LG Display's profits grow, but reports cite 'weakened' demand for Apple's iPhone & iPad

Comments

• Reply 21 of 88
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by EricTheHalfBee View Post

Another useless comment by an analyst who doesn't seem to get that component orders don't track with quarterly sales.

Best thing that could happen tomorrow is all the analysts look silly and the reduced orders are not accurate, due to yield issues, etc.  The reality is that is unlikely given every data point is negative and the most recent rumors are that even the 5S and other items are now delayed beyond original plans.  I don't really see the benefit of releasing everything all at once again as Apple appears to be heading again this year, giving the competition a big window to bash Apple and tout their own 'innovation.'  I think Tim Cook needs to be prepared to fight.  He mocked several analysts on the call last quarter saying their supply chain checks weren't telling the entire story.... well if they got it right, he rightly deserves some 'how did you miss this' questions. 

I should note there were a number of stories discussing Cook's future, or lack thereof, this weekend.

• Reply 22 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Prove they are, then.

He really means that Apple isn't at fault¡ He thinks the iPod was just dumb luck. He thinks iTunes was luck. He thinks the success of a quality, high end PC was luck. He thinks the MBA was luck. HE thinks the iPhone was luck. He thinks the App Store was luck. And he thinks the iPad was luck. Every success Apple has ever had has not been caused by their efforts but sheer dumb luck¡
  • Reply 23 of 88
    al_bundyal_bundy Posts: 1,525member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

If WS is so accurate, why haven't they accurately predicted the success of Apple in the last 10 years?

they haven't? the stock price had gone up before earnings almost every time. in early 2012 all the apple blogs were blogging how cirrus logic and other suppliers had monster quarters and then apple followed as well

funny how in jaunuary 2013 a lot of apple suppliers reported after apple

• Reply 24 of 88
    gatorguy wrote: »
    I'm surprised too! A few years back some of the Apple products at McDonald's had to be recalled due to listeria fears. 

The Listeria sounds like the name of a Carnival cruise ship.
  • Reply 25 of 88
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

The story mentions the fact that Apple is responsible for 30% of LG's display business, so I don't think this is about mindshare. It seems clear that Apple will not have a great quarter (all of the supply chain indications are negative), but on the bright side, this seems priced into the stock at this point.

The only known data-point so far is Verizon had 25% growth of the iPhone and Android either held steady with no growth or slid 1%. The rest is wild tea leaves.

• Reply 26 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

The only known data-point so far is Verizon had 25% growth of the iPhone and Android either held steady with no growth or slid 1%. The rest is wild tea leaves.

Not to mention Foxconn announcing sales for March and Cirrus pre-release.  Both negative but also both known data points.

• Reply 27 of 88
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bdkennedy1 View Post

Market is getting saturated.

Nonsense.

There is no limit to the number of iPhones and iPads they can sell, simply because there are always a lot of people and companies who just get the newest versions regardless (see the iPad 4 outselling the iPad 3 that only came out 6 months before).

133 million people are born every year so "quite a lot" of people every year fall into the "need a phone now" bracket.

Existing phone owners are generally on a 24 month contract so there is a natural 2 year rotation of new phones.

There are Android users who have eventually listened to what their friends have told them and decided to try out an iPhone.

There are kids who have a job now and want to upgrade that "iPad" that their parents bought them to an actual iPad.

Nearly limitless repeat sales and that's not taking into account the 3 or 4 year rotation on Macs or any new category products that Apple release.

• Reply 28 of 88
    steven n.steven n. Posts: 1,229member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Best thing that could happen tomorrow is all the analysts look silly and the reduced orders are not accurate, due to yield issues, etc.  The reality is that is unlikely given every data point is negative and the most recent rumors are that even the 5S and other items are now delayed beyond original plans.  I don't really see the benefit of releasing everything all at once again as Apple appears to be heading again this year, giving the competition a big window to bash Apple and tout their own 'innovation.'  I think Tim Cook needs to be prepared to fight.  He mocked several analysts on the call last quarter saying their supply chain checks weren't telling the entire story.... well if they got it right, he rightly deserves some 'how did you miss this' questions. 

I should note there were a number of stories discussing Cook's future, or lack thereof, this weekend.

Another lie?  Seriously?

