Apple's iCloud services again hit by global outage

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Grow up. This is how technology works...

Shit happens. It really is that simple.

I hope Apple phrases it better during the earnings announcement.

• Reply 42 of 71
    When at long last will Apple's teflon politician of an executive Eddy Cue --the guy in charge of Apple's terrible internet services-- get fired? Scott Forstall got sacked for Apple Maps yet Cue has skated for years as Apple has delivered one disastrous dog of web service after another under his watch. iCloud is just his latest fiasco.

For the love of God, fire Eddy Cue already!
  • Reply 43 of 71
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Here's where Apple could spend some of its billions...on more cloud infrastructure.

I'll assume you left-off the "sarcasm" tag there. Right?

• Reply 44 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacBook Pro View Post

Google is providing a commercial, enterprise solution. Apple is not.

Google's record of providing service is abhorrent and negligent.

In an extensive and thorough comparison with other enterprise cloud providers Google came in smack in the middle. MS Azure ranked number one in the study from Nasuni this year with Amazon a close second. Google, HP and Rackspace trailed behind those two. There's lots of datails here for anyone interested:

https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www6.nasuni.com/rs/nasuni/images/2013_Nasuni_CSP_Report.pdf

• Reply 45 of 71
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    In an extensive and thorough comparison with other enterprise cloud providers Google came in smack in the middle. MS Azure ranked number one in the study from Nasuni this year with Amazon a close second. Google, HP and Rackspace trailed behind those two. There's lots of datails here for anyone interested:
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?url=http://www6.nasuni.com/rs/nasuni/images/2013_Nasuni_CSP_Report.pdf

1) I've used Amazon's EC2. It's a bit of a bitch to first setup but it works really well once you figure it out. It's a very inexpensive (probably free) way to setup and test features on an internet facing server or in a complex test domain.

2) If you don't post things that make Google look better than MS or Amazon how can we continue to call you GoogleGuy?
  • Reply 46 of 71

Why is everyone so quick to say anything negative about Apple? It's like people think they're doing stuff wrong.

Apple has never done anything wrong to anyone ever in it's history ever. Ever. And, if you're typing your response to this forum on a Mac, you have no right to criticize Apple. Besides, this isn't a forum about how to criticize Apple with logical complaints. It's a place to launch ad hoc and ad hominem arguments at people and corporations that have nothing to do with Apple—thereby explaining any negativity perceived to be coming from Apple.

If all else fails, all you have to do is stop looking at Apple from a consumer's perspective and start looking at it as a financial and corporate institution that deserves your love and worship. Also all of your money, time, and allegiance. When you discover you have no identity at all except for your vehement love of anything Apple, Appleinsider will be here to greet you with open arms.

• Reply 47 of 71
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

People are saying Apple is bringing new data centers online but are any of their new data centers disaster recovery or back up data centers? Where is the back up for Maiden NC? Where is the back up data center for Reno? Recovery data centers are supposed to be not too far and not too close. A good example would be like Northern California backed up in Southern California, not clear across the country on the east coast somewhere. Adding new data center assets is nice but a fully redundant system would have regional back up and disaster recovery sites as well.

• Reply 48 of 71
    Global outage!? Wow so I shouldn't have been able to have been using mail all day!
    Or Message, Calendar was fine too!

So ether I'm not on iCloud services or I've missed the momentarily "minuets" of downtime.

Another thing to mention here is that If I remember correctly Apple
    is using other's servers "MS, Cisco to name a few of the global
    servers they are using.
  • Reply 49 of 71
    yensid98yensid98 Posts: 311member

Funny, with all of these outages I haven't had a single issue.  Email, IM, Contacts, etc. have all been working without incident.

I had the same experience with MobileMe and all it's complaints.  I guess I live a "It Just Works" zone.  Or maybe it just does work and a few isolated outages becomes worldwide epidemic when reported on the internet. Oy!

• Reply 50 of 71
    This is totally unacceptable for a company sitting on over $100 billion dollars. Put a F'ing backup in. Put two backups in. Put in redundancy.
  • Reply 51 of 71
    airbubble wrote: »
    Global outage!? Wow so I shouldn't have been able to have been using mail all day!
    Or Message, Calendar was fine too!

So ether I'm not on iCloud services or I've missed the momentarily "minuets" of downtime.

Another thing to mention here is that If I remember correctly Apple
    is using other's servers "MS, Cisco to name a few of the global
    servers they are using.

My first thought was how you interpreted but it's an ambiguous term. Global can mean that issues simply aren't regional. As in, they are affecting people in all parts of the world, but not necessarily everyone.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    1) No one mentioned their commercial solutions. If you want to say that Google's efforts with their commercial solutions are why their consumer solutions are so successful then you can't say that Google is wrong for offering commercial solutions that strengthen their free services.

I did. The initial comparison was to Google Apps which is a commercial, enterprise service.

