Apple donates $8M to Chinese earthquake recovery efforts

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 38
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Good for Apple.
  • Reply 22 of 38
    I certainly hope mstone's intention with that picture was to bring focus to the horrific consequences of the disaster. All the other smartass worthless comments on this article should be deleted. Get it together people! Many died. Apple is just doing their civic duty as any important member of China's ecosystem should. Quit reading so much into it.
  • Reply 23 of 38
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Landcruiser View Post

I certainly hope mstone's intention with that picture was to bring focus to the horrific consequences of the disaster. All the other smartass worthless comments on this article should be deleted. Get it together people! Many died. Apple is just doing their civic duty as any important member of China's ecosystem should. Quit reading so much into it.

Sorry, perhaps the picture is a bit too graphic although, I am optimistic that the child was alive based on the body language of the others in the photo. Nevertheless you are correct that my intention was to shock the ridiculously naive posters into realizing how serious the disaster is and that people are suffering while they make their snide remarks.

• Reply 24 of 38
    apple ][ wrote: »
    This is only going to get far worse in the future.

I expect a lot of apologies and bowing from Apple to the authoritarian Chinese govt in the years ahead, as Apple tries to make inroads into that place.

So a company can operate in a country taking advantage of its lower pay and non-union workers to make cheap goods for you but when natural disaster occurs with hundreds dead and thousand injured the company shouldn't make some charitable contributions. You are one cold bastard mate.
  • Reply 25 of 38
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I think this is wonderful. As a shareholder, I would have actually preferred that Apple donated a substantially bigger sum, say $100 million (~¢10 per share, less than 1/1500th of their cash pile).

Something like that would have not only blown them away, but the sheer value of the goodwill generated with a gesture like that -- in what is surely Apple's second-most important market (and most important supply base) -- would have been incalculable.

Psssst. Apple is a business, not a charity.
  • Reply 26 of 38
    sensisensi Posts: 346member
    A feature that I would like over AI's forums is the possibility to vote down nonsensical or nauseous comments... Someday hopefully.
  • Reply 27 of 38
    galbigalbi Posts: 968member

Samsung donated $9.7 Million.

• Reply 28 of 38
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Galbi View Post

Samsung donated $9.7 Million.

Why does anyone care?

• Reply 29 of 38
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Earthquake aid probably cares a great deal. Give Samsung some credit, it won't hurt you.
  • Reply 31 of 38
    kdarlingkdarling Posts: 1,640member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTR View Post

Samsung donated 9.7 million?

Then we'd best thank Apple for creating the smartphone that Samsung copied to make that 9.7 million. 

Samsung has been around for decades, and has contributed towards China relief for many years before Apple made a smartphone.

Samsung helped many China villages build roads, improve farms, create schools.

Just as in the USA, Samsung helps sponsor "Project Hope", which helps with schools and computers for kids in poverty areas.

Samsung also cosponsors the "Samsung Light" program, which supports cataract surgery for 2,000 Chinese patients a year.

It's great that Apple is now involved in some charity under Tim Cook's leadership, but that does not require bashing other companies who've done it longer.

• Reply 32 of 38
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member

Quote:

Originally Posted by KDarling View Post

Samsung has been around for decades, and has contributed towards China relief for many years before Apple made a smartphone.

Samsung helped many China villages build roads, improve farms, create schools.

Just as in the USA, Samsung helps sponsor "Project Hope", which helps with schools and computers for kids in poverty areas.

Samsung also cosponsors the "Samsung Light" program, which supports cataract surgery for 2,000 Chinese patients a year.

It's great that Apple is now involved in some charity under Tim Cook's leadership, but that does not require bashing other companies who've done it longer.

Interesting.

Not a single one of those statements denied that Samsung had profited from Apple.

• Reply 33 of 38

Quote:

Not a single one of those statements denied that Samsung had profited from Apple.

As pointed out, all those charity projects were started years before Apple even started making the iPhone.

It also shouldn't have to be pointed out that Samsung produces a lot more things than just phones.

So it doesn't even make a good joke to claim that Samsung needed to copy Apple to do charity work.  More like the other way around, since Samsung's been doing it for years.  

The upshot is, all contributors deserved credit.  There was no call for the posters in this thread who attacked both Samsung AND Apple for being good neighbors.

• Reply 34 of 38

Quote:

As pointed out, all those charity projects were started years before Apple started making the iPhone.

It also shouldn't have to be pointed out that Samsung makes a lot more things than just phones.

Your claim that Samsung needed Apple's help to contribute to charities was just false.

As I also pointed out, not a single one of those statements denied that Samsung had profited from Apple.

I'd love to see you provide some feedback or statistics on those links I provided.

• Reply 35 of 38

• Reply 36 of 38

Quote:

I'd love to see you provide some feedback or statistics on those links I provided.

Not interested in your thread hijack attempt.

This thread is about earthquake relief.

It also apparently is a good indicator of empathy levels vs. jaded views.  Just look back at the two kinds of responses.  One type in support of Apple, the other seeing it as an attempted China bribe and/or waste of Apple corporate money.

• Reply 37 of 38

Quote:

Not interested in your thread hijack attempt.

This thread is about earthquake relief.

It also apparently is a good indicator of empathy levels vs. jaded views.  Just look back at the two kinds of responses.  One type in support of Apple, the other seeing it as an attempted China bribe and/or waste of Apple corporate money.

That's okay. I understand.

It's a hard position to defend.

I wouldn't try either.

• Reply 38 of 38
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstone View Post

Right, because cautious non-involvement is always the best policy when disaster strikes. /s

The article doesn't mention it but Samsung also donated several million to the relief efforts.

Maybe Amanda Palmer will write a poem of empathy towards the earthquake?