The ONLY data point we have so far is 25% growth of iPhone activations on Verizon. You call this "negative"? I don't think that word means what you think it means. LG never divulged their customer spit so this is a weak data point at best given we know Samsung (that reported an increase in delivers - another lie about all data points being negative) and Sharp are also LCD suppliers to Apple.

Your "discussions" are led by people like Rob Enderle (a paid shill for HP, Dell and MS that has hated Apple for decades) and masterful stock manipulator Douglass Kass. These people all have strong vested interests against Apple's success.

• Reply 29 of 88
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    Cook does not really have a responsibility to the stock price. His responsibility is to ensuring the company spends money wisely and makes a profit. If the investors are stupid enough to sell off stock at a discount because of blatant media manipulation, they are getting what they deserve. If they want to move their money over to Amazon with its escalating losses and infinite P/E, go ahead. Cook's future depends on continuing to grow Apple's profit.

Apple's profit for last quarter could be more profit than any US company has made ever. Some financial news sites will still have headlines calling it a miss. Is it criminal manipulation? Probably. Will anyone ever doing anything about it? No. If you are not a professional, you should not make short term securities investments (I will call short term anything you plan holding less then 10 years). It all works out in the end.
  • Reply 30 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Another lie?  Seriously?

The ONLY data point we have so far is 25% growth of iPhone activations on Verizon. You call this "negative"? I don't think that word means what you think it means. LG never divulged their customer spit so this is a weak data point at best given we know Samsung (that reported an increase in delivers - another lie about all data points being negative) and Sharp are also LCD suppliers to Apple.

Your "discussions" are led by people like Rob Enderle (a paid shill for HP, Dell and MS that has hated Apple for decades) and masterful stock manipulator Douglass Kass. These people all have strong vested interests against Apple's success.

I should have said I don't think the VZ data is positive - in my opinion - due to the large numbers of older models sold, which will pressure ASPs and could lead to a revenue miss.  Further is indicates slowing growth (which is the concern) despite the absolute growth.  To each is own, some have view the VZ data point as positive, some as negative.

I didn't see Kass or Enderle write anything this weekend.  Stories were on Forbes, Seeking Alpha and The Street, neither of which I consider quality publications so didn't link, but there is indeed increased chatter about whether Tim Cook should be shown the door.

From Barrons:

"Speaking of Apple, a piece by contributor Gene Marcial of Forbes.com is getting some attention this morning. Marcial writes that some “sources close to some APple executives” say there is “a move afoot” to replace CEO Tim Cook. CNBC jumped on that bit of speculation this morning, asking BGC’s Gillis “how much time does he have left,” to which Gillis replied, “I think till the end of the year."

• Reply 31 of 88
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    Gotta love to see posters have a coronary here at a rumor site.
  • Reply 32 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wovel View Post

Cook does not really have a responsibility to the stock price. His responsibility is to ensuring the company spends money wisely and makes a profit. If the investors are stupid enough to sell off stock at a discount because of blatant media manipulation, they are getting what they deserve. If they want to move their money over to Amazon with its escalating losses and infinite P/E, go ahead. Cook's future depends on continuing to grow Apple's profit.

Apple's profit for last quarter could be more profit than any US company has made ever. Some financial news sites will still have headlines calling it a miss. Is it criminal manipulation? Probably. Will anyone ever doing anything about it? No. If you are not a professional, you should not make short term securities investments (I will call short term anything you plan holding less then 10 years). It all works out in the end.

>>Cook does not really have a responsibility to the stock price. His responsibility is to ensuring the company spends money wisely and makes a profit. If the investors are stupid enough to sell off stock at a discount because of blatant media manipulation, they are getting what they deserve.>>

The biggest (i..e #1 and #2) holders of Apple stock were selling last week.  You don't honestly think they care what the media says do you?  Cook does have a responsibility to create maximum shareholder value.  That is the #1 goal of any public company CEO.

>>Cook's future depends on continuing to grow Apple's profit.>>

Current estimates are for Apple's profits to shrink this fiscal year.

>> If you are not a professional, you should not make short term securities investments (I will call short term anything you plan holding less then 10 years).>>

Now that is funny.

