Apple promises to show off new versions of both iOS and OS X at WWDC 2013

Comments

• Reply 61 of 108
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That said, putting iOS and OS X together into one event does lean toward even more unification between the two OSes. This is a good thing as iOS grew from the foundations of OS X and OS X has never been better by adopting elements from iOS. It also helps that iPhone and iPad users can move to a Mac and instantly understand many aspects of it with little to no training even if they've only ever used Windows. This continuing linking between the two OSes makes me think Lynx might be an ideal name for OS X 10.9.

We can only hope, for there is a lot more unification that would be worthwhile to have. Personally I'd like:

Unified Clock/Alarm across all OS X and iOS devices.
    Unified Do Not Disturb across... (plus allow me to set DND for specific events in my Calendar in addition to what they already have).
    Unified Book/PDF reader across... (and synced through iCloud).
    Unified iWork/iLife across... (i.e. include feature parity to the iOS apps so the syncing works properly).
    Unified Safari across... (i.e. add in extensions to mobile Safari so that I can finally have the identical experience on either platform).

I don't know if any of these will happen, and they probably would require that I upgrade my iOS devices, but here's to hoping.

PS: while we are on unification topic, isn't it about time they unify our dam Apple IDs? iTunes just turned 10 and it still doesn't just work...
  • Reply 62 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chandra69 View Post

I am soooo excited and frightened.  Also, worried

Hehe, lol.

• Reply 63 of 108
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

I wonder whether the next version of OS X will run on an early 2008 Macbook Pro. Because ML runs beautifully on it.

• Reply 64 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

I wonder whether the next version of OS X will run on an early 2008 Macbook Pro. Because ML runs beautifully on it.

I get the feeling that they'll leave us in the lurch.

• Reply 65 of 108
    mj1970mj1970 Posts: 9,002member

Quote:

Originally Posted by johndoe98 View Post

We can only hope, for there is a lot more unification that would be worthwhile to have. Personally I'd like:

Unified Do Not Disturb across... (plus allow me to set DND for specific events in my Calendar in addition to what they already have).

Unified iWork/iLife across... (i.e. include feature parity to the iOS apps so the syncing works properly).

Unified Safari across... (i.e. add in extensions to mobile Safari so that I can finally have the identical experience on either platform).

I don't know if any of these will happen, and they probably would require that I upgrade my iOS devices, but here's to hoping.

I agree. I suspect some (or  most) of those will happen (at least over time.) Apple is banking on making their products a "sticky ecosystem" and that kind of unification will help a lot.

• Reply 66 of 108
    pt123pt123 Posts: 696member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gregord View Post

Nobody really cares about the operating system names except geeks anyway. The OS X brand will continue to work for them. Confusing geeks with too many names and versions is pretty much impossible.

Exactly. I don't even remember what version of the OS my Mac runs. It is cool for a couple of months of showing off to friends using the cool name, then it's back to getting pissed because TextEdit takes so long to launch because a dialog pops with the iCloud option when I just want to open a local file.

• Reply 67 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I get the feeling that they'll leave us in the lurch.

But there might be a way to get it to run anyway.   ?

I read somewhere during the pre-release stages of ML that folks got it to run (or were trying to) on "unsupported" Macs. 

• Reply 68 of 108
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member

If it's called OS X 10.9, I predict the codename Cougar.

If they have the balls to call your tablet the iPad, then you'd would easily call their cat release Cougar. And given that nobody would expect them to use that name that's even more a reason to believe they will use it.

• Reply 69 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Quadra 610 View Post

But there might be a way to get it to run anyway.   ?

I read somewhere during the pre-release stages of ML that folks got it to run (or were trying to) on "unsupported" Macs. 

Never mind. Answered my own question. There are workarounds, and some of them aren't that difficult. I imagine, worst case, the workarounds will also be there for the next version. 

• Reply 70 of 108
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

johndoe98 View Post

Personally I'd like:

PS: while we are on unification topic, isn't it about time they unify our dam Apple IDs? iTunes just turned 10 and it still doesn't just work...

I second the unified account, and enabling Game Center by default. A first-party OS X ebook reader is also overdue.

Clock alarms would be difficult since OS X standby mode is different from iOS standby. Maybe they could build on Power Nap, but that doesn't apply to desktop Macs.

Do Not Disturb is already in the OS X notification center; it should be easy to give iOS the same swipe-revealed toggle.

Mobile Safari extensions could be interesting, but some of them can be accomplished with bookmarklets (which sync across Safaris via iCloud), and the Youtube/Amazon/IMDB clean layout extensions would not be necessary. If I could just edit the iOS hosts file, that would prevent Facebook from tracking me and building a shadow profile.

• Reply 71 of 108
    vorsosvorsos Posts: 302member

pt123 View Post

I don't even remember what version of the OS my Mac runs. It is cool for a couple of months of showing off to friends using the cool name, then it's back to getting pissed because TextEdit takes so long to launch because a dialog pops with the iCloud option when I just want to open a local file.

Skip the dialog by opening text files directly, via Spotlight, Finder, or right-click the Textedit dock icon and look in the Recents menu. Textedit also doesn't bring up the dialog if you previously Quit with at least one document open.

Ireland View Post

If it's called OS X 10.9, I predict the codename Cougar.

If they have the balls to call your tablet the iPad, then you'd would easily call their cat release Cougar. And given that nobody would expect them to use that name that's even more a reason to believe they will use it.

True. People even got over "Nintendo Wii."

MS bloggers and Joy of Tech will snark on the low hanging fruit as usual, and the world moves on.

