Former Apple graphic designer Susan Kare creates 'sticker pack' for Path app

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Susan Kare, former Apple designer and creator of the famous icons used in the original Macintosh operating system, is the latest artist to have a "sticker pack" featured in popular social networking app Path.

Kare Stickers
Sampling of Susan Kare's Path sticker pack. | Source: Path

Path stickers, or large embeddable artwork meant to be used as buffed emoticons in the app's messaging service, were first introduced in an update last month. Sold in packs through "The Shop," an in-app store that also sells camera filters, the stickers feature designs from various artists and help monetize Path, which is free to download.

Kare is the latest contributor to the sticker series and created a set of food art presented in her signature 8-bit style.

"I designed the stickers of iconic food in a limited grid, hoping they can be useful literally (want to get coffee?) and creatively as symbols (e.g. You?re the cream in my coffee) and add some visual shorthand and humor to messages," Kare said in an interview posted to the official Path blog. "As someone whose car has more than a few stickers, I know they can be a fun way to communicate."

As part of the short Q&A, Kare briefly recounted her time at Apple and waxed poetic about design philosophy, saying she tries to follow her hero Paul Rand's credo to "create solutions to design problems that are meaningful and memorable."

Kare's sticker pack is available now for $1.99 through Path's in-app shop.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

So, here we are almost four months into the year, we've barely heard a peep out of Apple, and we're reduced to stories like this.

I bet heroin addicts don't suffer withdrawal symptoms this bad.

I haven't had a keynote in months and I'm seriously starting to get the shakes...

• Reply 2 of 16
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I like the silence from Apple. It is indicative of focus.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    Long live Clarus the dogcow!
  • Reply 4 of 16
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Love her stuff. I used to have her Apple "bomb" mug. Her "Steve Jobs" icon is amazing. I don't know how she does it.

Edit:  Oh... and   Moof!

• Reply 5 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdriftmeyer View Post

Coming from you, and seeing the refinements of their various software packages recently, I'll take that to be reassuring.

Unfortunately, I have a problem being impatient at times.

Fortunately, it's only when I have to wait.

• Reply 6 of 16
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I must officially be old because I don't get path or why you'd want to spend $2 for virtual stickers.

Even Willy Wonka didn't make a public appearance for years and yet his sales and popularity were high. Wonka's closest competitor Samsung, I mean Slugworth, couldn't top Wonka no matter what unethical methods were tried.
  • Reply 7 of 16

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

I must officially be old because I don't get path or why you'd want to spend $2 for virtual stickers.

Even Willy Wonka didn't make a public appearance for years and yet his sales and popularity were high. Wonka's closest competitor Samsung, I mean Slugworth, couldn't top Wonka no matter what unethical methods were tried.

Sweet!

LOL!

(Did you see what I did there?)

• Reply 8 of 16
    solipsismx wrote: »

You're old if you're still talking about money. It's all about Bitcoins now.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    ash471ash471 Posts: 705member

Quote:

I don't get why Wall Street buys into the hype about social networking.  Social networks give away a service for free and have no way to monetize their user base.  Stupid virtual stickers is a great example of just how ridiculous the options are.  Seriously?  Their business plan is to sell virtual stickers?

And facebook isn't much better at it.  Facebook puts up shitty irrelevant adds as though this were 1999.  Hello Facebook...anybody home?  There is a reason Google replaced Yahoo in online advertising. Google posts relevant ads.  If Facebook doesn't take control of the search box, they are never going to make any real money.  Nobody wants to see irrelevant ads plastered all over their computer screen.

Just wait, somebody is going to figure out how to monetize social networking and Facebook is going to be the next Yahoo.  The question is, who is going to be the "Google" of social networking.  Will it be Google or someone else?

• Reply 10 of 16
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    I love the original Mac icons, I wish the current OS had a little more whimsy.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 13 of 16
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Quote:

Think of Path as a more private social network, if that makes any sense.  You can't access or search it on the web so everything you post is only seen by your friends. You're limited to 150 friends because you're supposed to use it with only people you actually know. Also there are zero ads on Path.  There's talk of Path offering a paid service later this year that would offer more features than the free one.  That's how it stands out from other social networks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ash471 View Post

I don't get why Wall Street buys into the hype about social networking.  Social networks give away a service for free and have no way to monetize their user base.  Stupid virtual stickers is a great example of just how ridiculous the options are.  Seriously?  Their business plan is to sell virtual stickers?

As for stickers.  You may not get them (I don't either), but they've been a HIGE success for Path.  In their first month of availability Path got more money from them than an entire years worth of revenue from their camera filters.  Something that I see as much more useful.  Not surprisingly, Path has been introducing new sticker bundles about every other week.  Now Facebook has introduced stickers too.  Time will tell if they have the same success with stickers as Path has had.

Remember "free" social networks are selling you as a product.  They may not be getting money from you but they make a pretty penny from selling information about the things you post.  Your interests, location, places you visit is all information that advertisers have no problem paying good money to get. To a free social network Subscribers = Cattle.

• Reply 14 of 16
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I sure hear ya.  Pretty hard these days though. Jaded, Jaded, Jaded. The freshness of personal (and personalized) computing back then (particularly Macintosh) was a thing to behold. So glad I was around to experience that.

For now... Well, just hope you enjoy Facebook. (personally I have as much interest in that kind of technology as i do in being raped)

• Reply 15 of 16
    am8449am8449 Posts: 392member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

I agree.  It seems to me that people nowadays don't love their Apple products as much as they did in the early days.

A Mac used to be friendly, approachable, and whimsical; so you could really fall in love with it.  Nowadays, a Mac is sleek, stylish, and cool; more like something you admire than love.

• Reply 16 of 16
    hmmhmm Posts: 3,405member

Quote:

I don't see how it's any different from spending that on real stickers, assuming some ability to place them wherever you wish.

Colbert Links? He also did impressions of Wilford Brimley calling him.