Apple's iPad, iPhone sales skyrocket as Mac and iPod falter

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Helping Apple post a Street beat on Tuesday was unexpected growth for iPhone and booming iPad sales, contributing to the company's revenues which hit $43.6 billion for the second fiscal quarter of 2013.

iPad mini

For the March quarter, Apple reported 37.4 million iPhone, up from 35.1 million in 2012, translating to a 6.5 percent year-to-year growth rate. iPad sales jumped more than 65 percent from the same quarter last year, with 19.5 million sales driven by the introduction of the iPad mini.

?We sold significantly more iPad Minis in the March quarter than the December launch quarter," said Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer. "The market suggests iPad Mini purchasers are first-time iPad customers."

While Apple's iPhone and iPad sales remained strong, the Mac dropped to 2 percent to just under 4 million units, compared to over 4 million during the same period in 2012. iPod sales also dipped 27% year-over-year to 5.6 million.

It appears that the Mac slump from the first quarter of 2013, which drooped 23 percent year-to-year, has mostly stabilized as Apple's computer hardware division saw

As for the iPod, Apple CFO Peter Oppenheimer said the iPod touch accounted for half of all sales in the slowly declining sector. iPod sales reached 6.2 million units for the quarter.

Looking ahead, it appears Apple has much more in store for the coming months, as Cook tipped his hand in a rare forward looking hardware statement.

"This is the same culture and company that brought the world the iPhone and the iPad and we have a lot more surprises in the works."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 25
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Not surprising, or a big deal, that iPod sales are down. Mac sales declined less than the rest of the industry, and while some of that decline is probably due to the iPad, it's also due to continuing generally bad economic conditions, worldwide.

• Reply 2 of 25
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member

Sounds Like a healthy company to me.

• Reply 3 of 25
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

Not surprising, or a big deal, that iPod sales are down. Mac sales declined less than the rest of the industry, and while some of that decline is probably due to the iPad, it's also due to continuing generally bad economic conditions, worldwide.

Yeah, I find it odd that the author even mentions it here without some kind of qualification.  

What would be unexpected, is if iPod sales were not down.  

Every iPhone has an iPod inside. 

• Reply 4 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    anonymouse wrote: »

The numbers for the Mac are pretty impressive. Nothing new this year (that I can recall) but the unit sales were down only 1.6% YoY whilst revenue is up 7% YoY on revenue per unit up to $1,378, which is the highest since 2008. The per unit iPod price is also up which I assume is on the success of the iPod Touch.
  • Reply 5 of 25
    asciiascii Posts: 5,936member
    Did I hear that desktop Mac sales were up but portable were down? That's a reversal of a long term trend!
  • Reply 6 of 25

Considering how the rest of the PC industry did, I think Apple did fine with Mac sales.

• Reply 7 of 25
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Did I hear that desktop Mac sales were up but portable were down? That's a reversal of a long term trend!

New iMac... iPad as a portable device. There, the 2 explications.

• Reply 8 of 25
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    That's impressive considering the rumors of yoy decline in iPad minis due to component cuts. /s
  • Reply 9 of 25
    macbook promacbook pro Posts: 1,605member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    The numbers for the Mac are pretty impressive. Nothing new this year (that I can recall) but the unit sales were down only 1.6% YoY whilst revenue is up 7% YoY on revenue per unit up to $1,378, which is the highest since 2008. The per unit iPod price is also up which I assume is on the success of the iPod Touch.

Perhaps even more impressive, doesn't that follow prices drops as well?
  • Reply 10 of 25
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

iPod sales are down? Apple is doomed. If only they'd had some foresight to look beyond the mp3 player market for their core businesses. Ah well. They had a good run. 

• Reply 11 of 25
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Perhaps even more impressive, doesn't that follow prices drops as well?

Typically, but I think many here have predicted the rise of the iMac once the iPad was announced. I know I have surely been talking up that possibility and have recently purchased my first desktop in over a decade of used notebooks.
  • Reply 12 of 25
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    Can we repost all the posts of the naysayers who panned the iPad Mini for years here? W/O that, their earnings would have been very different.
  • Reply 13 of 25
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    While Apple's iPhone and iPad sales remained strong, the Mac dropped to 2 percent to just under 4 million units, compared to over 4 million during the same period in 2012. iPod sales also dipped 27% year-over-year to 5.6 million.
    BFD. The rest of the industry dropped > 17%. That's hugely impressive for supply constrained sales.
  • Reply 14 of 25
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Apple's iPad, iPhone sales skyrocket as Mac and iPod falter

Of course, when you think about it, this is exactly what Apple wants.

Isn't it?

• Reply 15 of 25
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    gazoobee wrote: »
    anonymouse wrote: »

Yeah, I find it odd that the author even mentions it here without some kind of qualification.  

What would be unexpected, is if iPod sales were not down.  

Every iPhone has an iPod inside. 

I would be concerned if we saw a sudden increase in iPod sales.
  • Reply 16 of 25
    wovelwovel Posts: 956member
    captain j wrote: »
    Can we repost all the posts of the naysayers who panned the iPad Mini for years here? W/O that, their earnings would have been very different.

Revenue would have been lower , but margins would have been higher :)
  • Reply 17 of 25
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

so bottom line, Apple sold 63.7 million computers (including the touch) total this quarter. versus about 54 million a year ago. that's 18% growth.

94% of those were "post PC" computers - iOS devices.

so will the "analysts" ask HP and Dell how Windows 8 is working out for them this last quarter too?

• Reply 18 of 25
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    New iMac... iPad as a portable device. There, the 2 explications.
    But but but I thought everyone hated the new iMac because all Apple did was make it thinner (that's not innovation!) at the expense of an optical drive (which everyone still needs).
    /s
  • Reply 19 of 25
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    alfiejr wrote: »
    so bottom line, Apple sold 63.7 million computers (including the touch) total this quarter. versus about 54 million a year ago. that's 18% growth.

94% of those were "post PC" computers - iOS devices.

so will the "analysts" ask HP and Dell how Windows 8 is working out for them this last quarter too?

HP and Dell are doing bad for handful of reasons.

Selling PCs with same Windows 8, Lenovo achieved increase of 34 percent in earnings over the same period last year. Their shipment grew 7.9%, opposite to 7.8% decline in PC market.

http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1665
  • Reply 20 of 25
    jungmark wrote: »
    That's impressive considering the rumors of yoy decline in iPad minis due to component cuts. /s
    Umm... I believe the iPad mini came out last fall, so no yoy comparison.