New Yahoo iOS app launches, integrates Summly's technology

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Yahoo has launched a new version of its flagship iOS app, one that brings a redesigned interface as well as integration of popular news summarization service Summly's technology.

yahoo

When Yahoo purchased Summly in March for an estimated $30 million, the company revealed that Summly's team would be rolled into Yahoo's own. The impact of that acquisition can be seen now in Yahoo's mobile search technology, CEO Marissa Mayer said Monday in a post to Yahoo's corporate blog.

The new Yahoo mobile app uses Summly's natural-language algorithms and machine learning to deliver quick summaries of news stories in a user's feed. The app now also personalizes story feeds based on a user's interest and gives users the ability to select topics they want more stories about.

Summly is one of the higher profile acquisitions Mayer has made since taking over the Internet giant in June of 2012. Tasked with sparking growth in a company said to have grown stagnant, Mayer has aligned Yahoo on the mobile axis, calling for revamps of existing apps and products even as the company shutters underperforming projects.

yahoo

Reportedly, Yahoo is looking to tie itself more closely to Apple, as the two companies have discussed greater integration between their products. Such collaboration could take the form of Yahoo News and other web properties coming preloaded in iOS devices, with a heavier focus on Siri integration.

Version 3.0 of Yahoo's iOS app is available in the App Store. The 15.9MB download is compatible with the iPhone 3GS or above, third-generation iPod touch or above, and the iPad. It requires a device running iOS 5.1 or later.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 17

Believe me, Yahoo! is really doing good.  Yahoo! mail iPad app is really cool.  

Marissa is directing the ship in good direction. The only problem is, Y! is touching the ground. (No hole luckily). 

• Reply 2 of 17
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Ah, Appleinsider, the press agent's friend.

• Reply 3 of 17
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Yahoo needs to update their logo - its looking tired.

• Reply 4 of 17
    Yahoo's new app looks good - just downloaded. Not really a fan of yahoo! homepage, I find it too busy. But, I will probably use this app for news updates.
  • Reply 5 of 17
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Watch out Google Android, glass, gmail, goggles, play, plus, and maps. iOS has Yahoo.

Yahoo?
  • Reply 6 of 17
    bdkennedy1bdkennedy1 Posts: 1,459member
    Yahoo needs to change its logo completely. Their logo screams, "Don't take us seriously!" the internet is mature now and their logo isn't.
  • Reply 7 of 17
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
  • Reply 8 of 17
    hittrj01hittrj01 Posts: 753member
  • Reply 9 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

Yahoo's new weather app is amazing! Kicks everyone else's ass!

http://techcrunch.com/2013/04/18/yahoos-surprisingly-gorgeous-new-ios-weather-app-centers-around-crowdsourced-photos/

I completely agree! The weather app is the best there is. Marissa's doing a good job!

• Reply 10 of 17

The new apps really are nice and more Siri integration would be good, the more she can do the better.

• Reply 11 of 17

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

And this just screams "I'm all business"

I think its better than the 50 shades of grey Apple's iOS/OS X are sporting...

• Reply 12 of 17
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by tookieman2013 View Post

The new apps really are nice and more Siri integration would be good, the more she can do the better.

She is not allowed to do very much in terms of controlling third party apps, at least not to the same degree that she is integrated with Apple's own apps. Third parties can convert dictation to text but are not allowed to interpret any commands as far as I know. Others may have more updated info as I have not been beta testing lately.

• Reply 13 of 17
    moxommoxom Posts: 326member
    Loving the Weather App - well done Yahoo!
  • Reply 14 of 17
    carthusiacarthusia Posts: 583member

Love the weather app, HATE the app icon. I couldn't have that thing on my home screen, so I tucked it inside a folder.

• Reply 15 of 17
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by hittrj01 View Post

And this just screams "I'm all business"

Not really, but that is irrelevant, no? The logo on the app's splash screen looks better (HD), but the logo has been around for a long time (since v-low res days), and could do with an update. I don't like the Google logo either and it is my guess that at some point in the future it will be 'streamlined' by going monochrome and dropping the drop shadows - and probably the font, too. Apple did that a while ago, so it only follows, right?

• Reply 16 of 17
    Too bad the app is not available outside the US - thanks Yahoo....
  • Reply 17 of 17
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    512ke wrote: »
    Watch out Google Android, glass, gmail, goggles, play, plus, and maps. iOS has Yahoo.

Yahoo?

Ya who?