Apple sought iBooks recommendation deal with Goodreads, was blocked by Amazon purchase

Posted:
in iPad edited January 2014
Apple was reportedly interested in integrating book recommendations from the service Goodreads into the iBookstore, but those plans were tossed after Amazon bought the social networking site.

Goodreads

Details on the failed partnership concept were revealed on Thursday by The Wall Street Journal, which cited people familiar with the matter. Goodreads and Apple were allegedly in talks for over a year about potential integration.

"Goodreads had proposed its reviews and ratings appear within iTunes when users searched for a title, one of the people said," reported Jessica E. Lessin and Evelyn M. Rusli. "iTunes has already integrated Rotten Tomatoes movie ratings in such a way."

Apple apparently sought to move talks forward when iTunes executives reached out to Goodreads in March. But Apple officials were said to be "perplexed" when Goodreads didn't respond.

The reason for the silence was a deal in the works with Amazon, in which the online retailer eventually purchased Goodreads for an amount that could exceed $200 million.

Apple may have even tried to stop the deal, as the Journal also revealed that an Apple official not involved in the original talks inquired to see if Goodreads was "interested in exploring other options."

Competition between Amazon and Apple has heated up in the digital media space, as Amazon has made strong efforts to grow its digital music sales, and Apple entered the e-book market with the iPad and launch of the iBookstore. New data released this week showed that Apple's iTunes is still the dominant player in digital music with a 63 percent share, while Amazon's Kindle family of devices are said to account for 55 percent of the e-book market.

Competition has grown even more between the two companies with Amazon's budget-oriented Kindle Fire touchscreen tablets, which compete directly with Apple's iPad. And Amazon is even rumored to enter the smartphone market and take on Apple's iPhone as soon as this year, with a new handset that is alleged to feature a 4.7-inch display.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 20
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Whew.  Thank god Apple didn't buy them. Apple should save that money for a rainy day. 'cause you never know when things might not be so great for them.

• Reply 2 of 20
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

ibooks sucks compared to kindle so its not like i would have bought any ibooks for my ipad

i just bought a kindle book as a gift for my mom. easy. i couldn't figure out how to gift a book on itunes.

• Reply 3 of 20
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

In this case, Apple needs to act quickly to buy companies and make deals that solidify their position, but it also requires a vision for the iBookstore. Where do they want it to be in 5-10 years?

• Reply 4 of 20
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

Originally Posted by al_bundy View Post

ibooks sucks compared to kindle so its not like i would have bought any ibooks for my ipad

i just bought a kindle book as a gift for my mom. easy. i couldn't figure out how to gift a book on itunes.

Amazon has always treated books as a core part of the business model. It was one of their first big markets, so it's natural that they have more experience in that area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

In this case, Apple needs to act quickly to buy companies and make deals that solidify their position, but it also requires a vision for the iBookstore. Where do they want it to be in 5-10 years?

These things happen. Other articles have come up where it went the other way with different companies. The ones I remember involved Samsung, such as the Liquid Metal exclusive license. I know others on here have mentioned that Samsung also used PA semi prior to the buyout, but I can't find verification of that. This kind of thing seems inevitable considering the sizes of the companies involved.

• Reply 5 of 20
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

"It doesn't matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don't read anymore...The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don't read anymore."

--SJ

1/15/2008

• Reply 6 of 20
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Here's what I found in about five seconds on Google:

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/question/answers/product/MD623LL/A/can-you-buy-ibooks-with-an-itunes-gift-card/QFPXPFDXUUCFYDUPD

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/apple-now-selling-ibooks-gift-cards/

However, if you're wanting to gift an iBook from the comfort of your sofa without having to purchase a physical iTunes gift card, it looks like one cannot do that "at this time".  

• Reply 7 of 20
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

"It doesn't matter how good or bad the product is, the fact is that people don't read anymore...The whole conception is flawed at the top because people don't read anymore."

--SJ

1/15/2008

The consummate marketeer.

