Apple promises to show off new versions of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013

Posted:
in macOS edited January 2014
The latest versions of both OS X and iOS will be available to developers at this year's Worldwide Developers Conference, suggesting the event might showcase the next major version of Apple's Mac operating system in addition to iOS 7.

Macs

For years, WWDC has been where Apple has showcased the next major version of its iOS platform for iPhone and iPad. It's presumed that the 2013 conference will be no different, and will feature the unveiling of iOS 7.

But comments made by Apple marketing chief Phil Schiller in a press release issued by the company on Wednesday suggest that Apple could also unveil to developers OS X 10.9, the next version of the Mac operating system.

"We can?t wait to get new versions of iOS and OS X into (developers') hands at WWDC," Schiller was quoted as saying.

Last year, Apple unveiled the current major release of OS X, 10.8 Mountain Lion, in an uncharacteristically subdued way. Rather than holding an event, the company quietly showed the software to select members of the press, and announced the software was coming with a press release last February.

Schiller's comments suggest that OS X 10.9 may instead take the main stage at Apple's annual WWDC keynote, an event that kicks off the conference. The company announced on Wednesday that WWDC 2013 will take place from June 10 through 14 in San Francisco, and tickets will go on sale this Thursday at 10 a.m. Pacific, 1 p.m. Eastern.

Traffic from systems running Apple's unannounced OS X 10.9 has been growing in the data logs of AppleInsider and other websites, suggesting the software is being actively tested by the company. But to date, there has been no public acknowledgement of an OS X 10.9 by Apple.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

That's an odd twist.

At least we actually have something to rumor about for the next two months. I was getting sick of the non-Apple news.

• Reply 2 of 108
    OMG so freaking excited ! But 2 more months :(
  • Reply 3 of 108
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    Jonification!

Oh and time to start the cat guessing again.
  • Reply 4 of 108
    Can't wait to see what is coming new in iOS 7
  • Reply 5 of 108
    This point should have been featured in Tim Cook's remarks yesterday.

The fact that Apple had its second-best March quarter in history was overshadowed by his revealing that we have about 6 months to wait for new product news.

If you watched after-hours trading, the financial results drove the price up around $25,and then the "no news until fall" comment wiped out the gain and started the bloodbath. The cynic in me would say that when you are announcing the biggest stock buyback in history, it doesn't hurt to get the shares at a very low price.
  • Reply 6 of 108
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

That's an odd twist.

At least we actually have something to rumor about for the next two months. I was getting sick of the non-Apple news.

Yeah - I completely agree. I'm really curious if they start making serious UI changes. Another thing might be a much more rigorous iCloud integration - and correct the incomprehensible iWork iCloud integration.

• Reply 7 of 108

Originally Posted by MacApfel View Post

…incomprehensible iWork iCloud integration.

• Reply 8 of 108
    macapfelmacapfel Posts: 575member

Quote:

OK, e.g.: go to Mail, click attachment and try to attach your document saved in iCloud.

No problem attaching a document saved on the computer. 

• Reply 9 of 108
    Just fix parental controls in OS X please.
  • Reply 10 of 108

Originally Posted by TitanTiger View Post

Just fix parental controls in OS X please.

Maybe explain what's wrong with them.

• Reply 10 of 108
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

Quote:

Baffling :)

• Reply 12 of 108
    chandra69chandra69 Posts: 638member

I am soooo excited and frightened.  Also, worried

• Reply 13 of 108
    pokepoke Posts: 506member

Now OS X has so many iOS features, it'd be hard to show one without the other, I think. The updates to built-in apps and iCloud will be the same on both. Presumably if iOS is getting a new look, OS X has to get a new look too, since the OS X built-in apps have the same skeuomorphic elements and textures.

• Reply 14 of 108
    gregordgregord Posts: 36member

Ocelot or Lynx, perhaps Bobcat. All the commonly known big cats are taken already. Apple might have to abandon the cat naming soon.

• Reply 15 of 108
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,035member
    Hope the June 10 Keynote will be a live webcast like last Fall's iPad mini Keynote was.
  • Reply 16 of 108
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    This announcement makes me very haptic...Sorry, happy!
  • Reply 17 of 108
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    macfandave wrote: »
    This point should have been featured in Tim Cook's remarks yesterday.

The fact that Apple had its second-best March quarter in history was overshadowed by his revealing that we have about 6 months to wait for new product news.

If you watched after-hours trading, the financial results drove the price up around $25,and then the "no news until fall" comment wiped out the gain and started the bloodbath. The cynic in me would say that when you are announcing the biggest stock buyback in history, it doesn't hurt to get the shares at a very low price.
    This morning on CNBC Joe Kernan called Apple a "gadget maker". Sadly I don't think Wall Street cares about software. All they care about is how many "gadgets" Apple sells and how many more they're going to sell in the next quarter. And that they sell these gadgets with 50% margins all the while increasing market share and continuing to grow the top and bottom line. iOS getting a new design or new features means nothing to these clowns.
  • Reply 18 of 108
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    multimedia wrote: »
    Hope the June 10 Keynote will be a live webcast like last Fall's iPad mini Keynote was.
    Streamed via ATV perhaps? :smokey:
  • Reply 19 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post

OMG so freaking excited ! But 2 more months image

They intentionally announced it today to somehow killed the buzz of Samsung Galaxy S4 reviews. Nice move Apple.

• Reply 20 of 108
    ghostface147ghostface147 Posts: 1,629member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregord View Post

Ocelot or Lynx, perhaps Bobcat. All the commonly known big cats are taken already. Apple might have to abandon the cat naming soon.

The original development of OS X was named Kodiak.  Maybe they'll abandon cats altogether.  Or maybe they'll just call it 10.9 with no name.