Cook: Apple has surprises in the works for fall, all of 2014

Comments

• Reply 41 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Richard Getz View Post

My point really was that you don't need big fanfare to release minor updates. Just let them happen and hit the stage with real, meaningful updates that wow the audience. 

Not sure I understand that first part, but I agree with this. There's no reason for an event for a spec bump, but if there's a new case design, a new software feature tied to that hardware, or something special about the new processor family that they want to highlight, by all means have an event.

I wonder just how much Haswell will actually improve battery life… They claimed 24 hours on machines with ULP CPUs, but that was… hoo boy… what, 2011 when they said that?

• Reply 42 of 78
    lvidallvidal Posts: 158member
    The only surprise I want to hear is: "Hey, you know what? We bought Yahoo!".
  • Reply 43 of 78
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    New new or redesigned new?
  • Reply 44 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by zanne101 View Post

Do we really need something new every 6 mos or a year? What do you want your computer to do for you - make your breakfast, pick up your clothes from the cleaners? Nobody has to read a map anymore, talk in person to someone, call a friend etc. We are all becoming shells due to technology and we keep asking for more. And no, I'm not a luddite, just someone who can actually do things without my computer, phone, tablet and all the other gadgets.

And can everyone really afford to keep buying new tech every 6 mos or year? What a waste of money and resources.

Simply put, all Apple customers do not adhere to your chronology. 

• Reply 45 of 78
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Marvin wrote: »
    We'll probably be seeing iOS 7 and possibly OS X 10.9 at WWDC so that's something I suppose. Application software updates really would have been a nice way to fill the gaps like new Aperture etc. You sort of wonder what the team at HQ is actually doing for such a long time. Obviously the retail staff keep the rollout going but what does Ive do between launches?
    Working on news stuff that we're not thinking about? I keep reminding myself that Apple is down an exec as they didn't replace Forstall, just divided up his work. Yet I doubt the guys who got his work were bored or looking for things to do...
  • Reply 46 of 78

Quote:

Originally Posted by samosAI View Post

I am on Tim Cook's side. He is a stabilizing influence for Apple, reorganizing the management group into an effective, coordinating whole. He and the team continue producing/refining excellent products. Cook and the Management Team should ignore Wall Street. 

I quite agree.  And frankly, I don't understand the impatience of some enthusiasts on this site.  It's a hell of a lot of work to create these amazing new products that are so close to flawless.  It's going to take Apple the time it takes to get it right.  So if they released something before it was ready, it'd be buggy, it would damage their reputation, and perhaps worst of all, it would make Apple more like Microsoft and Google!  I definitely want Apple to take their time and do it right.  And if they also have some strategic reason to wait for back-to-school or xmas or whatever, that's fine too. I'm a customer and a stockholder and Tim Cook has my vote of confidence!

• Reply 47 of 78
    justbobfjustbobf Posts: 261member
    scotty321 wrote: »
    I think Apple has forgotten that they actually make software.
    I suspect Apple is waiting for their iOS apps to catch up their desktop counterparts. After that, they can start adding and improving both at the same time.
    Pages, Numbers, and iPhoto haven't seen any major upgrades in almost 5 years.

OS X's Mail, Contacts, Calendars haven't had any major new features or bug fixes in about the same amount of time.

Not to mention that Apple silently discontinued 2 of our all-time favorite apps, iDVD and iWeb.

Apple is really faltering on the software front!
  • Reply 48 of 78
    It should be remembered that the iPod was introduced in 2001 and the iPhone in 2007. That's six years. The iPad is largely an evolution of the iPod touch. 2013 would be just right for the next big thing.
  • Reply 49 of 78
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    pulcinella wrote: »
    It should be remembered that the iPod was introduced in 2001 and the iPhone in 2007. That's six years. The iPad is largely an evolution of the iPod touch. 2013 would be just right for the next big thing.

And the time between the Mac and iPod was 27 years.
  • Reply 50 of 78
    "And the time between the Mac and iPod was 27 years."

