Whats the best printer for $100-$150?

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
I'm looking to buy a new printer for around 100-150. Mostly i'm just going to print off text and the occasional picture. I'd like soemthing fairy fast, with decent picture quality and doesn't make much sound.

Was looking at an hp photosmart, wondering if they're good or if there are any better printers for that price range.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 10
    mcqmcq Posts: 1,543member
    The Photosmart printers are pretty nice, I have the P1100 and it's a very good overall printer. You may want to wait a little if you use Jaguar, Photosmart drivers aren't out for Jaguar yet (at least, not for the P1100). HP says they should be out by the end of the month.
  • Reply 2 of 10
    lexmark z53... i got it for $90 at pcmall.com
  • Reply 3 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    buying advice goes into GD. mods please move.
  • Reply 4 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    Don't buy a photo printer if all you're going to do is print text and an occasional photo.

Photo inkjets really aren't economical. They devour ink cartridges and the printoouts don't get a protective coating like you see with many dye-sub printers. On glossy paper moisture can cause the ink to flake right off.

If you really want a 'photo' printer, I'd probably go with Epson's Stylus Photo series. I don't think HP can touch Epson in this area.

Supposedly the HP printers are really good for printing text though, especially the new ones like the Deskjet 3820, 5550 and 6122.

I've traditionally purchased Epson printers. I have bought a 740, 870 and C80 in the last 3 years, but I just ended up getting a Deskjet 3820 low-end printer for my sister. It's cheap, slow and only has a 90 day warranty, but it's also small and should print text just fine. It's ~$99.

Epson's comparable model is the C62, which is slightly faster, and probably marginally better with photos. <-- Not a selling point for a shutterbug.

The Stylus Photo 820 is like a 6-color version of the C60/C62...maybe that'll fit your needs. It's also ~$99.
  • Reply 5 of 10
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    eugene, check your pm please
  • Reply 6 of 10
    Inkjets are evil!!!

I want to get a 600 DPI Samsung ML-1430 Laser printer.

$199

Think to yourself, do you REALLLY need color?
  • Reply 7 of 10
    eugeneeugene Posts: 8,254member
    I bought my first laser 2 days ago actually. an HP LaserJet 1200. I wanted something that had support OOB from Apple, and the Samsung printers aren't listed. The Samsungs seem like a fantastic deal otherwise...small and good output.
  • Reply 8 of 10
    norfanorfa Posts: 171member
    I just bought a Samsung ML-1210. The OSX driver page doesn't work at their web site , but apart from that it's a great printer at a great price. And the printer will work in OS9 without rebooting. Just use any non carbon OS9 ap, they're probably on your machine anyway.
  • Reply 9 of 10
    HP Inkjet.
  • Reply 10 of 10
    I agree with Eugene. Epsons are great. I bought an EpsonStylus Color 777 (under $99) and it prints photos great in all formats and papers and text printing is crisp and sharp. Migrated to OS X without a hitch (drivers were with the OS X 10 .1 .5 install).

Inkjets are great only if you're an occasional printer user. Logically, you don't ending using up the ink.