Apple beats on revenue but sees profits fall for first time in a decade

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Teamracer View Post

And most people thought that the analysts who predicted a fall in profits were idiots.

No, it was predictable. But those that were saying that it meant "doomed" are huge idiots. Apple made more than google and microsoft combined.

• Reply 22 of 79
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    Yeah... I was disappointed they didn't do any better on Mac units with stock available. The lack of recovering margins would seem to indicate they aren't controlling costs. I'll echo your "hopefully they have something big coming," because without it they are going to need to change a lot as a company.

Revenues per Mac were $1,378, the highest since 2008, per Horace Deidu. I'd say that's because of the new iMac. I don't expect profit margins to grow with their PCs as this segment will likely continue to slide in a post-PC world.
  • Reply 23 of 79
    tooltalktooltalk Posts: 766member

Quote:

Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

Only $9.5 billion in profit? DOOMED, I TELL YOU! DOOMED!!!

Samsung is really killing Apple..   According to Samsung's pre-earning guidance [1], Samsung's profit is up 50+% YOY or around $7+B for Q1 2013, narrowing the profit gap between the two companies.

Apple 2Q iPhone yoy shipment growth is record low. I'm guessing that Q3 iPhone shipment will be even worse since the 5S is expected to be out in Q4 of 2013. 

Quarters

Unit Shipped

QOQ (%)

YOY (%)

1Q2008

1Q2009

iPhone 3S release (June)

1Q2010

iPhone 4 release (June)

1Q2011

1Q2012

iPhone 4S release (Oct)

iPhone 5 release (Sept Q4 2012)

1Q2013

(source: Apple)

[1] Samsung's pre-earning guidance, April 05, 2013, http://www.samsung.com/us/aboutsamsung/news/newsIrRead.do?news_ctgry=irpublicdisclosure&news_seq=20528

• Reply 24 of 79
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hey, as long as you have specific ideas, I want to hear everything!

"It's stale." "Why?" "Shut up, it's stale, doomed." just doesn't cut it, though.

The last time I saw someone do a point-by-point, you basically called them an idiot and said "who cares about that stuff" image

Now, I'm not Apple, so I can't think up fabulous stuff in my sleep to do to iOS, but I have a few simple things I would like added functionally:

1) The ability to just glance at the lock screen and see weather information without unlocking the phone and swiping down from the top (Yahoo's wonderful new weather app is a good model).

2) Make the hit points for "X" circles from the pull-down menu larger. It's a hit or miss closing them now because they're so small

3) The ability to make other apps the default instead of the stock Apple apps. Apple allows me to download third-party email clients/browsers, so why can't I make Safari my default web browser without jailbreaking? 

Visually, the biggest UI change I'd like to see is something done with pages and pages of folders with a dozen or so apps in each folder. I'm not smart enough to figure out a way to make it better, I'll admit that. I just wish something was done to make things not look like a rats nest of icons.

And we're basically staring at the same OS "visually" that we first saw 6 years ago.

• Reply 25 of 79
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

No, it was predictable. But those that were saying that it meant "doomed" are huge idiots. Apple made more than google and microsoft combined.

There are a few other things to consider than just revenue when evaluating earnings reports. For example GOOG EPS was $33 where AAPL was only $10 and MSFT was $2 but MSFT has 8B shares and AAPL has less than 1B.

You can't just look at a single metric to make a comparison.

• Reply 26 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooltalk View Post

FUD

So?

what if Samsung makes 10x more? It does not change the fact that it is at the Android's OEMs expense and their products are lower quality.

It only takes a stronger LG and/or Sony for Samsung profit to go down.

• Reply 27 of 79
    tooltalk wrote: »
    Samsung is really killing Apple..   Samsung's Q1 2013 profit is $7+B - they are narrowing the profit gap.

What is the URL for this Samsung Electronics results for 1Q2013? How did you get these numbers 3 DAYS before Samsung released them?
  • Reply 28 of 79

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

What is the URL for this Samsung Electronics results for 1Q2013? How did you get these numbers 3 DAYS before Samsung released them?

It doesn't matter. Even if Samsung made 10x more, so what? How are they killing a company that makes 10 billion per quarter?

• Reply 29 of 79
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Mazda 3s View Post

The last time I saw someone do a point-by-point, you basically called them an idiot and said "who cares about that stuff" image

They probably were.

Your first two points, on the other hand, I'd love to see. Scrolling folders would be great, particularly for the iPhone/iPod touch crowd. Nested* folders would also be nice, but they would have to be done correctly (understandably and aesthetically pleasing).

Changing defaults I see left for the mobile version of OS XI, but that's because it will be a feature brought down from the desktop proper rather than an "addition" to the existing mobile OS. As iOS was borne of a stripped down OS X, the future of iOS will be borne of a stripped down OS XI.

*But we know how Apple feels about nesting, don't we? Absolutely useless categories in all of their stores… 

• Reply 30 of 79
    jetzjetz Posts: 1,293member

Quote:

2) Stock up 5% in after-hours trading. Apparently being less successful is the key to increasing your stock value¡

What would the stock price be if they weren't upping the buy back?

