Microsoft, partners readying iPad mini competitors for later this year

Comments

• Reply 21 of 70
    chabigchabig Posts: 641member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

As long as there are premium devices that include it though they will always be my device of choice.

What is your technique for juggling SD cards? Do you carry them all with you all the time? What happens when the one your application needs isn't inserted?

• Reply 22 of 70
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

What is your technique for juggling SD cards? Do you carry them all with you all the time? What happens when the one your application needs isn't inserted.

Having extra storage still outweighs any little annoyances. I think having to delete files to make room for new ones is a bigger problem for me anyway. 

• Reply 23 of 70
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Applelunatic View Post

Good for you. You're a niche use case.  Even Google thinks the SD card isn't necessary hence why there has never been one in a Nexus device. And the fandroid mantra is that the Nexus devices are the greatest things since sliced bread.

Actually the new Nexus 7 will have one, look it doesn't matter, I like them so I will buy devices that have them. I especially love having one because of my Canon 5D, take pictures then simply plug in the SD into tablet.

• Reply 24 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by GadgetCanada View Post

The surface mini is less crappy because it's smaller. Although it's cpi (crap per inch) is the same as the larger surface

Yes, but is it retina-crappy?  So crappy it becomes impossible to distinguish the individual bits of crappiness?

• Reply 25 of 70

Quote:

Actually the new Nexus 7 will have one

No it won't. And again, great that you'll by an SD card slot device. It's still fun to mock the people who have and still whine about its absence in iPads.

• Reply 26 of 70
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    The surface mini is less crappy because it's smaller. Although it's cpi (crap per inch) is the same as the larger surface

Is that like saying that stepping in chihuahua crap is less annoying than stepping in German Shepard crap cause its smaller.

Cause for me they both stink
  • Reply 27 of 70
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

If every other tablet with "competitive pricing" has failed why should anyone believe that this steaming pile will have any different impact? Wasn't the Surface and Surface Pro supposed to have already killed off the iPad since with the Pro we were finally getting the "enterprise-ready" tablet? Also, are you going to be able to clickety-clack your Surface mini while dancing around like an idiot like you could with the original?

Microsoft surface doesn't actually have "competitive pricing" though.  It is priced competitively (actually just a bit higher) than the average small laptop, but it competes (supposedly) with tablets.  A surface is priced higher than a MacBook Air.  

• Reply 28 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

Is that like saying that stepping in chihuahua crap is less annoying than stepping in German Shepard crap cause its smaller.

Cause for me they both stink

Yeah, but with the Mini Surface you'll get to clickity-clack your keyboard and dance around like an idiot. Instead of, you know, using the device.

• Reply 29 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Microsoft surface doesn't actually have "competitive pricing" though.  It is priced competitively (actually just a bit higher) than the average small laptop, but it competes (supposedly) with tablets.  A surface is priced higher than a MacBook Air.  

True, but my comment about "other tablets" were references to the Android tablets that supposedly had the "competitive pricing" to take on the iPad. The Nexus 7 and Kindle Fires were supposed to be such devices. Yet despite some initial hype and fanfare they've mostly been paper tigers.

There's no reason to believe that Mini RT tablets will be any less sucky than the Surface.

• Reply 30 of 70

Quote:

Yeah, but with the Mini Surface you'll get to clickity-clack your keyboard and dance around like an idiot. Instead of, you know, using the device.

The Mini Surface will be made especially for the Glee market. Clickity-clack dance routines and singing for everyone

• Reply 31 of 70

Quote:

Having extra storage still outweighs any little annoyances. I think having to delete files to make room for new ones is a bigger problem for me anyway. 

If only someone would invent something where you could store files on something other than the device itself. And then when you wanted, you could sync those files seamlessly across your devices. Even better is if you could stream, for example, your music from the service as well. It's a shame no one has come up with such a solution yet.

