DVD RAM question....

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I have a DVD RAM drive from a G4. I wanted to buy a cartridge or two to back up some data... Thing is.. this is what Apple's website says....

The DVD-RAM drive reads and writes the following DVD discs in cartridge:

Single-sided 2.6 gigabyte (GB) DVD-RAM Type 1 cartridge (disc not removable) and Type 2 cartridge (disc removable)

Double-sided 5.2 GB DVD-RAM Type 1 cartridge (disc not removable)

Single-sided 4.7 GB DVD-RAM Type 1 and Type 2 cartridge (Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) only)

Double-sided 9.4 GB DVD-RAM Type 1 and Type 2 cartridge (Power Mac G4 (Gigabit Ethernet) only)

I installed the DVD Ram drive in a Blue & White G3 400 (it was pulled from a G4). Thing is... I don't know if that G4 was gigabit ethernet or not. I would like to burn on the larger disks.... but don't know if the drive I have supports it or not. HELP?

EDIT:

Okay, I think I figured this out. I remember the G4 I pulled it from did NOT have an ADC connector on the video card (which was a problem since we bought a 21 inch flat screen to use on it). The description from Apple-History.com says this about the Gigabit Ethernet computers:

"All configurations included a 56k modem, Apple's Pro Mouse, and the innovative new Apple Display Connector (ADC) which passed video, power, and USB to new Apple Monitors from a single connection."

Which would lead me to believe that since this computer did NOT have an ADV (it has a DVI and VGA) then it must not be a Gigabit, and must only support the smaller disks. Am I correct in assuming this???

[ 09-08-2002: Message edited by: Not Unlike Myself ]</p>

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    xaqtlyxaqtly Posts: 450member
    Sounds like you got it right to me.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    Xaqtly, were do you go to get be certified Mac tech, College, Mac stores, where?

Back to the thread. What I would do is just experiment with the two different disc, see which ones work and which one's don't.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Prometric has the certification course. There's prometric outlets all over the place, you should be able to find one.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    Bit off topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread -

Can anyone give me some information about the part numbers of components within Apple's machines (I know that the information is not freely available)? Specifically the new PowerMac G4 DPs? Is it possible to order spare parts through a 'friendly service provider'?
  • Reply 5 of 5
    [quote]Originally posted by DaveLee:

<strong>Bit off topic, but I didn't want to create a new thread -

Can anyone give me some information about the part numbers of components within Apple's machines (I know that the information is not freely available)? Specifically the new PowerMac G4 DPs? Is it possible to order spare parts through a 'friendly service provider'?</strong><hr></blockquote>

There's a better option, IMHO, if you have an Apple Store retailer in your area: Hand the computer to the guys behind the Genius Bar, and tell them what's wrong. One of the end-users I support at the office had to do this with his PowerBook Ti, because he had managed to crack the motherboard (don't ask). They shipped it to Texas to have it fixed for a flat fee of a few hundred dollars or there-abouts.

At the very least, they'll be able to tell you your options, and possibly even where to find the parts you seek.