2) I haven't seen anything over the years since Gmail came online that suggests Google's free services are unreliable but there have been plenty to suggest Apple's MobileMe and iCloud services are.

Except all the information posted on Apple Insider.

3) The bottom line is iCloud's growing pains are too frequent and this needs to be corrected before it's too late; meaning, they have to rebrand it yet again and start anew. Cloud services are too important to their ecosystem for them to continually fail. They need this backbone between their devices to work well if they want to hold onto their hegemony. This isn't doom and gloom as I don't think this has happened yet but they can't keep having multiple weekly outages if they want the consumer to trust them with their data. Believe me when I say people care more about being able to get their data than the idea that someone might sell it as proven in the landmark case Out of Sight v. Out of Mind.

No. The vast majority of customers are unaware of any issues.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    captain j wrote: »
    This is totally unacceptable for a company sitting on over $100 billion dollars. Put a F'ing backup in. Put two backups in. Put in redundancy.

Of course they have redundancies in place.
  • Reply 54 of 71
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member

I am posting here just to express my frustration with Apple.  I have a business presentation in 90 minutes.  Cloud services are out for me.  My Me.com email is out.  

Google to the rescue.  I am able to share my presentation materials via my Gmail.

iCloud calendars quit working dependably for us.  Enter Google Calendars.

We used to post websites created in iWeb to Mobile Me.  Now we publish them to Dropbox, Shutterfly or Google.

Small business needs dependable services.  iCloud has not been that, at least so far.

• Reply 55 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Aren't they doing that already?

My understanding is they also use AWS (among other services) for server capacity, but the idea is that they could spend more themselves to ensure maximum uptime via better redundancies, etc.

• Reply 56 of 71

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) No one mentioned their commercial solutions. If you want to say that Google's efforts with their commercial solutions are why their consumer solutions are so successful then you can't say that Google is wrong for offering commercial solutions that strengthen their free services.

2) I haven't seen anything over the years since Gmail came online that suggests Google's free services are unreliable but there have been plenty to suggest Apple's MobileMe and iCloud services are.

3) The bottom line is iCloud's growing pains are too frequent and this needs to be corrected before it's too late; meaning, they have to rebrand it yet again and start anew. Cloud services are too important to their ecosystem for them to continually fail. They need this backbone between their devices to work well if they want to hold onto their hegemony. This isn't doom and gloom as I don't think this has happened yet but they can't keep having multiple weekly outages if they want the consumer to trust them with their data. Believe me when I say people care more about being able to get their data than the idea that someone might sell it as proven in the landmark case Out of Sight v. Out of Mind.

I completely agree. It's refreshing to see a moderator who is able to hold Apple's feet to the fire on this. Some time ago, I was lambasted for my continued use of Gmail and expressed reluctance to switch to iCloud/Mail. Access to my email is extremely important. I signed up for Gmail when it was truly invite only and it's been incredibly reliable. I hate Google and adore Apple, but the latter's cloud services need a higher level of attention.

I wonder if Eddy Cue has his hands too full with content deals to really focus on internet services/infrastructure. Perhaps software/content and cloud/services should have separate SVPs.

• Reply 57 of 71

Well, even twitter is down today.

at least Apple still maintains 99,99% of their revenue functional while their services are down.

Twitter, Google, Amazon, Rim, Microsoft... oh boy.

• Reply 58 of 71
    carthusia wrote: »
    I completely agree. It's refreshing to see a moderator who is able to hold Apple's feet to the fire on this. Some time ago, I was lambasted for my continued use of Gmail and expressed reluctance to switch to iCloud/Mail. Access to my email is extremely important. I signed up for Gmail when it was truly invite only and it's been incredibly reliable. I hate Google and adore Apple, but the latter's cloud services need a higher level of attention.

I wonder if Eddy Cue has his hands too full with content deals to really focus on internet services/infrastructure. Perhaps software/content and cloud/services should have separate SVPs.

1) I am not a mod. Never have been; never will be. My title (you can choose your own, ask TS) is Mogul Gaberator, not Global Moderator.

2) If you want the Push features of iCloud to your devices you can always turn on Forwarding on your Gmail account. I've never had an issue with this, and if there is an issue I can always fall back to Gmail.

3) I don't hate Google They treat us like Eloi but that's their business model. It is what it is. I do use them for a private domain email for about $5 a month since it's much easier than hosting and maintaining an email server myself and I know it will be reliable. That's worth the expense and don't care what they might be grabbing from that account... at least at this point. I don't hate Samsung either but the level of trust I have with Samsung is non-existant, I have trust in Google when it comes to reliability but not my personal data being minded and sold, and with Apple I trust them not to mine and sell my data, but losing trust in the reliability of their cloud services. It's really comes down to which I personally care more about.
  • Reply 59 of 71
    No issues here. Everything seems to be working normally for me.
  • Reply 60 of 71
    garypgaryp Posts: 150member
    iCloud is working fine here.