• Reply 72 of 108
    vorsos wrote: »

Do Not Disturb is already in the OS X notification center; it should be easy to give iOS the same swipe-revealed toggle.

It is? How do you access it? I can't find anything in the system preferences or any where else for that matter not to alert or notify me for preset time periods. Rather I'd have to turn off all my apps in notification center during that preset time, and turn every back on after, which is quite a long and annoying process. There should be a DND preference pane in the system preferences.
  • Reply 73 of 108
    joelsaltjoelsalt Posts: 827member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sol77 View Post

OSX Kitteh.  Never been used, and will lower expectations to market norm.  

Don't you mean market nom?

• Reply 74 of 108
    gazoobeegazoobee Posts: 3,754member

Quote:

How would you pronounce xOS? The X in OS X is pronounced 'ten' not 'ex'

The trouble is that while tech weenies of all stripes and the core Mac faithful have pounded this fact home for years … most people still won't look at an "X" and see a "10."  

Regardless of the fact that yes it's "supposed" to represent a "10," the brand is still "OS X" and all the packaging for years and years has featured the "X" as the main design element. 

I'm incredibly ancient myself and I remember Roman Numerals being an afterthought in grade school that the majority of the class didn't get and didn't like.  Anyone younger than 30 or so probably didn't get Roman Numerals in school at all, let alone all the kids and adults from other countries.  

There's what it's supposed to be, and there's what most people see it as.  You can't fight perception.   Just like most people think of Apple computers as "Macs" even though they should really be "Apples."  

To answer your question ... just like most folks already say "Oh-Ess-Ex" and "Eye-Oh-Ess," xOS would be pronounced "Ex-Oh-Ess"

It was just a suggestion anyway.  My main point was that I believe that an inescapable re-branding of some sort is on the horizon.  

• Reply 75 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by pt123 View Post

Exactly. I don't even remember what version of the OS my Mac runs. It is cool for a couple of months of showing off to friends using the cool name, then it's back to getting pissed because TextEdit takes so long to launch because a dialog pops with the iCloud option when I just want to open a local file.

Get text mate 2 alpha. Free open source and awesome.

• Reply 76 of 108
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Get text mate 2 alpha. Free open source and awesome.

What does this have to do with anything?

• Reply 77 of 108
    macfandave wrote: »
    This point should have been featured in Tim Cook's remarks yesterday.

The fact that Apple had its second-best March quarter in history was overshadowed by his revealing that we have about 6 months to wait for new product news.

If you watched after-hours trading, the financial results drove the price up around $25,and then the "no news until fall" comment wiped out the gain and started the bloodbath. The cynic in me would say that when you are announcing the biggest stock buyback in history, it doesn't hurt to get the shares at a very low price.

Yes, I noticed that, too... As the question and [non] answer period progressed, the dropping share price seemed to reflect lack of specific answers.

I know that the earnings call is not the forum for product announcements -- but in some cases, "no comment" is the best answer. You must avoid setting expectations too high -- and setting them too low!

I am getting tired of Time Cook saying things like:
    "Apple's product pipeline is "chock full" of "incredible stuff."

and
    “Our teams are hard at work on some amazing new hardware, software, and services..."

As to the dearth of new Apple products until the "fall", I posted the following to another forum.

Real Artists Ship!

That said, I understand that there may be "technology" issues with new hardware (yield, availability, etc).

However there are things Apple could be announcing and delivering, RSN.

iWork OS X hasn't had a major upgrade since '09 -- it should be upgraded to include the features needed to do what 80% of MS Office users need... Then the iOS equivalents should be brought into feature parity with the OS X versions. Thus, Apple could pre-empt Office on iOS and negate the [only] appeal of MS Surface tablets.

iLife OS X hasn't had a major upgrade since '11 -- it should be upgraded too, then the iOS equivalents brought into feature parity.

The Aperture and Logic pro apps are due for upgrade.

Apple Maps should be fleshed out with better POI data, satellite maps, and 3D Flyover.

iCloud needs a DropBox-like file access/sharing feature.

Some of the os-related software upgrades could be announced & released at WWDC...

But, the others have been just "twisting in the wind"...

I am quite surprised that Tim Cook (unlike Steve Jobs) doesn't always have some new "announcements" in his back pocket -- to release to keep the market buzzing about Apple!

"Amazing stuff" in the "pipeline" -- just doesn't cut it!
  • Reply 78 of 108
    gregord wrote: »
    Ocelot or Lynx, perhaps Bobcat. All the commonly known big cats are taken already. Apple might have to abandon the cat naming soon.

• Reply 79 of 108

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

What does this have to do with anything?

Sorry it was in response to pt123, forgot to quote initially. He complained about TextEdit being slow to open

• Reply 80 of 108
    mj1970 wrote: »
    <span style="font-size:13px;line-height:1.231;">They could streamline naming and branding into something like this:</span>

• iOS mobile
    • iOS desktop

How about keeping iOS as it is and renaming Mac OS X as the iOS Development Platform?¡

Seriously though, why rename them at all. I quite like OS X as a brand but if they have to rename it I'd like to see xOS and iOS. I just like the way those look.

Seriously though, why rename them at all. I quite like OS X as a brand but if they have to rename it I'd like to see xOS and iOS. I just like the way those look.

You want to pronounce it, too? You people are so demanding¡ :D

As I stated, I like the way it looks.

Pronounce it as the X in xylophone... Xochimilco...

Personally, I like the name Apple OS... or just OS (after all, what other OSes of note are there?)