Cook: Apple has surprises in the works for fall, all of 2014

Comments

• Reply 21 of 78
    samosai wrote: »

I am an applied econometrician with an understanding of open-economy macroeconomics.

Sam S., Ph.D.

Wow. You don't say.
  • Reply 22 of 78
    I'm sick & tired of all the weak-minded, spineless SISSIES that, needlessly so, jump to that four-eyed failure's defense ....

As has been pointed out, it's been SIX MONTHS since an event, while the stock continues to tank ....

And we're supposed to get hot & bothered by an iPhone 5S ?
    Hey! It's got an extra button!11!1!

Already there're whispers by people a LOT more in the know of the TRUE state of things for this southern-fried fruit's ouster.
    Soon, those whispers'll turn into a crescendo.
    Enough f**kin', already ....

Look, we all loved Steve, right?
    Right.
    But, y'know, when he made that decision for little Timmy to be the replacement, maybe he wasn't completely in his right mind, you know what I'm saying?
    Nevertheless, everyone kept thier yaps shut out of deference to the man that bought Apple to where it was at that point.
    Well, enough respectful time has elapsed where we can fairly say that maybe his wasn't the best choice.
    It may've been the EASY choice, but not the BEST choice ....

So it's time for Timbo to take his katrillion dollars, have his hat shoved into his hands & be shown the door.
    Who, then, to be CEO?
    How the **** should I know?
    All I do know is who SHOULDN'T be in charge.
    And you can take that to the bank -- whatever's left of it ....
  • Reply 23 of 78
    h2ph2p Posts: 335member

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanne101 View Post

Do we really need something new every 6 mos or a year? What do you want your computer to do for you? We are all becoming shells due to technology and we keep asking for more.

And can everyone really afford to keep buying new tech every 6 mos or year? What a waste of money and resources.

This is advice for how people (could or should) live, not for a technology company. I completely agree with the every-6-months idea. Get a hold of "the conversation" about their company - their products and their future.

Get to it Apple. As a person that has been using Apple products since the late 80's - I didn't despair when their stock was below $20 and don't despair now.

• Reply 24 of 78
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    Fall Quarter is WWDC. Winter Quarter is Back to School. Fiscal is different than calendar quarters.
  • Reply 25 of 78
    irelandireland Posts: 17,799member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I wanted to hear, "Two part question, Mr. Cook. It's been 8 months since Apple has held an event. What I want to know is: WTF? And: seriously... WTF?"

I'd love to see Apple move to a 2-events-later-in-the-year every year strategy.
  • Reply 26 of 78
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

I like this approach. Cook just shook up the top level and Apple had a couple poor releases recently. I think it is very wise to get everyone working together and focused on perfect executions before releasing anything else. I don't want more delayed products after launch (iMac) or products launched in beta (Siri) or products launched before they are ready for the public (maps). 

Just take the needed time to level set the product roadmap and get the team working together. 

• Reply 27 of 78
    mechanicmechanic Posts: 805member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lmac View Post

I think the biggest surprise of all is that we were supposed to get a redesigned MacPro in April or May. Wonder if that's no longer going to happen until Fall?

Like was said above June starts the fall Q3 for Apple.When pressed on whether apple would release all the new stuff this fall and nothing this summer Cook told Katey Huberty, he would not give specific release dates out and that there were a lot of "new" and exciting things that were ahead.  So my guess would be Mac Pro at the developers conference in June and iPhone and iPad, iPod this This September.

• Reply 28 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I love how everyone bitched last year because of all the leaks and that there were no surprises and now this year people are bitching because there's no news. They don't want leaks but they want to know what Apple is up to. With some of the issues Apple had last year I have a feeling the mantra from Cook this year is we'll release products when they're ready and not a minute before. When Ive says Apple's goal isn't about making money this is what he's talking about. And Oppenheimer mentioned it on the call - Apple is focused on the long term, not short term profits. Wall Street might not like that answer but Apple' basically saying we don't care.
  • Reply 29 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I like this approach. Cook just shook up the top level and Apple had a couple poor releases recently. I think it is very wise to get everyone working together and focused on perfect executions before releasing anything else. I don't want more delayed products after launch (iMac) or products launched in beta (Siri) or products launched before they are ready for the public (maps). 

Just take the needed time to level set the product roadmap and get the team working together. 
    I agree. And clearly these guys aren't sitting on their hands doing nothing. Getting things right is more important than getting something out there just for the sake of it. But it's added pressure as now people are going to expect a lot more than just incremental updates.
  • Reply 30 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I agree. And clearly these guys aren't sitting on their hands doing nothing. Getting things right is more important than getting something out there just for the sake of it. But it's added pressure as now people are going to expect a lot more than just incremental updates.

