Rumor: Apple returned batch of 8 million defective iPhones to Foxconn

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 57

I just read on Investor Place that along with the 5 million (it's 5 on that site) phones being returned, and "Unnamed Apple Executive" hinted to Forbes  that Tim Cook tenure is about done.  You know how Apple never keeps things secret!  And what a great thing for an Apple Executive to do, call Forbes!

• Reply 42 of 57
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Unless it's a 'mission' ;)

I've always taken issue with Mission: Impossible. It really should be Mission: Improbable.
  • Reply 43 of 57
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    Ah yes, now lower Apple iPhone sales because of this!
    What are the hedge funds paying for these negative to Apple stories.

So sad and stupid that Apple Insider publishes Apple Outsider stories!
  • Reply 44 of 57

US production would be a way to prevent such big mistakes. Even just US assembly would be better than nothing.

When is the US assembly plant for the unnamed icomputer going to be ready?

• Reply 45 of 57
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Smallwheels View Post

US production would be a way to prevent such big mistakes.

Why? Americans can't make mistakes? Can't make big ones?

• Reply 46 of 57
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member
    Oops! Subtract genuine China iphone sales by 8 million. "Appel Strore" across China are getting 8 million packages in the mail.
  • Reply 47 of 57
    bwikbwik Posts: 565member

And stuff.

• Reply 48 of 57
    elrothelroth Posts: 1,201member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fithian View Post

I heard it was 23 million units returned (from an anonymous source).

I heard it was 40 million, and they were returned because nobody wanted to buy them. And they were full of radiation, too.

• Reply 49 of 57
    v5vv5v Posts: 1,357member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[...] It's called security. Because it's the security code. Is this difficult for you to comprehend?

You're either too lazy to figure out that you can change that or you don't have an iDevice in the first place. I KNOW the latter isn't true, so…

I gotta be missing something here... I also defeated the security code because, like igriv, I found it a nuisance to have to enter it every single time I use the device. Get a text, enter the code to respond. Put the phone back in my pocket. Get another text, enter the code again. Got an email. Enter the code. Wanna check what time the game starts tonight, enter the code... you get the idea.

I understand that this is obviously necessary to provide security, but like igriv, I find that it's inconvenient enough for me to take my chances with a thief being able to access whatever I have on the phone. Are you saying that I'm missing something?

• Reply 50 of 57
    v5v wrote: »
    I gotta be missing something here... I also defeated the security code because, like igriv, I found it a nuisance to have to enter it every single time I use the device. Get a text, enter the code to respond. Put the phone back in my pocket. Get another text, enter the code again. Got an email. Enter the code. Wanna check what time the game starts tonight, enter the code... you get the idea.

I understand that this is obviously necessary to provide security, but like igriv, I find that it's inconvenient enough for me to take my chances with a thief being able to access whatever I have on the phone. Are you saying that I'm missing something?

Security and convenience are always dichotomies of each others. If you have had to input it in every single time then you had it set to Immediately. Why not go for 15 minutes, 1 hour or 4 hours instead of just turning it off completely?
  • Reply 51 of 57
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Security and convenience are always dichotomies of each others. If you have had to input it in every single time then you had it set to Immediately. Why not go for 15 minutes, 1 hour or 4 hours instead of just turning it off completely?

I thought you would say that. The reason to use the code is if you leave the phone unattended for a while, you don't want someone to peek at your bits. 15 minutes might be OK, 1 hour is clearly too long, might as well turn it off altogether.

• Reply 52 of 57
    igriv wrote: »
    ...1 hour is clearly too long, might as well turn it off altogether.

"That's the problem with trolls: no concept of gradation, it's either all or nothing."
  • Reply 53 of 57
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

"That's the problem with trolls: no concept of gradation, it's either all or nothing."

Another non-sequitur. A sequitur? Please? Not some gratuitous assholitude? You can do it! Or can you?

• Reply 54 of 57

Ballmer would give his left nut if 5 to 8 million Microsoft Surfaces moved anywhere...

• Reply 55 of 57
    Don't they check 1 out of 100, or more. Does that mean the whole 100 is sent back? This must cost a lot for 8 million made, 8 million shipped twice
  • Reply 56 of 57
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Not a credible report. With the millions of phones Apple has shipped, it's not easy to imagine millions of phones would pass quality checks, then fail quality checks.

People have short memories.

Remember back when the iPhone 5 first came out, there were widespread customer reports of chipped and even dented phones from the first production shipments?  Some stores reported that every new iPhone 5 they opened had some cosmetic problem.  Millions were sold the first week.

Remember also reports of Foxconn workers walking off the assembly line in protest, because they were getting blamed for the damage due to having to handle the new aluminum case, even while also being asked to keep up their output?

So it's at least a bit believable that a few million of the first iPhone 5s made it out to stores with many having cosmetic problems.  Throw in some of the usual 6% return rate (~2 million per quarter) for other reasons, and it could easily add up to at least four million.  Not sure I would believe 5-8 million, unless that was for a couple of quarters or more.

No doubt quite a few will end up as refurbished phones, which helps cut the cost to Foxconn.

• Reply 57 of 57
    Watch out for falling Foxconn employees.