LG Display's profits grow, but reports cite 'weakened' demand for Apple's iPhone & iPad

Comments

• Reply 41 of 88
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Well, idiots will buy anything, after all. How else do you think Apple is able to price its crap hardware so high?¡

Don't forget the iSheep will buy multiples of all iDevices. How else can you explain the record sales every qtr. /s
  • Reply 42 of 88
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    Perfect. Post muncher strikes again and got post "eaten". But its okay for the in-crowd to troll each other, or to "troll" on number 2 spot and call evryone a troll when they respond to them.
  • Reply 43 of 88
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steven N. View Post

Another lie?  Seriously?

The ONLY data point we have so far is 25% growth of iPhone activations on Verizon. You call this "negative"? I don't think that word means what you think it means. LG never divulged their customer spit so this is a weak data point at best given we know Samsung (that reported an increase in delivers - another lie about all data points being negative) and Sharp are also LCD suppliers to Apple.

Your "discussions" are led by people like Rob Enderle (a paid shill for HP, Dell and MS that has hated Apple for decades) and masterful stock manipulator Douglass Kass. These people all have strong vested interests against Apple's success.

Just because you disagree with something does not make it a lie (and calling it a lie makes you a jerk).

• Reply 44 of 88
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mhikl View Post

And that goes for good, bad and the irrelevant.

• Reply 45 of 88
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    igriv wrote: »
    Just because you disagree with something does not make it a lie (and calling it a lie makes you a jerk).

No, he's an amateur advocate of the truth going up against a professional purveyor of lies. You, of course, are sensitive to this dynamic.
  • Reply 46 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    [image]

Don't forget The Ugly...

• Reply 47 of 88
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    jdnc123 wrote: »
    I should have said I don't think the VZ data is positive - in my opinion - due to the large numbers of older models sold, which will pressure ASPs and could lead to a revenue miss.  Further is indicates slowing growth (which is the concern) despite the absolute growth.  To each is own, some have view the VZ data point as positive, some as negative.
    the split between 5 and older models from Verizon didn't really change from last quarter. And from Apple's conference call last quarter, iPhone ASP didn't fluctuate much. So we have no hard data yet to suggest ASP for iPhone will be down this quarter. What we do have is a lot of people putting a negative spin on every data point (or assuming a negative data point is related to Apple) and expecting the worst.
  • Reply 48 of 88
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

the split between 5 and older models from Verizon didn't really change from last quarter. And from Apple's conference call last quarter, iPhone ASP didn't fluctuate much. So we have no hard data yet to suggest ASP for iPhone will be down this quarter. What we do have is a lot of people putting a negative spin on every data point (or assuming a negative data point is related to Apple) and expecting the worst.

That is probably accurate and to add something positive, I don't think additional 4S sales are bad for margins....could actually be additive to gross margin % even if ASPs are moderately lower than the 5.

• Reply 49 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

No, he's an amateur advocate of the truth going up against a professional purveyor of lies. You, of course, are sensitive to this dynamic.

You are correct that I am sensitive to this, since I have been trying to do the same. I actually own and use apple products (there are about five of them on my desk right now), and I also own Apple stock (something that has not brought me much happiness lately) , which is why I would rather Apple were managed intelligently. At the moment it is not, as shown by the deep observation that it has lost 30% of the stock price (market adjusted) in the last year or so. Despite your views that this is a criminal cabal trying to screw your beloved gadget maker, that's not how the world works -- the market is losing confidence in the management and voting with its wallet DESPITE the good numbers, which leaves fundamentals investors like myself, David Einhorn, and (I am guessing) jdnc123 flummoxed: it feels wrong to sell the stock, but every day you get punished for holding it.

Do you get it? No, I didn't think so.

• Reply 50 of 88
    Explain why the stock is up today with this slew of negative news? Investors buying on these rumors of Cook getting the boot? Stock down so much last week that its cheap now and people want to get back in?
  • Reply 51 of 88
    That is probably accurate and to add something positive, I don't think additional 4S sales are bad for margins....could actually be additive to gross margin % even if ASPs are moderately lower than the 5.
    I don't remember the exact figures last quarter but do know the ASP was very close to the ASP from the previous quarter. However if i remember correctly the ASP for iPad was lower suggesting a higher mix of mini/iPad 2 sales.
  • Reply 52 of 88

Quote:

Explain why the stock is up today with this slew of negative news? Investors buying on these rumors of Cook getting the boot? Stock down so much last week that its cheap now and people want to get back in?

