New (used) Cube won't let new owner in

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Well it's out of the box and powered up, but:

A 'Welcome to Mac OS' box appears, with a picture of a whistle next to the words 'New Owner' inside the box and 3 buttons at the bottom: 'shut down,' 'change password,' and 'log in' - with only 'shut down' enabled unless you click on 'new owner' or hit the space bar.

If you don't click or space, and click 'help' instead, a box appears saying that the application 'log in' has unexpectedly quit, and to shut down and restart - but when you do that, the whole thing simply happens all over again.

If you do click or space and then choose 'change password' or 'log in,' a box appears asking for the old password in the former case (which we don't know - and we haven't been able to get hold of the previous owner), and a new password in the latter (which the computer won't accept if you invent one on the spot; it shakes its head 'no' and erases it).

So our new Cube seems to want an official password change using the old password that we don't know, or something equivalent - therefore our question:

Can we take care of this without knowing the former owner's password ourselves, or should we take it to the Mac people in nearby Kansas City, or...? (Sorry for what might be painful naivete; we promise to study hard using our little stack of Williams and Pogue books once we get past this sentinel.)

Thanks, everyone.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 8
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    start the cube up from any Mac OS 10 cd, then, at the beginning, choose "reset password" and reset it to what you like.

and btw that's GB.
  • Reply 2 of 8
    and why don't u install jag and make a clean install ?
  • Reply 3 of 8
    Defiant is right, who knows what kind of nasty things are lurking on that cube. :eek:
  • Reply 4 of 8
    Probably a sign that I'm really out of it if I say that I don't know what Defiant means by "...that's GB"?

Thank, you guys.
  • Reply 5 of 8
    [quote]Originally posted by Somada:

<strong>Probably a sign that I'm really out of it if I say that I don't know what Defiant means by "...that's GB"?

Thank, you guys.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Genius Bar

[quote] Defiant is right, who knows what kind of nasty things are lurking on that cube. :eek: <hr></blockquote>

maybe some pr0n ?
  • Reply 6 of 8
    He is in mac os 9 here is what to do: Boot off your mac os 9 cd and then go into the system folder and delete the multiple users extension delete the multiple users prefrences and also teh control panal that should let you in but it wont be password protected anymore...
  • Reply 7 of 8
    jambojambo Posts: 3,036member
    Moving to Genius Bar...
  • Reply 8 of 8
    Thanks everyone; a clean install seems the best first step.

Sorry Jamie: In a clumsy hurry to get this thing going I blundered into GD without even remembering GB. How perfect.

Heard from the previous owner, BTW, and the passwords he gave didn't work.