Can't get OS X to boot up

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
Ive just aquired a new large hard drive and want to transfer all my stuff on the old drive to the new one. I have an imac, so Ive done it by networking two imacs, and transferring that way. Everything copied fine. The problem is that it won't startup from the new hard drive. It goves a message saying \\etc\\master.psswrd not a directory then gives me a zchs prompt. Any ideas? When I transferred the files, I also copied all the invisible files over in their respective places, and I also named the drive exactly the same. The hard drive starts up fine if i install a fresh copy of OS X, but I want to take all my settings with me. Heeeeeeeelp!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    torifiletorifile Posts: 4,024member
    It's not that easy anymore. You need: <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com/moreinfo.fcgi?id=13260&db=mac"; target="_blank">Carbon Copy Cloner</a> to do it right. HTH.
  • Reply 2 of 5
    If you're trying to take a copy of OSX when it's actually running, which is what I think you may be trying to do, you can't. Unix opens, writes to and closes system files all the time. This is likely to happen even during the copy process, therefore you can never copy a consistent set of files, as the files are changing as you copy them.

[ 09-16-2002: Message edited by: RodUK ]</p>
  • Reply 3 of 5
    Thanks, but carbon copy cloner works only under 10.2, and i have 10.1. I also transferred all the files under OS 9, so that should have allowed all files to be copied.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by alex_1800:

<strong>Thanks, but carbon copy cloner works only under 10.2, and i have 10.1. I also transferred all the files under OS 9, so that should have allowed all files to be copied.</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://mactips.bombich.com/"; target="_blank">some tips</a>
  • Reply 5 of 5
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    rule no.1 for GB: never, ever come back and see tha answers.