Apple's iCloud services again hit by global outage

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    I love the iCloud service and my wife just convinced me to switch to apple and now already having issues. Is this to be expected from apple? This is not a good first impression.
  • Reply 22 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by space1nvaders View Post

This morning receiving a lot of spam from my @mac.com account from Russia. I wonder if they are getting hit with a denial of service. Anyone else seeing this?

No.

• Reply 23 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by comtech86 View Post

I love the iCloud service and my wife just convinced me to switch to apple and now already having issues. Is this to be expected from apple? This is not a good first impression.

Name a cloud service that has not experienced disruption and I might see your point.

• Reply 24 of 71
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Both Google and Amazon had disruptions this last few weeks. Really huge ones.

Don't let the truth blind you to Scamsung / Google orchestrated media blitz FUD ... ;)
  • Reply 25 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by kozchris View Post

Am I the only one who has not seen any issues with iCloud? I have never had any issues when any of these reports say I should be. I am on the computer for the better part of every day so you would think I would see some issue.

No, you are not the only one. What you see are the effects of group psychology. All it takes is a few people experiencing the same issue and we have the current "-gate du jour." Ever notice the skeptical responses from people when Apple acknowledges that an issue has affected "a small number of users?" Nobody in the group believes it and immediately claim Apple is covering it up. Then we have the crowd that does a Google search and reports 1,367,546 "hits" on the issue, therefore "proving" it is a widespread, pandemic issue.

• Reply 26 of 71
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    kozchris wrote: »
    Am I the only one who has not seen any issues with iCloud? I have never had any issues when any of these reports say I should be. I am on the computer for the better part of every day so you would think I would see some issue.

I have never noted an issue myself either.
  • Reply 27 of 71

Too bad - I could really use Find My iPhone right now...

• Reply 28 of 71
    comtech86 wrote: »

Are you, personally, experiencing an outage with your iCloud services? If so, which iCloud services and how long have you experienced the issue?
  • Reply 29 of 71
    lkrupp wrote: »
    Name a cloud service that has not experienced disruption and I might see your point.

As a matter of fact, Google had an outage today as well as last Wednesday. Why do we not see reports about Google outages especially considering that Google provides commercial, enterprise services?
  • Reply 30 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

As a matter of fact, Google had an outage today as well as last Wednesday. Why do we not see reports about Google outages especially considering that Google provides commercial, enterprise services?

Yes they did. There was a 26 minute span where some number of Google users couldn't access their calendar.

So Apple's not the only one to experience outages. They just have more outages than some others for now, and for longer periods. They've got new data centers coming on line so no doubt it will improve, and perhaps quickly. It's not as tho it's bad now based on comments from users in this thread.

• Reply 31 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    1) This is unacceptable. It's also why I didn't want this to be a free service. There is so much less accountability with this being free.

2) I was trying to pull up an email at my grocery store yesterday to get $10 off but the mail on the server wouldn't load. My first thought is that iCloud mail is down. That wasn't the case, but that was my first thought. Not good, Apple, not good.

logic368 wrote: »
    hmm... i wonder what's been going on... and going wrong. how do you explain these problems??

The possibilities range from incompetence to corporate sabotage.

For in competence, poor planning and implementation come to mind. You only need one part of that to be faulty for the whole thing to not work properly.

Corporate sabotage is less likely but it does happen. Does Apple's free iCloud with iMessages being so damn popular and no one else offering many of their services, like Find My iPhone, hurt other companies? Would iCloud, their 4th attempt at a cloud-based service, benefit them if it was seen as abject failure?

Then you have everything in between. Even the trolls can't deny Apple isn't high-profile. Perhaps they were hacked and this independent group is either sabotaging for vandalism sake or stealing data which made Apple shut down part of their system. This would fall under both an outside threat and a result of poor design.

rogifan wrote: »
    Here's where Apple could spend some of its billions...on more cloud infrastructure.

Throwing even more money at a problem won/'t necessarily make it better and it could make it worse.
  • Reply 32 of 71

Besides what Gatorguy wrote also consider how long Google's services have been available compared to iCloud. History is important. If for the rest Google's comparable services are out for the exact same time frame as iCloud's services iCloud looks worse because there is much less history of iCloud's success. I don't know what they are doing to cause so many outages but adding new centers shouldn't increase them.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    In other news, users experienced Global Outages of access to Google as their internet service providers experienced momentary service errors.

"Damn, Google broke the web again,..."

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't having issues -- but so far, the media managed to note the one company trying to improve working conditions at FoxConn while ignoring the thousands of electronics companies that happily use the exact same services.
  • Reply 34 of 71
    In other news, users experienced Global Outages of access to Google as their internet service providers experienced momentary service errors.

"Damn, Google broke the web again,..."

Maybe they are, maybe they aren't having issues -- but so far, the media managed to note the one company trying to improve working conditions at FoxConn while ignoring the thousands of electronics companies that happily use the exact same services.
  • Reply 35 of 71
    bleh1234bleh1234 Posts: 146member
    Need to invest in aluminum stocks. I think its the most widely used material by posters in this forum. 5. 4. 3. 2. ...
  • Reply 36 of 71
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Besides what Gatorguy wrote also consider how long Google's services have been available compared to iCloud. History is important. If for the rest Google's comparable services are out for the exact same time frame as iCloud's services iCloud looks worse because there is much less history of iCloud's success. I don't know what they are doing to cause so many outages but adding new centers shouldn't increase them.

Google is providing a commercial, enterprise solution. Apple is not.

Google's record of providing service is abhorrent and negligent.
  • Reply 37 of 71
    You know, my first reaction was "damn, Apple still needs more experience with Internet services", but then I think about it and I'm not sure if I've heard of problems this frequent with iTMS or the App store. I can't imagine it's much different than iCloud in terms of infrastructure. Wonder if there are different teams/divisions.
  • Reply 38 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

I'm sure it is to you. You don't like anything having to do with Google.

With only one daily instance in the past two months where more than a single service out of 13 had any interruptions at all it hardly looks "negligent", but certainly not perfect by any means.  Is anyone even calling Apple's much more numerous and extensive acknowledged outages over the same time period negligent and abhorrent? Cloud services are still a relatively new consumer service and there's lots of learning ahead.

• Reply 39 of 71
    os2babaos2baba Posts: 262member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bleh1234 View Post

Need to invest in aluminum stocks. I think its the most widely used material by posters in this forum. 5. 4. 3. 2. ...

LOL!

• Reply 40 of 71

1) No one mentioned their commercial solutions. If you want to say that Google's efforts with their commercial solutions are why their consumer solutions are so successful then you can't say that Google is wrong for offering commercial solutions that strengthen their free services.

2) I haven't seen anything over the years since Gmail came online that suggests Google's free services are unreliable but there have been plenty to suggest Apple's MobileMe and iCloud services are.

3) The bottom line is iCloud's growing pains are too frequent and this needs to be corrected before it's too late; meaning, they have to rebrand it yet again and start anew. Cloud services are too important to their ecosystem for them to continually fail. They need this backbone between their devices to work well if they want to hold onto their hegemony. This isn't doom and gloom as I don't think this has happened yet but they can't keep having multiple weekly outages if they want the consumer to trust them with their data. Believe me when I say people care more about being able to get their data than the idea that someone might sell it as proven in the landmark case Out of Sight v. Out of Mind.