Volkswagen preps iPhone-integrated iBeetle for reveal next week

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Volkswagen is taking iPhone compatibility to new level, with plans to unveil next week the iBeetle, a version of its iconic brand with a built-in docking station and specialized app.

ibeetle

At the Shanghai Auto Show next week, Volkswagen will take the wraps off both the iBeetle and the iBeetle Convertible. The two models are scheduled to launch at the beginning of 2014 (via iLounge). The cars will be the first from the Volkswagen group to feature the iPhone as an integrated component.

Future Volkswagen iPhone compatibility will be accomplished through two means: as an app and through the iBeetle's built-in docking station. Plugging an iPhone into the docking station will allow users to take advantage of most of the features of the handset. Users will be able to use the iPhone to navigate, to make hands-free calls, listen to music, and more.

The Beetle app allows the iPhone to connect to the Beetle either with a docking station or wirelessly. Users can play tunes through Spotify and iTunes, have Facebook and iPhone message read aloud through the car's speakers, share their location as a digital postcard, and share photos taken within the car to social network. The app also gives the option to display vital stats of the Beetle, including a G-meter measuring lateral acceleration, oil and coolant temperature gauges for the engine, a chronometer, and a compass.

Volkswagen has not specified which models of iPhone the iBeetle dock will be compatible with. Including a built-in dock takes iPhone-integration a step further than most other automakers. While they may not be building in docks, a number of other major automakers are rolling out integration with Apple's "Eyes Free" Siri feature, allowing users to interact with their devices without taking their attention from the road. Earlier this year, Chevrolet became the first to debut models with Siri integration, rolling out its Sonic and Spark.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 61
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

I hope they offer some kind of a retrofit kit for current VW owners...

• Reply 2 of 61
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Plugging an iPhone into the docking station will allow users to take advantage of most of the features of the handset
    "Most of the features"?
    So we lose some of the iPhone features by using it in the iBeetle dock?
    Users will be able to use the iPhone to navigate, to make hands-free calls, listen to music, and more.
    And?
    The iPhone already does all this without a dock.
  • Reply 3 of 61
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    chris_ca wrote: »
    "Most of the features"?
    And?

It's my understanding that the driver can use the built-in controls in the car to control the iPhone.
  • Reply 4 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

"Most of the features"?

And?

Why not wait and see what those lost features are until it comes out?  Jeez...  for all you know it may mean you can't use your headphone jack.

• Reply 5 of 61
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member

And in 5 years when that technology is no longer supported, the entertainment system will be rendered useless.

• Reply 6 of 61
    doh123doh123 Posts: 323member

my VW's system with bluetooth already works great... why would I need a dock?  This is like a news story over having a place to sit your phone in your car on the dash...?  I guess it can be useful... I don't see how it could be a major selling point though.

• Reply 7 of 61
    scotty321scotty321 Posts: 313member
    Lame. I can already do all of this via Bluetooth in my Toyota Prius. People have been integrating their iPhones with their cars for 6 years already.
  • Reply 8 of 61
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,092member

Wow.. seems like the every know-it-all is out here today.  I guess we can stop all future development of everything.  You guys have it all figured out... /s

• Reply 9 of 61
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Originally Posted by doh123 View Post

my VW's system with bluetooth already works great... why would I need a dock?  This is like a news story over having a place to sit your phone in your car on the dash...?  I guess it can be useful... I don't see how it could be a major selling point though.

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

Lame. I can already do all of this via Bluetooth in my Toyota Prius. People have been integrating their iPhones with their cars for 6 years already.

Without a mount (or dock), neither of you could possibly have all the same functions as it won't work well (or legally) to give you driving directions.  This would be why almost every GPS unit ever sold for cars actually attaches to the dashboard or windscreen.  If you are picking up your phone to look at the directions, you're "doing it wrong" and are a danger to everyone on the road.  

So … you're both full of it IMO.  

As someone else already said, why not actually wait to see what they announce?

• Reply 10 of 61

Great! It's a start.

I won't even consider Fords because of the Window's "installed!"

• Reply 11 of 61
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Disgusting. They want to showcase their concept with a weak, foreign rehashed death trap. How about using a real American symbol of innovation- Charger, Cherokee SRT, anything like that!
  • Reply 12 of 61
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Originally Posted by Gazoobee View Post

Without a mount (or dock), neither of you could possibly have all the same functions as it won't work well (or legally) to give you driving directions.  This would be why almost every GPS unit ever sold for cars actually attaches to the dashboard or windscreen.  If you are picking up your phone to look at the directions, you're "doing it wrong" and are a danger to everyone on the road.  

So … you're both full of it IMO.  

As someone else already said, why not actually wait to see what they announce? 

What??? An iPhone (or any other device) is perfectly capable to give directions over bluetooth. If you want to look at the screen, then yes, a mount is useful, but most cars with that level of electronics support have their own GPS (mine is integrated with SiriusXM, so has real time traffic info -- I am guessing this is pretty common)  so this is a moot point.

• Reply 13 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Disgusting. They want to showcase their concept with a weak, foreign rehashed death trap. How about using a real American symbol of innovation- Charger, Cherokee SRT, anything like that!

What response are you intending to get, other than "WTF is a Cherokee SRT? Some car named after a tribe you wiped off the face of the earth?"

• Reply 14 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by christopher126 View Post

Great! It's a start.

I guess you don't use banks or fly on airplanes or, umm, do almost anything.

• Reply 15 of 61
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    Great! It's a start.

Although I am more excited about Apple's Eyes Free, Sync was ahead of the class for a long time. Ford sold a lot of vehicles because of the feature.
  • Reply 16 of 61

Totally against this. Now there are at last two displays competing for the attention of the driver taking his/her attention off of the road which is where it SHOULD BE. The more displays and gadgets in the car competing for the attention of the driver, the greater a safety risk that driver possesses to other motorists. I know some of you will argue against this, but the fact is that driving is what should be commanding the most attention of the person that is driving behind the wheel.  A number of states seem to agree with me.  Three examples:  Alaska, which has a law that "prohibits drivers from using electronic devices with a visual display while driving"; A Massachusetts law that "prohibits drivers from sending a text or instant message, use of electronic mail, Internet access, using a phone for GPS navigation, and all of the above on electronic devices including phones, laptops, pagers, or other hand-held devices", and New York, where "No person shall operate a motor vehicle while using any portable electronic device while such vehicle is in motion".  And before you reply, your argument lies not with me, but with the legislatures that create these laws, and with the State Police that are in charge of enforcing them.

Reference:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texting_while_driving#Existing_laws

• Reply 17 of 61
    tbelltbell Posts: 3,146member
    igriv wrote: »
    I guess you don't use banks or fly on airplanes or, umm, do almost anything.

Or go to the grocery store.
  • Reply 18 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

Any idea who owns the "real American symbol" Cherokee? image

• Reply 19 of 61
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Any idea who owns the "real American symbol" Cherokee? :lol:

I own a Jeep. Been around since 1911 and done many a job on many a continent. I'd dig a iPad Mini dock integration.
  • Reply 20 of 61

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChristophB View Post

I own a Jeep. Been around since 1911 and done many a job on many a continent. I'd dig a iPad Mini dock integration.

You have been around since 1911? And still keeping up with the latest technology? We are not worthy...