I think Apple has been overwhelmed by the iPhone and iPad that they have seriously neglected their software. iWork, iLife, Pro Apps, Mail, etc. have all gone without updates in quite a while and the OS and iOS needs some polish (but not major updates). I acknowledge they are concentrating on the technology that is hot at the moment, which is understandable to an extent. 

If I was to have a say, and I acknowledge I don't, I would like to see Hardware Updates one year and Software Updates the next with the exception of new tech. This will put everything on a every other year cycle. Probably not aggressive enough for investors. The funny thing is that investors will bark at only tweaking the camera or CPU every other cycle without realizing there are only so many lightning strikes a product family can have. Seriously, how often do people expect Apple to reinvent the smart phone? From what I read, it sounds like every year. 

If Apple wants to appear as if each release is heaps above the last, they need to cut out the incremental releases. 

• Reply 31 of 78
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Just another reason to love the fall in addition to football season. : )
  • Reply 32 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

If Apple wants to appear as if each release is heaps above the last, they need to cut out the incremental releases. 

The computers only got two updates a year anyway. I'm not so sure that should stop. If newly clocked chips are out, update to them. That's what Apple has always done. *shrug* No new GPU needed, no major changes in RAM or HDD unless margins would make it appealing… 

• Reply 33 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

The computers only got two updates a year anyway. I'm not so sure that should stop. If newly clocked chips are out, update to them. That's what Apple has always done. *shrug* No new GPU needed, no major changes in RAM or HDD unless margins would make it appealing… 

I agree, but new CPUs would not warrant a product release increment (4 to 4s) and could just be incorporated into the product. My point really was that you don't need big fanfare to release minor updates. Just let them happen and hit the stage with real, meaningful updates that wow the audience. 

• Reply 34 of 78
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    Unless you're in denial, this situation isn't a surprise.
    What I'm more concerned about is how I've seen a declination in the quality of their stuff. It's still rediculously better than the competition, it's far from the near-perfection I've grown used to. Every MacOS update brings more pinwheels (16GB RAM MBP 2013), iPhones have a new 'Gate every release, iPhoto STILL sucks, etc. apple's QC has been quietly dying off as far as I'm concerned.
  • Reply 35 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I agree, but new CPUs would not warrant a product release increment (4 to 4s) and could just be incorporated into the product. My point really was that you don't need big fanfare to release minor updates. Just let them happen and hit the stage with real, meaningful updates that wow the audience. 

So you want an update that doesn't increment? Doesn't add to the previous model? W... T... F?

Seriously? You think the only change between the iPhone 4 and 4S was the CPU? Where the **** do you people come from? Does Samsung really pay that much to shill forums?¡
  • Reply 36 of 78
    Surprise me, Timmy. Update that hoary old Mac Pro before it becomes a museum piece.
  • Reply 37 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosAI View Post

I am an applied econometrician with an understanding of open-economy macroeconomics.

Sam S., Ph.D.

I fart econometricians...

• Reply 38 of 78
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,434moderator
    Fall Quarter is WWDC. Winter Quarter is Back to School. Fiscal is different than calendar quarters.

I've never heard June being described as part of fall.

Spring = March, April, May.
    Summer = June, July, August.
    Fall/Autumn = September, October, November.
    Winter = December, January, February.

I think it was quite apparent most of the product updates would be pushed back to September. Intel won't have the Ivy Bridge EP Xeon until the 3rd calendar quarter, which starts in July (Summer) but likely won't launch until IDF in September (which will be at the Moscone Center in San Francisco). The GT3 models of the lower-end processors have been pushed back too. The PowerVR 6 Rogue quad-core graphics are the same.

The only hardware that should be available to launch in June is the 15" Macbook Pro Haswell and the iMac chips. If they keep the low-end Mini, that can't get updated until the 35W chips come out. The iMacs aren't near the end of their product cycle either - it wouldn't be good that people just got their brand new one in March and then have a new one in June.

While the 15" MBP can be updated, the 13" can't be so unless they updated them separately, they all get pushed back. I think they should update the 15" in June and cut the prices down. Even if the 13" stays as is, worst case, it drives people to the higher value machines until September.

We'll probably be seeing iOS 7 and possibly OS X 10.9 at WWDC so that's something I suppose. Application software updates really would have been a nice way to fill the gaps like new Aperture etc. You sort of wonder what the team at HQ is actually doing for such a long time. Obviously the retail staff keep the rollout going but what does Ive do between launches?
  • Reply 39 of 78
    Apple should spend even more money buying back their stock rather than giving it to people who own their stock. The less stock on the market, the less Apple has to respond to these short-term jump-on-someone-else's hard work idiots that make up most of the financial industry. How completely short-sited selfish most analysts and fund managers are.
  • Reply 40 of 78
    I think it will take them until the fall to get the fingerprint reader under the home button right. And it will be worth the wait, rather than pushing it off another whole year in their product cycle. Then what are the competitors going to do when Apple can authenticate without a password and securely to every app and service.