Samba/Jaguar question

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I decided to bring my TiBook into work today and try out Jaguar's new built-in capability to browse Windows networks for file servers.

I have a PC at home, by the way, and have successfully connected to a shared volume from that PC using Jaguar.

Today, I found that I could browse all of the many file shares available on the network at the office -- but whenever I try to mount any volume, all I get is:

"An error has occurred (error = -36)."

I suspect this has something to do with not being logged into the domain in which these volumes reside. But if so, how do I resolve that? I was expecting to have a dialog come up to ask me for my username and password, but all I get is this error.

Do I need to manually type something into the address box, "smb://blah.blah.blah/???"? If so what might that be? (And if so, so much for the nice, intuitive GUI I'd hoped for )

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    <a href="http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/sharing/windowsshare.html"; target="_blank">This</a> might help.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    It may also have something to do with encrypted passwords - as in, the Windows shares use encrypted passwords and OS X doesn't. I do know that's one of the reasons I can get onto some SMB servers here, but not others. It may also have something to do with the differences between Win98 andWin2000.
  • Reply 3 of 6
    shetlineshetline Posts: 4,695member
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong><a href="http://www.apple.com/switch/questions/sharing/windowsshare.html"; target="_blank">This</a> might help.</strong><hr></blockquote>

No joy. I tried all the variations I could think of that make sense, and still kept getting good ol' error -36.

I'll have to ask our IT guy (who doesn't know much about Macs, but isn't Mac-o-phobic) if he can guess what the problem might be.

If it's one of the issues Xaqtly mentioned, perhaps that means there is no solution?

I did, by the way, succeed in sharing in the other direction, by having my Mac act as a Windows file server. I couldn't browse to it from my Windows system, however, I had to get to it via IP address.

Not very elegant yet!

[ 09-11-2002: Message edited by: shetline ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    hey i am having a similar problem. I have gotten erros -36, -50, and -5023. i am trying to share with my friends pc in my dormroom. he is running windows 98. and i ave everything turned on right in both systems. his can never see mine. and mine can never lgin to his. but he still can ride off with my bandwith when he gets on the internet since i have internet sharing on too. but we cant exchange music.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    jbljbl Posts: 555member
    I don't even get that far. I can't even see any of the servers on our network. Could this be because our Windows workgroup has the same name as the AppleTalk zone?

It worked fine with DAVE under 10.1.4.
  • Reply 6 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by JBL:

<strong>I don't even get that far. I can't even see any of the servers on our network. Could this be because our Windows workgroup has the same name as the AppleTalk zone?

It worked fine with DAVE under 10.1.4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Your first resource should be <a href="http://www.macwindows.com"; target="_blank">MacWindows</a>

I've found tons of helpful hints there...