• Reply 8 of 20

I prefer reading books in iBooks as opposed to Kindle. Just wish the selection was better.

• Reply 9 of 20
    pfisherpfisher Posts: 758member

Apple seems so slow now. Pretty sad.

The thing I disliked about Goodreads is that the Nook is not recognized on their site when you put a review or currently reading. Kindle is there, though! If you have Nook, you have to select "Other reader" or some such thing.

Don't use iBooks, Prefer Barnes and Noble store and Amazon. iBooks doesn't have the appeal to me for some reason. Don't like the bookshelf concept.

• Reply 10 of 20
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pfisher View Post

Apple seems so slow now. Pretty sad.

The thing I disliked about Goodreads is that the Nook is not recognized on their site when you put a review or currently reading. Kindle is there, though! If you have Nook, you have to select "Other reader" or some such thing.

Don't use iBooks, Prefer Barnes and Noble store and Amazon. iBooks doesn't have the appeal to me for some reason. Don't like the bookshelf concept.

Open iBooks --> Scroll up to reveal search bar and view toggle --> Tap on the three horizontal bars to put your view in list mode. Done, no more bookshelf!

• Reply 11 of 20
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member

Quote:

Originally Posted by isaidso View Post

Whew.  Thank god Apple didn't buy them. Apple should save that money for a rainy day. 'cause you never know when things might not be so great for them.

Nothing was mentioned about Apple purchasing them.

• Reply 12 of 20
    brutus009brutus009 Posts: 356member
    I would have enjoyed goodreads integration with my iBooks purchases. :P
  • Reply 13 of 20

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    So am I the only who prefers iBooks over Kindle? I mean, Apple should get a native iBooks reader for Mac and that would probably make me 100% happy, but I;ve never clicked with Kindle. I mean, I suppose it's good for people that own a Kindle in addition to an iPad/iPhone, but since I don't own a standalone Kindle I just stick to my iPad.

Anyways, I have a Goodreads account, never use it that much. Would have probably been neat integration but I don't believe it's a loss.

• Reply 14 of 20
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member
    It's unfortunate that this happened being a customer of both I would have preferred
    Apple to already Amazon even after the legal actions of said price-fixing?

Also you can gift iBooks straight from iTunes or iBook-store unfortunately it's only
    audio-ibooks for some reason!?

I do use Goodreads & @ first when Amazon bought it it was hobbled, they've made
    improvements & there still is the integration with FB which I don't use & never will.
  • Reply 15 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexmarrero View Post

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }
    So am I the only who prefers iBooks over Kindle? I mean, Apple should get a native iBooks reader for Mac and that would probably make me 100% happy, but I;ve never clicked with Kindle. I mean, I suppose it's good for people that own a Kindle in addition to an iPad/iPhone, but since I don't own a standalone Kindle I just stick to my iPad.

Anyways, I have a Goodreads account, never use it that much. Would have probably been neat integration but I don't believe it's a loss.

they do have an ipad/iphone app

apple needs to have a reader available for all platforms, not just Mac

• Reply 16 of 20
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

apple needs to have a reader available for all platforms, not just Mac

Why? 

• Reply 17 of 20

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Why? 

because i'm not going to buy an ibook unless its easy to read even if i don't have my ipad handy

i can read a kindle book on my ipad, iphone, PC, Mac and a variety of devices that start from $50. Not just a $300 ipad. for a while i was looking to supplement my ipad with a $50 kindle or $99 kindle fire or cheapo android tablet to read because i couldn't take my ipad to work with me

• Reply 18 of 20
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    al_bundy wrote: »
    ...because i couldn't take my ipad to work with me

Why can't you take your iPad to work?
  • Reply 19 of 20
    airbubbleairbubble Posts: 105member

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

Because it would get stolen by samsung thugs! 

• Reply 20 of 20
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    airbubble wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Because it would get stolen by samsung thugs! 

Just what an iPad needs; a Kensington lock ¡