You obviously haven't read what I said before: the stock is up because the bad news is baked into the price, or so people think, so they think that the only surprise could be to the upside (but it is not up a lot, so people are obviously quite wary).

• Reply 53 of 88
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

There was a couple of upgrades in the mix of downgrades today.  The pressure has been unrelenting of late, maybe a seller or two took the day off.  Some could be speculating on an announcement on the cash balance (although others feel nothing will be announced),   Buyside has to start thinking sellside cuts getting close to baked in.  Maybe the market believes Cook will actually appear credible, in charge and articulate a plan.  Just the calm before the storm?

• Reply 54 of 88
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    You obviously haven't read what I said before: the stock is up because the bad news is baked into the price, or so people think, so they think that the only surprise could be to the upside (but it is not up a lot, so people are obviously quite wary).

What a position to take: Stock up means people already realize how shitty Apple is; stock down means people are just realizing how shitty Apple is. :no:
  • Reply 55 of 88
    nairbnairb Posts: 253member

Quote:

Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

133 million worldwide.

Many commenters here have reminded us that the 24 month contracts are a USA phenomenon, not a global one. And despite the attempt to create hardware churn in the USA on a 2 year cycle, many of us prefer to use what we have a lot longer, hence the rising interest in the non-subsidized monthly plans offered by T-mobile, StraightTalk, VirginMobileUSA, and others.

While I don't agree that there is no limit to the number of iPhones that can be sold, I do think we are still far from reaching the limit.

24 month contracts are very popular in Europe as well. You can get 12 month ones but per minute and per GB is much more expensive.

• Reply 56 of 88
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    You are correct that I am sensitive to this, since I have been trying to do the same. I actually own and use apple products (there are about five of them on my desk right now), and I also own Apple stock (something that has not brought me much happiness lately) , which is why I would rather Apple were managed intelligently. At the moment it is not, as shown by the deep observation that it has lost 30% of the stock price (market adjusted) in the last year or so. Despite your views that this is a criminal cabal trying to screw your beloved gadget maker, that's not how the world works -- the market is losing confidence in the management and voting with its wallet DESPITE the good numbers, which leaves fundamentals investors like myself, David Einhorn, and (I am guessing) jdnc123 flummoxed: it feels wrong to sell the stock, but every day you get punished for holding it.

Do you get it? No, I didn't think so.

Hey, you said you are part of a criminal cabal, I didn't. (Just kidding.)

I just think you guys are playing hardball FUD mongering against Apple for money.

If i'm wrong, my apologies.

It's not about anybody's beloved gadget maker. It's about whether an American company can win by doing a good job in a new technology industry while still being good global citizens.

The corollary is that they are going up against established businesses that aren't such good global citizens. It's a struggle with epic, mythic, overtones, so there is a fan base cheering them on and taking it very personally. These are your "KoolAid" drinkers, like me. I hate to see the good side lose because the other side plays unfairly, with lies and creepy propaganda.

Edit: added "Just kidding"; I see you took out the KoolAid reference.
  • Reply 57 of 88
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Whether Apple had a good quarter or not we'll all see for sure tomorrow.
  • Reply 58 of 88

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

... I would rather Apple were managed intelligently. At the moment it is not, as shown by the deep observation that it has lost 30% of the stock price ...

This is poor reasoning.  In the short run the stock market resembles an overly emotional adolescent, not some genius, efficient price-calculating machine.  The same adolescent pushed the price to $700 then down to $400.  Apple and its management are rational and patient; the market is emotional and knee-jerk.

• Reply 59 of 88
    On the front page of Yahoo finance is a headline blaring: Bracing For Disaster; How Low Will Apple's earning be. The hyperbole has now reached ridiculous levels. And it seems not an hour of the day goes by without someone pushing out negativity. Honestly is there anything Apple has done to warrant all this negativity, and downright hate in some quarters?
  • Reply 60 of 88
    There was a couple of upgrades in the mix of downgrades today.  The pressure has been unrelenting of late, maybe a seller or two took the day off.  Some could be speculating on an announcement on the cash balance (although others feel nothing will be announced),   Buyside has to start thinking sellside cuts getting close to baked in.  Maybe the market believes Cook will actually appear credible, in charge and articulate a plan.  Just the calm before the storm?
    So what exactly was Cook when the market was running the stock up to $700? What has Cook done differently now than he did last spring/summer?