Using Parallel

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Question; would I need to install antivirus for Windows when running under Parallel on my MAC?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

Yes. Windows is subject to 1000s of viruses and other malware. Windows running under Parallels is Windows. 

• Reply 2 of 6

Tx Mr. Me, much appreciated

• Reply 3 of 6
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    IMHO, don't use Parallels or VM etc. I have found them to be slow, RAM hogs etc. if you can't avoid having Windows in the mix then get an inexpensive actual Windows machine. Or use an old Mac machine you have and Boot Csmo it and let it live in Windows. I did this with an old Mac Mini I was planning to sell. Works way better than using a virtual machine etc. I had two of them actually. One was set for Windows and the other was downgraded back to Snow Leopard for some old software that needs Rosetta and both work way better than using Parallels.
  • Reply 4 of 6

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlituna View Post

IMHO, don't use Parallels or VM etc. I have found them to be slow, RAM hogs etc. if you can't avoid having Windows in the mix then get an inexpensive actual Windows machine. Or use an old Mac machine you have and Boot Csmo it and let it live in Windows. I did this with an old Mac Mini I was planning to sell. Works way better than using a virtual machine etc. I had two of them actually. One was set for Windows and the other was downgraded back to Snow Leopard for some old software that needs Rosetta and both work way better than using Parallels.

I've been using Parallels and XP for well over a year now. I've experienced no problems whatsoever. And by having an ACD (where I run Windows) set up beside the iMac on my desk, this essentially allows me to run Mac OS and Windows side by side when I want to. On the RAM side, I bumped the system up to 16 gigs right off the bat. And maybe that's why I've never noticed the concerns that you mentioned. But RAM is so cheap now, why not do that anyway?

A fellow I work with just bought a Mac mini and he's running Fusion with both Win7 and XP. He says he loves it. For those of us who cannot get away from Windows and don't want to clog up our offices and desks with multiple machines, IMO, these are great software solutions.

• Reply 5 of 6

@ Charlituna: 1st of all tx for the response, however allow me to disagree with your post. I have installed parallel and have windows 7 running on my macbook pro with with 8Gb RAM and is fast as lightning. Very happy took this road instead of bootcamp.

• Reply 6 of 6

@ Jag_Warrior; same thing I have installed both parallel and windows 7 and it works just great, no problems with speed whatsoever, tx for the response.