Serving Two Masters: DIgital Hub vs. Graphics Pros

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    For everyone in this thread who plans on buying a PC:

What do you do with your computer?

Will the increased MHz make a difference?

What else about the PC will make your experience better?

Will anything make it worse?

Why did you buy a Mac in the first place?

Does your reason for using a Mac no longer apply?

Do you only want a PC because of its specs or do you truly believe it will make your life easier and happier?
  • Reply 22 of 32
    spookyspooky Posts: 504member
    <strong>

What do you do with your computer? </strong>

3D Modelling & Animation (Max / Poser), Video editing and fx (Premiere/ After FX), CD Rom authouring (Director etc), Web Design, Graphic Design/Imaging (photoshop) etc

<strong>Will the increased MHz make a difference?</strong>

Oh Yes

<strong>What else about the PC will make your experience better? </strong>

More slots to add in RT cards, Uncompressed Video, etc. Ability to buy High End graphics cards. Able to run a wider variety of 3D packages. I can get Director, Dreamweaver, PShop etc right now, Its easier to buy gear for it

<strong>Will anything make it worse?</strong>

hell Yes, its a damn windows PC

<strong>Why did you buy a Mac in the first place?</strong>

Its a mac - nuff said

<strong>Does your reason for using a Mac no longer apply?</strong>

I'm questioning my faith

<strong>Do you only want a PC because of its specs or do you truly believe it will make your life easier and happier?</strong>

I want power & performance and to feel that what little money I have was well spent
  • Reply 23 of 32
    leonisleonis Posts: 3,427member
    [quote]Originally posted by Kevin Hayes:

<strong>For everyone in this thread who plans on buying a PC:</strong><hr></blockquote>

What do you do with your computer?

Graphic stuff (can do MUCH faster with PC), Multimedia stuff (can do with PC), web stuff (can do with PC), sometimes print stuff (has to stick with Mac because of the color management)

Will the increased MHz make a difference?

ABSOLUTELY!

What else about the PC will make your experience better?

With the same price of the PowerMac I can get a fully equiped PC with kick ass video card, massive HD, Monitor (not LCD), FAST CPU!

Will anything make it worse?

Windows and M$, and the fan noise

Why did you buy a Mac in the first place?

My DTP course in school forced me to buy

[b]Does your reason for using a Mac no longer apply?

Starting to lose faith in Apple and MOTOROLA unless Moto suddenly dies tomorrow.

Do you only want a PC because of its specs or do you truly believe it will make your life easier and happier?

PC is faster so I can do other stuff

PC is cheaper so I can have more saving

.....enough whining
  • Reply 24 of 32
    Back to Jet Powers' original thoughts...

I think Apples target of late has clearly been the consumer. Yeah we pro's feel left out, but I am sure that it won't be for long. If growing market share is your goal, the low end consumer market is the place to play. Give the novice a simple, elegant, gadget that excites them aesthetically, wows them experientially.... that is where the iMac triumphs. Not many seasoned pros are going to spend years learning their software on wintel just to jump over to the Mac when and if it has a mhz bump over the PC. Likewise, the pro level Mac user has been a mac user for years, they are the chior that doesn't need the preaching. Many in the graphics / web / audio realm got started on macs and will likely stay that way unless IS department heads intervene. Many 3D folks began with Unix or PC based programs and Mac has to work hard to woo them. Maya is not worth a sh*t on the high end mac right now. The very fact that they wrote it for OSX makes me feel they were given promises of a G5.

I do agree that the Pro level consumer is a critical market. After all you gotta build the Dodge viper to get people excited about the neon right? I am the Pro level consumer, and sure, in these "transition" months, I feel like my setup is a scant shade above the iMac my mom is gonna buy for her emails. But I understand that the growth potential is wooing that new computer buyer. That undecided novice who isn't spending hours on some compuer forum taking all this so seriously.

Give it time. Apple is smart and strategic. They are developing pro level software and making pro level partnerships that will mature right on par with their processor capabilities. They wouldn't wast the time if they knew they were going to abandon the Pros.

For all of you that are bailing out on the mac :confused: TROLLL! Apple has lead almost every computer trend except the current mhz race. I expect they will lead many more. You'll be back
  • Reply 25 of 32
    Yes, I think it is important that Apple stays in both markets.

High end macs will come, and I'm optimistic that they'll be every bit the speed demons that everyone wants. Until they do, I'll be content with my G4 400. I can wait.

• Reply 26 of 32
    Of course Apple has to keep releasing flat out cool products that blow the doors off of the competition. Apple needs to distance themselves from the PC world in terms of better performance, and quickly. Apple needs the high end to by symbolic of the company itself and right now it isnt. I think the next PM upgrade might change all of the doubters into outright Apple fanatics. I can see it now, a G5 running at....never mind, I dont believe in the Mhz myth.

Apple needs to give pros a reason to stay and migrate to the Mac. Usually Apple does have good hardware on the pro end, right now it is long in the tooth but then again so was the iMac.
  • Reply 27 of 32
    applenutapplenut Posts: 5,768member
    [quote]Originally posted by sizzle chest:

<strong>

EIGHT times faster? Exactly what are you trying to do with your computer that any Athlon/P4 can do EIGHT times faster than a DP800?

Besides which, the DP800 isn't likely to be the high-end Powermac much longer.</strong><hr></blockquote>

perhaps if the price wasn't in another galaxy you would have a point
  • Reply 28 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by applenut:

<strong>

perhaps if the price wasn't in another galaxy you would have a point</strong><hr></blockquote>

I'm not saying the price/performance on an Athlon machine isn't better than a Powermac, at least for some things. I just objected to the guy's assertion that the fastest PC is 8 times faster than the fastest Mac.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    marcukmarcuk Posts: 4,442member
    1) I thought I'd made it clear that the current high end PC was eight times faster than the machine I already own, a G4 400.

2) WTF is wrong with some people. Always accusing you of spec envy/general retardation if you say you need a very powerful computer. Are you guys like 15 years old with nothing better to do all day than judge other peoples lives around your own sad existance?

IN the REAL world, people get paid, go to jobs (youve heard about them right?) and customers are always screaming down the phone and shortening deadlines. If you screw up, you're history. There is nothing I cant do on my slow G4 that I can do on a dual XP monster. BUT if I spend all day looking at a progress bar, I am not earning much money, My customers are pissed I missed a deadline and soon my business starts to suffer, because my competitors have got new monster dual XP's and I havn't. Its quite simple really. Don't ****ing spanish inquisition everyone who says they need a computer faster than a dual800. Open your ****ing eyes.

OK?
  • Reply 30 of 32
    [quote]Originally posted by MarcUK:

<strong>1) I thought I'd made it clear that the current high end PC was eight times faster than the machine I already own, a G4 400.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

You did, later, but when I made my first remark about doubting the "eight times" thing, I thought you were talking about a "Fastest PC versus Fastest Mac" comparison.

I for one think you should use whatever platform gets your work done. If the amount of work you can get done in a day is directly related to raw CPU power, then not only should you buy a dual Athlon, but you should have bought one a long time ago.
  • Reply 31 of 32
    bungebunge Posts: 7,329member
    If all your computer is to you is a source of income that's directly related to CPU speed then current Macs aren't for you. For some of us, the more enjoyable user experience is worth some dollars, and currently some speed as well.