Apple to kick off Worldwide Developers Conference on June 10 in San Francisco

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Apple on Wednesday announced it will hold its annual Worldwide Developers Conference, where it has traditionally shown off the next version of its iOS mobile operating system, June 10 through 14 in San Francisco, Calif.

WWDC

As in previous years, the five-day conference will be held at San Francisco's Moscone West. The event will feature more than 100 technical sessions presented by more than 1,000 Apple engineers.

Tickets for this year's conference will go on sale Thursday, April 25, at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern. In years past, the event has sold out in a matter of minutes.

"We look forward to gathering at WWDC 2013 with the incredible community of iOS and OS X developers," said Philip Schiller, Apple?s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. "Our developers have had the most prolific and profitable year ever, and we?re excited to show them the latest advances in software technologies and developer tools to help them create innovative new apps. We can?t wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC."

In addition to technical sessions, the event will also include hands-on labs aimed at helping developers to integrate new technologies. The conference will also host the annual Apple Design Awards, which showcase some of the most outstanding applications available on the iOS and Mac App Stores.

The full list of activities at the 2013 conference, according to Apple, will include:
  • More than 100 technical sessions presented by Apple engineers on a wide range of topics for developing, deploying and integrating the latest iOS and OS X technologies
  • More than 1,000 Apple engineers supporting over 100 hands-on labs and events to provide developers with code-level assistance, insight into optimal development techniques and guidance on how they can make the most of iOS and OS X technologies in their apps
  • The latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design
  • The opportunity to connect with thousands of fellow iOS and OS X developers from around the world?last year more than 60 countries were represented
  • Engaging and inspirational lunchtime sessions with leading minds and influencers from the worlds of technology, science and entertainment
  • Apple Design Awards which recognize iPhone, iPad and Mac apps that demonstrate technical excellence, innovation and outstanding design

Comments

• Reply 1 of 80
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Thought the announcement might come today. Nice. :)
  • Reply 2 of 80
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member
    Why the page's heading font size is sooo big.
  • Reply 3 of 80
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member
    Great! At least something new - although, it is seems it will 'only' be the expected new.
  • Reply 4 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    oooo .... news of Mac Pro. Start the rumor mills now! Surely there are some manufacturers breaking NDAs and photocopying plans, photographing parts or checking increases in orders for 52 core CPUs and matter transfer coils? Why is it the only espionage and leaking seems to be about iPhones and iPads these days ... sigh.
  • Reply 5 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

"We can?t wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into their hands at WWDC."

Does this mean we get a glimpse of 10.9?

• Reply 6 of 80
    Just waiting for all the logo design analysis to see if it has any clues for ios 7 OS X 10.9. :lol:
  • Reply 7 of 80

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Just waiting for all the logo design analysis to see if it has any clues for ios 7 OS X 10.9. image

I certainly hope so. Obviously, everything is getting colourful and translucent.

But seriously: I much more appreciate WWDC logo design analysis than talking too much about legal issues, Samsung, Windows, etc. I'm not against it, but primarily I enjoy to discuss news from Apple here - Apple products.

• Reply 8 of 80
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    macapfel wrote: »
    Does this mean we get a glimpse of 10.9?

That's got to be a yes. I assume we will see the start of the Jonification of OSX.
  • Reply 9 of 80
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Just waiting for all the logo design analysis to see if it has any clues for ios 7 OS X 10.9. image

"Obviously OS X is going to change every application's icon into a rounded square."

Seriously, if they do that, it's going to infuriate me. It works for fingertip-sized systems, but you lose so much character that way.

"The thin font means the MacBook Air will be center stage."

Despite it being a developer conference and having nothing to do with the MacBook Air.

Ah, wait a minute now…

A new Core Framework, perhaps? I know I've missed some, but those don't have icons. Or do they?

• Reply 10 of 80
    thepixeldocthepixeldoc Posts: 2,257member
    This could be one of the hallmark WWDC's ever for Apple!

Be prepared to be absolutely blown away! :smokey:
  • Reply 11 of 80
    dnd0psdnd0ps Posts: 253member

Woooh. where do they sell tickets

• Reply 12 of 80
    alphafoxalphafox Posts: 132member
    Who cares. I'm tired of iOS and its in unchanging since 2008. Switching to the S4 when my contract is up next month.
  • Reply 13 of 80
    I thought announcing WWDC today might help the stock a but but no it's down 3% pre-market. Clearly this is Wall Street saying Tim Cook sucks. Jim Cramer on CNBC called yesterday's conference call a "train wreck". And all they did the first 10 minutes of Squak on the Street was bash Apple management. Sigh. :\
  • Reply 14 of 80

Guys,

I compared the same AI article on WWDC 2012 announcement and this one.

This year has one more bullet point of activity:

The latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design

Maybe we will see something different this year.

• Reply 15 of 80
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

The latest innovations, features and capabilities of iOS and OS X, and how to enhance an app's functionality, performance, quality and design

iCloud - IOS - OSX - confluence

• Reply 16 of 80
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

Quote:

Oh my God... they are close to Window Metro tile interface colors. :s

• Reply 17 of 80

Have they pre-announced ticket sales in the past? I seem to remember just waking up one day last year and finding out they were already sold out.

• Reply 18 of 80
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

Have they pre-announced ticket sales in the past? I seem to remember just waking up one day last year and finding out they were already sold out.

Yup.

Anyone else going? Or going to try and go?

• Reply 19 of 80
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by LJC94512 View Post

Guys,

I compared the same AI article on WWDC 2012 announcement and this one.

This year has one more bullet point of activity:

Quality and design ... We will see Jony Ive's hand, particularly pertaining to iOS. The word on the street is that it will blow people away.

• Reply 20 of 80

Quote:

If you turn your head clockwise to the left and look at overlapping D and C in WWDC... it's a human with zigzag legs. image