Fiscal 2013 predicted to become 'a year to forget' for Apple, higher hopes seen for 2014

Comments

• Reply 41 of 70
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Releasing Google's search publicly. Just freely allowing anyone else to use the algorithm.

But anyway, this is all fantasy in the first place. An Apple->Google purchase would be blocked by every government.

Except it would then be Apples search algorithm freely used by everyone since they owned Google. image

• Reply 42 of 70
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

You mean the same reasons like the Coyote thought it would be a good idea to buy the Acme company?

Acme had self-driving cars (that didn't explode on contact), a great search algorithm (that didn't redirect all searches to bulk purchasing of nitroglycerin), server infrastructure (that wasn't running Exploding@Home), and documentation that it had stolen its product ideas from Wile Co.?

Originally Posted by Gatorguy View Post

Except it would then be Apples search algorithm freely used by everyone since they owned Google. image

You don't think the creators thereof (not employed by Apple) would be a little miffed, at any rate?

• Reply 43 of 70
    froodfrood Posts: 771member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

I think everyone should stop pretending that investors as a whole make decisions about stocks on any sort of rational basis. If they did, stock manipulation wouldn't be so easy.

I think there's a mix of investors, but too many invest with passion.  Those are the ones that get burned.  They are stuck complaining about manipulation after the fact.  If there was any manipulation, it is not in analysts using FUD to drive the price down.  The biggest drops in Apple valuation have been when Apple reports actual numbers.  The manipulation would have been when analysts irrationally drove the price up to the $700 range without the numbers lining up- but you can't really blame the analysts entirely right because the rising stock price was 'proving them right.'  Nobody was complaining about that while they were 'making money' on Apple shares.  People loved the company, and they bought a lot of shares.... that drove the price up higher and 'confirmed' that Apple stock was a winner and so more people bought into it.  When it is that exuberance that is driving shares up more than actual sales numbers its time to get the hell out.   In the end, Apples actual sales are indeed stellar, but not $680 billion stellar (which is I think about where the $700 stock price would put them).

• Reply 44 of 70
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sensi View Post

Could Apple Insider stop quoting "Brian White of Topeka Capital Markets" recurring garbage? Every of his biased predictions about Apple turned wrong lately, it is maybe time to notice...

Very sad, since he is the biggest Apple bull around. But you knew that.

• Reply 45 of 70
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barrett Falter View Post

Android is actually getting cleaner.  Looking at the HTC One I can say I'm likely going to buy this handset if it comes to Verizon.  I think that this handset is what Apple should have done with the iPhone 5 and was too lazy or unable to do.  I'm tired of the dated iOS look and feel and all of the hardware limitations.  The habit of Apple doing a trickle effect in hardware releases has grown stale and change needs to be made.  Just as Apple's customer service seemingly having gotten worse too.  Everyone has their own conceptions of how Apple is.  Mine is that the golden days have passed and the future looks murky.  

I just got one, and it is a beautiful device.

• Reply 46 of 70
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    A year to forget because they ONLY continued to make incredible amounts of money.

Perpetual increase in share price is a foolish goal and that's all people seem to care about when they're in "the market." Bunch of self-fulfilling prophecy crap. It's all about impressions and rumors. All nonsense. What a great model for an economic system.
  • Reply 47 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    smalm wrote: »
    "White believes Apple should leverage its $137.1 billion cash balance to attract investors and built a "safety net" around the stock."

This is exactly what Apple should NOT do! Investors not being attracted by APPL is their own problem not Apple's...

This may go in the list of worst Apple suggestions right along with "Apple should shut its door and give the money back to the shareholders", "Apple should stop making HW and license their OS", "Apple should drop the Mac and focus on only making iPods", and "[Everyone will be sorry for buying an iPod] when Microsoft releases their [Zune]." Okay, that last one was from The Big Bang Theory.
  • Reply 48 of 70
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

How much time is left for the earnings report? Can someone tell me?

• Reply 49 of 70
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member

Time left before it starts is approx. 50 minutes: http://events.apple.com.edgesuite.net/13houbqwdvowuhb04/event/index.html
  • Reply 50 of 70
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

Shortly after the market closes (4:00 PM Eastern)

• Reply 51 of 70

Quote:

On the website it said 2pm?!

• Reply 52 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by igriv View Post

I just got one, and it is a beautiful device.

Congratulations!

I hope it'll make you trot off to the HTC forums........ phew....

• Reply 53 of 70

Quote:

Quote:

4.30 PM. (Three minutes away).

• Reply 54 of 70

Quote:

Quote:

On the website it said 2pm?!

Ok I was just guessing. Perhaps they meant Pacific as the market has been closed for a few minutes.

Follow Soli's link above.

• Reply 55 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

3?

• Reply 56 of 70

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

3?

I guess is is 5 PM. So, 33. image

• Reply 57 of 70

Report out AAPL beats street in revenue.

• Reply 58 of 70
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Apple will beat expectations, but the margins will be down, they've been moving lots of product at reduced prices on eBay & through some retailers.

The stock will go sideways, IMHO, am sitting this one out, betting on Starbucks with reduced coffee prices and not cutting their retail prices.

• Reply 59 of 70
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    We have a beat, as well as an increase in dividend and expanded stock buyback. Share prices should jump tomorrow
  • Reply 60 of 70

Quote:

Originally Posted by majjo View Post

We have a beat, as well as an increase in dividend and expanded stock buyback. Share prices should jump tomorrow

who told you that? otherwise you should be banned.