Apple donates $8M to Chinese earthquake recovery efforts

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
In response to a powerful earthquake in the city of Ya'an, China, Apple has pledged $8 million to aid in recovery from the disaster.

China

The company updated its website in China on Monday with a note acknowledging the quake, which occurred in the Sichuan province. A machine translation reveals that the note tells visitors that Apple officials offer their "deepest condolences" over the disaster.

The company also separately issued a press release in which it revealed it would donate $8 million U.S. to the victims. The company's full statement follows:
In this difficult time, our hearts are with the victims of the Sichuan earthquake closely linked in addition to the form of cash donations to help the affected people to tide over their difficulties, we are also committed to the new Apple device as part of the disaster area schools, Apple employees at any time in the local stand-by to help.
The Ya'an earthquake occurred on Saturday, with the epicenter in Lushan County, which is about 72 miles from Chengdu. The quake had a magnitude of 7.0.

So far, 186 people are confirmed dead, with more than 10,000 injured.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 38
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    One way to buy goodwill with the Chinese I guess.
  • Reply 2 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    WS spin: iDevice sales struggling prompting Apple to bribe the Chinese with goodwill.
  • Reply 3 of 38
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

This is only going to get far worse in the future.

I expect a lot of apologies and bowing from Apple to the authoritarian Chinese govt in the years ahead, as Apple tries to make inroads into that place.

• Reply 4 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    God, I hope SOME of it gets through to the victims...
  • Reply 5 of 38

They had better be careful.  They are going to be held liable for ANY and ALL actions that come from the use of their donated money. I can see the headlines now, "Apple sued by Chinese earthquake victims due to ....insert ridiculous reason here"

• Reply 6 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

They had better be careful.  They are going to be held liable for ANY and ALL actions that come from the use of their donated money. I can see the headlines now, "Apple sued by Chinese earthquake victims due to ....insert ridiculous reason here"

Right, because cautious non-involvement is always the best policy when disaster strikes. /s

The article doesn't mention it but Samsung also donated several million to the relief efforts.

• Reply 7 of 38
    mhiklmhikl Posts: 471member

Some pretty cold judgemental responses. It looks like so much deaths and suffering do not count empathy a benefactor when happening far from home.

• Reply 8 of 38
    luxom3luxom3 Posts: 96member

FWIW this is pretty awesome... as much as I enjoyed the products under Steve Jobs - Apple's attitude of corporate charity sucked under his leadership.

Say all you want haters... but Apple's $8M is way more than any of you guys have given toward this disaster.

Come on guys... 10,000 people hurt. 

• Reply 9 of 38

mstone

you are a fucking idiot...

• Reply 10 of 38
    mstone,

it is such pity that low life such as you could live. how dare you put that horrific picture!!! do you the despicable have joys of doing it?

• Reply 11 of 38
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Don't care how much money you donate Apple, it won't get you Goodwill and don't expect an end to future harassment by China's government!

/

/

• Reply 12 of 38
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuxoM3 View Post

FWIW this is pretty awesome... as much as I enjoyed the products under Steve Jobs - Apple's attitude of corporate charity sucked under his leadership.

Say all you want haters... but Apple's $8M is way more than any of you guys have given toward this disaster.

Come on guys... 10,000 people hurt. 

Why would anyone hate this gesture?  It may or may not be calculated.  Who cares?  People desperately in need will be helped.  Kudos to everyone volunteering and helping in any form.

• Reply 13 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ericthered View Post

When has that ever happened?

• Reply 14 of 38
    mgsarchmgsarch Posts: 50member
    $8m for the Chinese yet no public statement I'm aware of or charitable contribution to those affected by the Boston bombing or Texas explosion. Nice of Apple to make this contribution to the Chinese during such a tragic natural disaster but ... it smells funny amid all the recent reports of anti-Apple forces in China.
  • Reply 15 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

"AAPL stock nose-dives even further as Apple carelessly spends it's remaining cash on hand, prompting doubt as to whether the company can even remain solvent in it's current state". Apple rumored to pull back from the consumer market and mobile industry, to focus it's limited resources on the enterprise server market"

• Reply 16 of 38
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgsarch View Post

$8m for the Chinese yet no public statement I'm aware of or charitable contribution to those affected by the Boston bombing or Texas explosion. Nice of Apple to make this contribution to the Chinese during such a tragic natural disaster but ... it smells funny amid all the recent reports of anti-Apple forces in China.

I'm sorry, but why and how the **** does Boston need donations? How is that even comparable AT ALL TO A NATURAL DISASTER?

Can you point me to the thousands dead and the massive loss of infrastructure in Boston? The suspects are dead/apprehended, and no doubt the injured are getting the best care possible- and- wait for it- are not starving to death.  It takes a special type of person to denigrate donation towards the thousands of victims of a natural disaster in an impoverished area that is a humanitarian crisis, because of some personal agenda in trying to imply favoritism. Apple has donated towards natural disasters numerous times in the past. 

Use your head next time, otherwise you run the risk of sounding like a complete bigot. Yes, the people being helped are Chinese. That seems to make you uncomfortable, because that's the only reason I can think of that you would resort to such an asinine analogy in order to attack the contribution. Pretty disgusting. 

• Reply 17 of 38

I think this is wonderful. As a shareholder, I would have actually preferred that Apple donated a substantially bigger sum, say $100 million (~¢10 per share, less than 1/1500th of their cash pile).

Something like that would have not only blown them away, but the sheer value of the goodwill generated with a gesture like that -- in what is surely Apple's second-most important market (and most important supply base) -- would have been incalculable.

• Reply 18 of 38

Quote:

Wow. Disasters do sometimes bring out the worst in people, I guess.image

• Reply 19 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Awful tragedy. Good on Apple for being a good neighbor.
  • Reply 20 of 38
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

Quote:

Regardless of the reasons, you have no say in how Apple decides to use their own money.