Apple's iCloud services again hit by global outage

Posted:
in iCloud edited February 2014
The iCloud suite of services experienced an outage Tuesday morning, marking yet another period of downtime for Apple's cloud-based operations.

iCloud

Update: Later on Tuesday, Apple's iCloud System Status page was updated to reflect downtime for account and sign-in, Apple ID creation, the iTunes Store, and Game Center. Some of the outages spanned more than 5 hours.

The outage appeared to affect a number of iCloud-based services, including Mail, Find My iPhone, and Find My Friends. Users attempting to log in to iCloud.com were also met with a "Connection Error" message that explained that "iCloud encountered an error while trying to connect to the server."

The issues appeared to be worldwide as of Tuesday morning, as readers from around the globe reached out to AppleInsider to detail their own issues.

Despite the multitude of issues, Apple's iCloud System Status website claimed that all iCloud services were online and operational. No downtime was noted by the company.

Issues with iCloud uptime are not new, but the company has seen a number of service outages in recent weeks. Just last Friday, its iCloud-based email service saw a 27-hour outage before operation returned to normal.

A week prior, Apple's iMessage and FaceTime services saw two outages in a span of just a few days. Apple's iCloud System Status page revealed that the problem affected "some users."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 71
    jollypauljollypaul Posts: 328member
    Ugh. More bad news. We are experiencing an information vacuum filled by bad news and press speculation. No end in sight.

Maybe Apple's extended silence will turn out to be a stroke of genius.
  • Reply 2 of 71
    hmm... i wonder what's been going on... and going wrong. how do you explain these problems??
  • Reply 3 of 71
    kozchriskozchris Posts: 209member
    Am I the only one who has not seen any issues with iCloud? I have never had any issues when any of these reports say I should be. I am on the computer for the better part of every day so you would think I would see some issue.
  • Reply 4 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Here's where Apple could spend some of its billions...on more cloud infrastructure.

• Reply 5 of 71
    adrayvenadrayven Posts: 460member
    Appleinsider uses a service to track apple services.. most times, I think it's wrong, cuz I have never experienced the outages they claim..
  • Reply 6 of 71
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's where Apple could spend some of its billions...on more cloud infrastructure.

Aren't they doing that already?

• Reply 7 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Am I the only one who has not seen any issues with iCloud? I have never had any issues when any of these reports say I should be. I am on the computer for the better part of every day so you would think I would see some issue.

iTunes Match was wonky for a little bit this morning, but fine now. Everything else seems to be working fine too.

• Reply 8 of 71

Their internet connection probably had a hiccup...  but hey, let's blame it on Apple.

• Reply 9 of 71
    gustavgustav Posts: 827member
    http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/ is the URL to check. Note, when there is an outage, it doesn't necessarily affect all users. I had a sign in issue with a third party app this morning.
  • Reply 10 of 71
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

They need to get it together.  Too many disruptions the last couple of weeks.  They are subpar in their cloud services.  

• Reply 11 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Same here. Multiple macs, iPads, and an iPhone, and no issues at all. And while outages don't necessarily affect all users, headlines about "global outages" certainly carry that kind of implication (even if there's a reading of "a few users scattered around the globe").

• Reply 12 of 71
    mvigodmvigod Posts: 172member
    If Steve Jobs was alive people would be getting fired for all these outages. Tim Cook will be promoting them with large cash bonuses to keep them on
  • Reply 13 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvigod View Post

If Steve Jobs was alive people would be getting fired for all these outages. Tim Cook will be promoting them with large cash bonuses to keep them on

Like the promotion he gave Scott Forstall, right?

• Reply 14 of 71
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Aren't they doing that already?
    Maybe they need to do more? Just seems like a lot of outages lately.
  • Reply 15 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post

They need to get it together.  Too many disruptions the last couple of weeks.  They are subpar in their cloud services.  

Both Google and Amazon had disruptions this last few weeks. Really huge ones.

• Reply 16 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Maybe they need to do more? Just seems like a lot of outages lately.

Maybe they need some more? Aren't you following the news? They are opening data centers everywhere! Should they rush it or carefully plan things out?

• Reply 17 of 71
    App store for iPhone also was unable to connect for a few hours (working now).
  • Reply 18 of 71
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    Both Google and Amazon had disruptions this last few weeks. Really huge ones.
    Yeah... What we really need is Personal Clouds. Maybe we could get them in a box that goes under our desks...
  • Reply 19 of 71
    This morning receiving a lot of spam from my @mac.com account from Russia. I wonder if they are getting hit with a denial of service. Anyone else seeing this?
  • Reply 20 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by logic368 View Post

hmm... i wonder what's been going on... and going wrong. how do you explain these problems??

Grow up. This is how technology works. I worked 34 years for at&t in the central office, maintaining telecom equipment. Everything had redundant hardware as well as redundant software backups, multiple network paths, etc. Even the power for this equipment had A and B paths with physically different wiring routes to prevent accidental disruption of power. The whole thing is designed to survive component failure, accidents, and stupidity. But guess what? We STILL had outages from time to time. Anything designed and maintained by human beings WILL fail.

We hear about this stuff when it's Apple but it happens all the time, every day. We just don't hear about it. We experience schadenfreude when it happens to Google, Amazon, Microsoft, Yahoo, Toyota, etc. But when it's Apple we wring our hands and ask how this could happen.

Shit happens. It really is that simple.