carried over, as well as the front-facing FaceTime HD package.

Overall, the fifth-generation iPad, with the GF2 tech and consequent downgrading of battery size, will yield a thinner and lighter tablet. Weight is thought to be around 500 grams, compared to the current 650-gram iPad.

Kuo expects production to start ramping up in July and August ahead of a shipments in August or September.

Also noted in the report was an estimate on upcoming iPad lineup shipments. The analyst maintains an iPad mini 2 is set for release in the second half of 2013 and will account for 60 to 65 percent of all iPad shipments. Focusing on the 9.7-inch tablet, Kuo expects shipments of 15 million units by year's end.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 45
    65c81665c816 Posts: 136member
    So... basically 2014 iPad/iPhones will have the authentic stuff integrated directly on to the A7 series processor?
  • Reply 2 of 45
    Apple is doom as the new ipad will see the production constrain and yes , the cannibation caused by ipad mini
  • Reply 3 of 45
    Lighter would definitely be welcome.
  • Reply 4 of 45
    robogoborobogobo Posts: 378member
    Apple is doom as the new ipad will see the production constrain and yes , the cannibation caused by ipad mini
    Yeah my iPad Mini causes me to light up a big ol spliff and all I see is production constrain.
  • Reply 5 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Lighter would definitely be welcome.

Agreed.

If the last two versions of the iPad ever had an Achilles Heal, it was that they had fat Achilles Heals.

Light is might!
  • Reply 6 of 45
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

So Apple is doomed because they're going to lose money to...Apple.

You. Genius.
  • Reply 7 of 45

Nice post! All gamers know that,rs and rs 3 used different syetem.rs 3 is upgrade from rs ,so,rs 3 drawn many gamers awaiting.The factors system for rs is a vacation exclusive and smartly developed the experience. Like the three stages of problems in the experience, the items were also three stages, as always, remarkable and top level. Beginning in the experience, you by causing a regular stability and drops as you improvement through the experience and stage up, place stages and also improves their quality. I believe this product is what created a lot of rs with achievements.rs 3 Items with better rs 3 Items and better system.It must give gamers more fun in the experience.

[url=http://www.mmohome.com/]WOW Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.sellgw2.com/]Guild Wars 2 Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.d3joy.com/]Diablo 3 Gold[/url]

• Reply 8 of 45
    Nice post! All gamers know that,rs and rs 3 used different syetem.rs 3 is upgrade from rs ,so,rs 3 drawn many gamers awaiting.The factors system for rs is a vacation exclusive and smartly developed the experience. Like the three stages of problems in the experience, the items were also three stages, as always, remarkable and top level. Beginning in the experience, you by causing a regular stability and drops as you improvement through the experience and stage up, place stages and also improves their quality. I believe this product is what created a lot of rs with achievements.rs 3 Items with better rs 3 Items and better system.It must give gamers more fun in the experience.

[url=http://www.mmohome.com/]WOW Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.sellgw2.com/]Guild Wars 2 Gold[/url]|[url=http://www.d3joy.com/]Diablo 3 Gold[/url]

• Reply 10 of 45

• Reply 11 of 45

I love my Microsoft Surface. Girls get moist when I slam that thick black beauty down on the library table and s-l-o-w-l-y creak that kickstand to it's fully erect position. They hold their collective breaths in anticipation of the satisfying sound of my keyboard snapping into place. I glow in personal satisfaction of having everyone's eyes on me as I sit there trying to figure out how to make it work in portrait mode...

• Reply 12 of 45
    Heck if light is right I'd still be using a Motorola itac. Or what ever it was called in the day. That's why I like the Nokia 920 because its not as thin as crap. Sent by the way of a nexus 10.
  • Reply 13 of 45
    darendinodarendino Posts: 126member
    So Apple isn't releasing ANYTHING till Q3?, no wonder their shares are tumbling, nearly 5 months into 2013 and bugger all from them.
  • Reply 14 of 45
    lightknightlightknight Posts: 2,312member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DarenDino View Post

So Apple isn't releasing ANYTHING till Q3?, no wonder their shares are tumbling, nearly 5 months into 2013 and bugger all from them.

Uh? If the stock market thinks like you do, screw the stock market.

Actually, why the hell doesn't Apple do as Dell does, go private? The stock market is useless anyway.

When Apple's ready, Apple will release "anything". If shares are dropping because Apple doesn't release a Zune "nearly five months into 2013", well, the stock market mistakenly thought APPL was MSFT. Sad story.

• Reply 15 of 45
    nchianchia Posts: 124member
    Having been using an iPad mini for the past few months, I wouldn't mind a lighter, full-sized iPad.
  • Reply 16 of 45
    The day Apple releases products to "satisfy" the market, and I mean that as in the only reason to release a product.. it's doomed. Screw the stock market, Apple needs to continue to focus on the consumer as they are the people who will keep them in business!!!
  • Reply 17 of 45
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ytseman3 View Post

The day Apple releases products to "satisfy" the market, and I mean that as in the only reason to release a product.. it's doomed. Screw the stock market, Apple needs to continue to focus on the consumer as they are the people who will keep them in business!!!

Agreed! Screw the stock market. Customers and analysts cannot tell a company what they should release. Reason is, 9/10 times its for their own good and they of course will have some BS numbers to put behind it to prove its a widely requested feature or product. You know, if they can find 100 people requesting the same thing then well yes Apple better put it in. 

• Reply 18 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

I remember when people around here were arguing vehemently with me that asking for a lighter iPad was crazy, and that perhaps what I really needed was stronger arms. Those same folks are probably saying the opposite now. Of course, I'm always ahead of the pack ;-)

• Reply 19 of 45
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    ireland wrote: »
    I remember when people around here were arguing vehemently with me that asking for a lighter iPad was crazy, and that perhaps what I really needed was stronger arms. Those same folks are probably saying the opposite now. Of course, I'm always ahead of the pack ;-)

1) Who, when and where said that wanting a lighter iPad is crazy? Are you sure you didn't word it in a way that wasn't realistic, likes saying you want the battery life to be 50 hours, the display to double-Retina, and it to be as thin as a butter knife? That would sound crazy. Or, saying that the iPad 3/4 is too heavy and too big and that they should have made it lighter and thinner than that iPad 2 without any care for battery life? That would also sound crazy.

2) With the new chips and lithography lighter and thinner were always going to happen. The iPad 3 was an anomaly in Apple's history.

3) When and why did DaHarder get banned? Scratch the 'why' as that is obvious.
  • Reply 20 of 45
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Ireland View Post

I remember when people around here were arguing vehemently with me that asking for a lighter iPad was crazy…

I remember people arguing that the iPad isn't heavy enough to be complaining about (and if we're talking about the first-gen, I maintain that it wasn't image), but never anyone who said lighter would be bad or was unthinkable.