Still.  5% is better than nothing.

• Reply 31 of 79
    philipmphilipm Posts: 240member

Quote:

Is Doctor Who big in your part of the world? Time Travel does have its benefits. Unless you don’t like Daleks. But seriously, Samsung issues an estimate of numbers ahead of a quarterly report.

In any case, if Samsung is making less profit than Apple with a vastly bigger array of products (TVs, fridges, washing machines etc.) then I wouldn’t be using this to bash Apple.

• Reply 32 of 79
    philboogiephilboogie Posts: 7,675member
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    philboogie wrote: »
    Not sure what you mean by that. Do you think they lost track? Why so? I obviously don't think so, otherwise I wouldn't be asking.

Back on track to making some more exciting products. I know that Apple can't "wow" everyone with every single product release, but I think that the smartphone/tablet markets are getting to the point where "just being made by Apple" is not enough to guarantee a sale.

And I know Tallest Skill would probably shoot me point blank in the face with a shotgun for saying this, but I'm ready for an iOS UI "reboot" or at least a heavy facelift. Reports say that some touchup paint is coming with iOS 7, so I'm hopeful.

Ah, ok, I get your point. True, I also think they cannot possibly keep on creating products like the iPhone and iPad, but that could be due to my limited thinking from myself, where a group of people might 'dream up' new products because of the feedback they'd be getting from the group. Still, I do think the whole experience does indeed sell Apple products, especially after someone buys a product and then gets to understand that it works so seamlessly and in congruence with other hardware they make. The happy faces I see from people who have an iPhone and then experience an iPad (with all their Apps installed because they bought it for their iPhone as well) is simply, well, it simply is. < insert some positive English word here.

But that's more on hardware; you're touching on the iOS evolution is a different story, to which I disagree. I think it's the familiarity that keeps Apple customers faithful and returning ones. Change is good, but not for the sake of change. Apple indeed has the tendency to change, but I think it's usually for the better, not for the sake of change. People buying a new iPhone, iPod touch or iPad, upgrading the OS every year and still seeing the 'same old' 'interface/look/software/buttons/how it works' might just be the main selling point of Apples' touch devices.
  • Reply 33 of 79
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

1) Lower profits and lower profit margins after an unprecedented lull between events doesn't look good. One time isn't a pattern so no one should go crazy over this but I sure hope Apple has some major things planned and they are successful.

2) Stock up 5% in after-hours trading. Apparently being less successful is the key to increasing your stock value¡

I missed your post when I remarked on the same change. The spike is a result of hitting "the numbers", with the numbers being what the analysts predict, which in turn are based on Apple's own guidance from Jan. In the past, because Apple was being conservative (i.e. coy), analysts tended to be off the mark more. But now that Apple has vowed to be more "truthful" in their guidance, analysts are looking more prescient as well. 

• Reply 34 of 79
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by guytoronto View Post

Only $9.5 billion in profit? DOOMED, I TELL YOU! DOOMED!!!

Yeah, I know.  Google did $10 Billion in Net Profit for the entire year last year and Apple only does that in one quarter.  I'd say Apple is doomed.  They didn't even have any product announcements in the March quarter.  They must not have any more product announcements, so they must have fired their R&D staff.

Apple's Doomed, the Sky if Falling, and the Android platform has no malware. :-)  

• Reply 35 of 79
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jetz View Post

I think it has a lot to do with the increased in pay back to the share holders.

I wonder what the biggest influence on their reduction in Profit margins was/is.  I didn't hear the conference call, did they mention that?  Was it because of increased R&D spending?

• Reply 36 of 79
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

You can't resist being a "Debbie Downer" can you.

• Reply 37 of 79
    11% YoY growth in China though!!! :-)
  • Reply 38 of 79
    philipm wrote: »
    Is Doctor Who big in your part of the world? Time Travel does have its benefits. Unless you don’t like Daleks.

I wouldn't say it's big but it has a following, and one that has grown since the 2005 reboot. I'm personally a huge fan. In fact, I'm such a fan that despite not being a case user I have a TARDIS case for my iPhone 5, with an image of the inside for the Lock Screen, and ring/text tones of the TARDIS sound (which we found out from River Song is because the Doctor leaves the parking break on). I'd actually say I"m a bigger fan of Steven Moffat. Loved Coupling (not well known in the US), love Sherlock (well known), and love the episodes he writes for Who. I was very happy when he became the head writer for the series.
  • Reply 39 of 79
    The dividend and the buyback is what's driving the stock up, not the revenue/EPS numbers which came in just about what Wall Street was expecting.
  • Reply 40 of 79
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RRtexasranger View Post

The dividend and the buyback is what's driving the stock up, not the revenue/EPS numbers which came in just about what Wall Street was expecting.

I don't think the spike is due to the promise of buy back or dividends. Reaction to that doesn't happen immediately. Instead, the spike is due to Apple basically hitting the analyst numbers.