• Reply 32 of 70
    focherfocher Posts: 687member

Readying iPad "competitors"? I do not think that word means what they think it means.

• Reply 33 of 70
    relic wrote: »
    Actually the new Nexus 7 will have one, look it doesn't matter, I like them so I will buy devices that have them. I especially love having one because of my Canon 5D, take pictures then simply plug in the SD into tablet.

I'm assuming you mean the Canon 5D Mark III... since that is the only Canon 5D with an SD card slot.

And I'm also assuming you use a MicroSD to SD card adapter... since tablets don't usually have a full-size SD card slot.

I wish more tablets had a regular SD card slot... that would be the easiest. Or you could use WIFI to get images onto the tablet.

Side note... my ultimate dream is to have a tablet with a video-IN port... I'd love to use a tablet as an external monitor for my camcorder.
  • Reply 34 of 70
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

I don't get why that's funny, those are still features that a lot of people seek and why a lot of us still prefer Android.

Then go to an Android site will ya?

• Reply 35 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    chabig wrote: »
    What is your technique for juggling SD cards? Do you carry them all with you all the time? What happens when the one your application needs isn't inserted?

That's like saying people have to juggle SD cards in cameras. I don't think they generally do that. It just offers the ability to expand capacity later.
  • Reply 36 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffDM View Post

It just offers the ability to expand capacity later.

Or with a couple of apps you can have 100s of GB of free extra storage and it syncs between all devices without needing to keep track of your SD cards.

• Reply 37 of 70
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    Or with a couple of apps you can have 100s of GB of free extra storage and it syncs between all devices without needing to keep track of your SD cards.

Apparently you didn't understand the point of my post. I'll clarify. Just like I bought a camera with 2GB memory card, later, I upgraded to a 32GB memory without replacing the camera... ...or having to saturate my data plan with a tablet example. The old card just stays in a drawer or gets used for some other device.

With my example, there's no "keeping track" of cards, you just upgraded it like upgrading the hard drive in a computer to a bigger one.

The new device model seems to expect owners to replace devices. I really like the camera model, one camera was sold with a 1GB CF card and now I use a 32GB CF card in it. It makes the camera more useful.
  • Reply 38 of 70
    bigmac2bigmac2 Posts: 639member

Quote:

As a tech geek I do agree USB and SD port on tablet sound essential, but as a tech consultant I've got to realize most users doesn't master their own HD content, Windows UI is notorious for obfuscating the real Filesystem structure to common users with overcrowded start menu. Almost every days I've got to help someone who lost a file on their own computers.  Truth is, the actual desktop computing paradigm is aging fast and is not optimal for mobile and tablet device, Microsoft tried for almost 15 years to bring a Tablet PC, and new Surface iteration still follow the same doomed path. 

Apple has paved the way with the iPad, they defined tablet to be likes game console with walled garden and secure and profitable ecosystem for either users and developers. 

• Reply 39 of 70
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

That can't be! The iPad is a complete failure because it doesn't have a memory card slot or a real filesystem. /s

Not speaking for anyone else, let me put that one to rest by saying this:

The iPad is indisputably an overwhelming success.

I would like it more if it had a memory card slot and a real file system.

How's that? :)

• Reply 40 of 70
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

What is your technique for juggling SD cards?

Technique? I dunno, similar to the way I keep track of what's on various hard drives around the house I guess. What's to manage?

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

Do you carry them all with you all the time?

I take the one (or two) I might need for any given task or project on any given day.

Quote:

Originally Posted by chabig View Post

What happens when the one your application needs isn't inserted?

I insert it.

If I don't have the right card with me, I either check if the file I want is on the cloud (if wireless service is available, which it often isn't in my circumstances, hence my desire for removable storage in the first place), or I live without it until I get home, exactly the same way I would WITHOUT removable storage.

Obviously your circumstances are such that removable storage is not a value proposition for you. I get that. What I don't get is why you would express animosity towards someone who might like it? Why would you care one way or the other?