RadioShack expands sales of Apple's Mac peripherals and accessories

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
In an expansion to its existing Apple product lineup, which was previously limited to iOS devices and accessories, as well as a handful of Mac-compatible wares, RadioShack quietly initiated sales of new Mac peripherals like MacBook Pro power adapters.

RadioShack

The addition to RadioShack's Apple offerings, spotted by AppleInsider reader Jim, comes on the heels of a similar move from office supply chain Staples, which in February announced it would begin selling the Cupertino, Calif.-based company's products.

According to one RadioShack employee, the MacBook Pro power adapters and other Mac-related equipment started shipping to brick-and-mortar stores within the past two to three weeks.

While the chain now carries most of the Apple's peripheral and accessory lineup, including Apple's USB SuperDrive, wireless AirPort devices and a multitude of cables, among other hardware, it has yet to sell the computers these devices support.

As noted by MacRumors, RadioShack also added an "Accessories" section to its dedicated Apple product page, consolidating older hardware with "new entries like the Magic Mouse, Magic Trackpad, wireless keyboard and wired keyboard with numeric keypad.

Checks with various physical stores have found most items to be in stock, with pricing in line with the Apple Store.

The company has been an iOS device vendor for years, and in March of 2012, was noted as being the first Apple Authorized Reseller to take pre-orders for the third-generation iPad, beating out big-box retailers like Best Buy.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Normally I'm against Apple resellers' advertising being in a different font than whatever one Apple has chosen for the product, but RadioShack did this tastefully and tried to match Apple's style, so it's sort of cool. 

The serifs are huge, but hey.

• Reply 2 of 12
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member

The most popular Mac accessory I see at people's houses is some kind of external USB drive. I think Apple could make some sweet profits by making one of their own.

• Reply 3 of 12

This is great for places that don't have Apple Stores near by.

More sales for Apple.

• Reply 4 of 12
    r00fusr00fus Posts: 245member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

The most popular Mac accessory I see at people's houses is some kind of external USB drive. I think Apple could make some sweet profits by making one of their own.

You mean like their Time Capsule?  External USB drives are usually to fuel Time Machine.  What's more profitable than a $300-$500 Time Machine companion (compared to your average $150 for USB drives)?

• Reply 5 of 12
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

Radio Shack is still in business?

• Reply 6 of 12
    I love my time capsule, good stuff
  • Reply 7 of 12
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member

The Radio Shack is a little old place where we can get together,

Radio Shack baby! Radio Shack baaayy-beee!

That name triggered my nostalgia reaction.

• Reply 8 of 12
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    Great song; playing it now!
  • Reply 9 of 12
    jlanddjlandd Posts: 873member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Surprisingly active, not that I get anything there except for solder and that kind of stuff, which is now .005 % of their business, unlike the RS of yore.  There are literally three of them within a mile walking radius of me in Brooklyn, NY, and they're never empty.  Just goes to show us.  What do we know  :   )

The Radio Shack that you could count on to have electronics and circuit board parts in stock is of course sadly no longer around.  That was a nice world where if you needed $3 of capacitors and resistors you could just go to a RS and get them.   They share a certain thing with Apple in that if they did what their original devotees wanted from them they'd be out of business, and are much more successful not holding on to that.  They left serving the DIY home electronics market and lost that .005% and went into selling mostly the same stuff everyone else does but that's a big enough pond for sharing.

Sure hate when I need those $3 of parts and have to order (elsewhere) online and put more stuff in the basket at just to make the minimum order and then wait two weeks, but I can't blame them for realizing that's a bad way for a brick and mortar store to hit their numbers.  The fact that no one sells the things they abandoned in stores anymore says a lot.

• Reply 10 of 12
    superbasssuperbass Posts: 688member

Quote:

• Reply 11 of 12
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank777 View Post

Yes.  I bought my 32gig iPhone 5 there around the holidays.  It was $50 off and I traded in my 4 for like $100.  Total price was $245 with Applecare.

• Reply 12 of 12
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

I wasn't kidding. They've had problems with their Canadian operations for a long time, and pulled out of Canada entirely six years ago.

I had wrongly assumed they'd been similarly decimated south of the border.