• Reply 33 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    al_bundy wrote: »
    they haven't? the stock price had gone up before earnings almost every time. in early 2012 all the apple blogs were blogging how cirrus logic and other suppliers had monster quarters and then apple followed as well

funny how in jaunuary 2013 a lot of apple suppliers reported after apple

They haven't. That is why Apple has blown away the consensus estimates.
  • Reply 34 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

For all the doom and gloom the analysts and trolls shove onto Apple the fact that hardly any other company gets mentioned when these vendors have dozens if not hundreds of customers is proof that Apple still holds all the cards when it comes to mindshare.

A bit off topic. I wish Apple would simply stop using LG panels the quality really seems to be inconsistent. Lately I have been reading a lot about image retention and yellow screens on new iMac and rMBP displays. In some cases there are hundreds or pages about these issues on the Apple support forums.

I'm not sure if these are widespread issues or just a minority of people bitching a lot. With Haswell around the corner there have been some really good deals on 13" rMBP's but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on one because of this issue. Figured I would ask you or anyone else here if they have an opinion on this issue.

• Reply 35 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Every success Apple has ever had has not been caused by their efforts but sheer dumb luck¡

Well, idiots will buy anything, after all. How else do you think Apple is able to price its crap hardware so high?¡

• Reply 36 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

133 million people are born every year so "quite a lot" of people every year fall into the "need a phone now" bracket.

Existing phone owners are generally on a 24 month contract so there is a natural 2 year rotation of new phones....

133 million worldwide.

Many commenters here have reminded us that the 24 month contracts are a USA phenomenon, not a global one. And despite the attempt to create hardware churn in the USA on a 2 year cycle, many of us prefer to use what we have a lot longer, hence the rising interest in the non-subsidized monthly plans offered by T-mobile, StraightTalk, VirginMobileUSA, and others.

While I don't agree that there is no limit to the number of iPhones that can be sold, I do think we are still far from reaching the limit.

• Reply 37 of 88
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

How important is Apple? So important that every tech co, has to be tied to it to collect eyes. And that goes for good, bad and the irrelevant.

• Reply 38 of 88
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

...and what percentage of Samsung's screen business, oh and Sharp's screen business?

Maybe the SEC should start looking into all the bullshit going on with all these articles which are affecting Apple's stock and see who is behind them.

My guess is a South Korean based company with an open chequebook to pay off bloggers.

Apple don't own the stock, why should they give a f*ck, their focus should be to just keep on making and selling great stuff.

A south korean company only cares about its own share price (unlike Apple, which, apparently does not). The question of why Apple SHOULD care has been beaten to death on other AI forums, so if you don't have a clue yet, you probably never will.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

• Reply 39 of 88
    A bit off topic. I wish Apple would simply stop using LG panels the quality really seems to be inconsistent. Lately I have been reading a lot about image retention and yellow screens on new iMac and rMBP displays. In some cases there are hundreds or pages about these issues on the Apple support forums.

I'm not sure if these are widespread issues or just a minority of people bitching a lot. With Haswell around the corner there have been some really good deals on 13" rMBP's but I have been hesitant to pull the trigger on one because of this issue. Figured I would ask you or anyone else here if they have an opinion on this issue.

Everything I've seen points to the Retina IPS panels being LG's design but LG's manufacturing really does seem quite poor. I much prefer Samsung's manufacturing of these displays. Same goes for the SSD Cards using Samsung controllers over Toshiba. For all their ethical faults Samsung has repeatedly shown to have the best foundries.
  • Reply 40 of 88
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

133 million worldwide.

Many commenters here have reminded us that the 24 month contracts are a USA phenomenon, not a global one. And despite the attempt to create hardware churn in the USA on a 2 year cycle, many of us prefer to use what we have a lot longer, hence the rising interest in the non-subsidized monthly plans offered by T-mobile, StraightTalk, VirginMobileUSA, and others.

While I don't agree that there is no limit to the number of iPhones that can be sold, I do think we are still far from reaching the limit.

#next_pages_container { width: 5px; hight: 5px; position: absolute; top: -100px; left: -100px; z-index: 2147483647 !important; }

Well, two year plans are in effect vendor financing for expensive devices, and I am amused to see that T-mobile has actually came out with a straight-up financing plan. I am curious how this will fly...