Apple's iPad, iPhone sales skyrocket as Mac and iPod falter

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    ascii wrote: »
    Did I hear that desktop Mac sales were up but portable were down? That's a reversal of a long term trend!

I'd say it's more to do with the laptops reaching the end of their product cycle vs the iMacs being at the start. Usually they aren't this far apart.

I also suspect the current Macbook Pro setup will be putting some people off. The Retina MBP is a nice laptop but is at a high price point. They could really do with getting rid of the old models and bringing the rMBP prices down.
  • Reply 22 of 25
    anonymouseanonymouse Posts: 6,860member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ascii View Post

Did I hear that desktop Mac sales were up but portable were down? That's a reversal of a long term trend!

That's not surprising either. Most people don't really need a portable Mac, they need an iPad or an iPhone. For their Mac, since they don't need a portable, they might as well get something with more screen real estate. 

• Reply 23 of 25
    likkielikkie Posts: 43member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Looking ahead, it appears Apple has much more in store for the coming months, as Cook tipped his hand in a rare forward looking hardware statement.

"This is the same culture and company that brought the world the iPhone and the iPad and we have a lot more surprises in the works."

I would hardly call this "tipping his hand". It would be far more surprising if they didn't "have a lot more surprises in the works."

• Reply 24 of 25
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    nikon133 wrote: »
    HP and Dell are doing bad for handful of reasons.

Selling PCs with same Windows 8, Lenovo achieved increase of 34 percent in earnings over the same period last year. Their shipment grew 7.9%, opposite to 7.8% decline in PC market.

http://news.lenovo.com/article_display.cfm?article_id=1665

Any reason why Lenovo are eating the other PC clone maker's lunch? Is it simply a price war, if not what? It's not a subject I follow but I'd be interested to know. I brings images to mind of rats eating each other after the food has run out.
  • Reply 25 of 25

Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Any reason why Lenovo are eating the other PC clone maker's lunch? Is it simply a price war, if not what? It's not a subject I follow but I'd be interested to know. I brings images to mind of rats eating each other after the food has run out.

well if the build quality of the Lenovos in my store are any indication, it's because they've completely abandoned the wonderful thinkpad-style devices in favor of their own lack-luster designs.