Internet wont work in OS9: Indentical hardware address shuts down TCP/IP network!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
My setup:

Single G4 on a cable modem. That's it!

That said, everytime I startup OS9 I get:

"Another device with same hardware address AZ:76:67:AA:56 (something like that) has been found on the network. The TCP/IP network must be shutdown"

Hummm.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    It means when you login to the network your MAC address or IP address is the same as another device already on the network. You need to report this to your sysadmin.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    Not your IP address, Jack, your hardware address, a.k.a. ethernet address, a.k.a. mac address, is supposed to be UNIQUE (yes, you read that right, unique).

This means that it should be impossible that any other comp with that address even exists, let alone sits on your network.

Moreover, I think MajorMatt has no sysadmin, as he is just trying to do his bit of surfin'.

This, however, is in no way an answer to your question matt. I really don't know how this is possible.

Have you installed the modem correctly?

Maybe you should try unhooking it during startup?

???

(I would like to know if you find the solution...)
  • Reply 3 of 11
    Der Kopf ist stimmt, bin ich kein system admin.

This is the exact wording:

• Reply 4 of 11
    Assuming you don't have your computer on a local area network, it seems your internet service provider is allocating you an IP address that has already been allocated to someone else. I'm not sure whether you have a static or dynamic address, but either way I think you need to contact your ISP. Does the message always contain the same IP address (48.83.578.016)?

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 5 of 11
    I made that IP and hardware address up to protect the names of the innocent.

Remember, this only happens in OS9 -- not OSX.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    Not that it should make any difference, but when you get the message, are you running OS9 on its own or in classic mode? Are you attempting to connect through both 9 and X?

[ 09-13-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 7 of 11
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by MajorMatt:

<strong>I made that IP and hardware address up to protect the names of the innocent.

</strong><hr></blockquote>

huh ?
  • Reply 8 of 11
    OS9 by itself.
  • Reply 9 of 11
    are you accessing the 'net through a NAT?

sometimes you can run into problems if you're trying to tell your NAT to pretend it's your machine in order to have more than one connection behind it all appearing as the original machine you had with your ISP.

that way they see one machine with the same MAC address, and you can have two or three running behind there.

the IP address is funky though. not sure how you'd have the same IP address if you're doing this at home. try giving yourself another IP address by assinging one in the same range, see what happens then.

(to do this, write down the info that fills in when you're in DHCP mode in OSX so you know you have an IP that's good, then enter in that info by hand into OS9)
  • Reply 10 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>Not your IP address, Jack, your hardware address, a.k.a. ethernet address, a.k.a. mac address, is supposed to be UNIQUE (yes, you read that right, unique).

</strong><hr></blockquote>

I realize this A similarly phrased error will occur if you're using an IP address on the network that someone else is already using. In his case, with the hardware address, it isn't completely unheard of to have someone spoofing MAC addresses on a network. I used to be connected to MIT's campus network, some of those kids do some nasty stuff.

Regardless, be it likely or unlikely, somebody has a MAC address identical to his on the network. Chances are this isn't an entirely private network, so there should at least be someone to report the problem to. ISP or campus IT bot, somebody...
  • Reply 11 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I see that, but apparently in this case, there is noone with the same hardware address. It's rather someone who has the IP address that our friend tries to use.

This should be reported to the ISP.