Absolutely!
    Expectations are too high
  • Reply 51 of 78
  • Reply 52 of 78
    Tim, I hope you're s**tting us. You're already late.
  • Reply 53 of 78
    Why is nobody whining about the MacPro not even being mentioned?
    Has it been put off till "later" this year?
  • Reply 54 of 78
    So they don't expect anything in 2013? They think that 2014 will be great, huh? They wish. If they won't hit the jackpot this year, apple will be too late to recover all minus growth. Good luck with iWatch which nobody wants to buy.
  • Reply 55 of 78
    So they don't expect anything in 2013? They think that 2014 will be great, huh? They wish. If they won't hit the jackpot this year, apple will be too late to recover all minus growth. Good luck with iWatch which nobody wants to buy.
  • Reply 56 of 78
  • Reply 57 of 78
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Quote:

Originally Posted by scotty321 View Post

I think Apple has forgotten that they actually make software.

Pages, Numbers, and iPhoto haven't seen any major upgrades in almost 5 years.

OS X's Mail, Contacts, Calendars haven't had any major new features or bug fixes in about the same amount of time.

Not to mention that Apple silently discontinued 2 of our all-time favorite apps, iDVD and iWeb.

Apple is really faltering on the software front!

I couldn't agree more! It seems, the only software Apple is concerned about is iOS, and maybe OS X. They really need to improve their other software. The only reason I can think of why they wait is that they plan a massive iCloud integration with these titles. The current iCloud integration of iWork is a complete mess.

• Reply 58 of 78
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by VanFruniken View Post

Why is nobody whining about the MacPro not even being mentioned?

Because it was already mentioned last year.

Has it been put off till "later" this year?

No, it has not been "put off". Stop it.

• Reply 59 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Not sure I understand that first part, but I agree with this. There's no reason for an event for a spec bump, but if there's a new case design, a new software feature tied to that hardware, or something special about the new processor family that they want to highlight, by all means have an event.
    When it comes to Mac hardware events are an important element in reassuring users that Apple is still serious about the platform. Plus when Apple does do a spec bump, lately it seems to go unnoticed by the user community.

Apple really needs something more halfway between the types of events they are famous for and for example the last laptop bump.
    I wonder just how much Haswell will actually improve battery life… They claimed 24 hours on machines with ULP CPUs, but that was… hoo boy… what, 2011 when they said that?
    Intel is way behind on power management in their CPUs so the potential is there. The problem with some of the techniques is that they work great for light users but a more demanding user might not get the same power savings. Turning off idle sections of a chip can significantly reduce power if an app doesn't use those sections of a chip.

That being said Intel has a lot of BS when it comes to marketing power efficiency. I do hope that they are serious this time around. In any event 24 hours of operation is not a valid goal in my mind. The real goal should be a laptop that can hold up to a 10-12 hour work day, where said laptop is under heavy load.

In a nut shell a portable computer needs to be functional as a portable. That should seem obvious but many a laptop can't really spend much time off the AC nipple. If Apple could get over its need to thin the laptops we could get really good run times from Haswell. The problem is if Haswell allows for even thinner laptops Apple may be tempted to shave the machines down even more.
  • Reply 60 of 78
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    This is so true, iWork is a mess if you consider its so called integration with iCloud. I'm also of the belief that part of the wait may be to realize better iCloud integration and perhaps more importantly feature parity. They really need to iron out the incompatibilities of iWork on the two OS's.

One thing to consider is that iOS hardware has really matured in the last year or so. That may make it far easier for them to whip iWork into shape. Lets face it iWork on iPad 1 or 2 was mostly wishful thinking.
    macapfel wrote: »
    I couldn't agree more! It seems, the only software Apple is concerned about is iOS, and maybe OS X. They really need to improve their other software. The only reason I can think of why they wait is that they plan a massive iCloud integration with these titles. The current iCloud integration of iWork is a complete mess.