Wall Street disappointed by indications that Apple won't launch new products until fall

Comments

• Reply 21 of 156
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

Wall Street hasn't been about actually investing to create things for a long, long time. It's now about passing money around and skimming off the top to make the rich richer, and never to create a single job.

Apple is out profiting Everyone. And I mean EVERY COMPANY ON EARTH.

Yet these 'experts' are not impressed.

When society finally breaks down, Wall Streeters will be the first ones eaten.

So Wall Street and investors should not be concerned by the fact that was acknowledged by Tim Cook last night that Apple is growing top line slower than the overall smartphone market?  They shouldn't be concerned that Apple just announced they expect a massive decline in year over year earnings?  They shouldn't care that the risk of the strategy is higher, not lower, when management puts all products out all at once creating execution issues themselves?  I'll have to check the numbers, but I think Samsung is now expected to make more money than Apple in the June and Sept. quarters.  Once the king of the hill, the are playing second fiddle from a growth and future earnings perspective, regardless of the quality of the products, what their history has been in the past, etc.  Times have changed.  Big investors are bailing and betting on another horse because as someone put it last night after the call, 'Apple's product roadmap is a rudderless ship right now.' I just listened to a bullish analyst who basically said who cares about new products, the main concern now is can they even do the simple stuff any management team, any reasonable investor would expect them to do and that the answer remains and open one as they haven't shown the market an ability to do nearly anything in the face of the competitive onslaught, so many investors fear its too late, they were caught flat-footed and are simply playing catch-up.  

Revenue is falling off a cliff in the early innings of a smartphone growth cycle.  How can a company in a secular growth market slow revenue growth so dramatically (actually negative revenue growth forecasted this qtr I believe), with earnings slowing even more?  The answer to that is the question that will make investors a lot of money on either the long or short side from here.

• Reply 22 of 156
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleZilla View Post

When society finally breaks down, Wall Streeters will be the first ones eaten.

And rightly so. From the Bonfire of the Vanities:

JUDY
    Here. Let me try. Darling, Daddy
    doesn't build roads or hospitals
    or anything, really. Daddy just
    handles the bonds for the people
    who raise the money.
    CAMPBELL
    That's what he said. Bonds.

JUDY
    Yes. See, just imagine that a
    bond is a slice of cake. Now you
    didn't bake that cake, but every
    time you hand somebody a slice of
    that cake, a little bit comes off,
    little crumbs fall off. And you're
    allowed to keep those crumbs.
    (CONTINUED)

102 CONTINUED: (2) 102
    SHERMAN
    Crumbs? Really...

MR. McCOY
    (pointedly)
    And many a man has sold his soul
    for those little crumbs.

JUDY
    (enjoying this)
    Yes. And that's what Daddy does.
    He passes somebody else's cake
    around and picks up the crumbs.
    But you have to imagine a lot of
    crumbs. And a great golden cake.
    And a lot of golden crumbs. And
    you have to imagine Daddy running
    around picking up every little
    golden crumb he can get his hands
    on. That's what Daddy does.
  • Reply 23 of 156
    How about amazon ?? Disappointed ? It takes many years to get the same profit as Apple .
  • Reply 24 of 156
    here is my notion on this matter. the iPhone 5, iPad 4, iPod Touch 5, the new nano, new lineup of Macs were all introduced in THE FALL!!! how is it a surprise that the market would not see a new device until then. Tgese market analysts can take a freaking hike if you ask me. you know Apple's trends, why are you so surprised.

The one word I have to sum these people up with is, Morons!
  • Reply 25 of 156
    Cook is making the big mistake of caring what investors think. Cook is taking SJ's final words to him "Don't ask, "What would Steve do"?" too seriously. SJ would say, ignore Wall Street. Cook and the other boys ask what would Steve do. SJ would be right.
  • Reply 26 of 156

You know the thing about ANALysts....They are full of SH**

• Reply 27 of 156
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member

Where is the logic in having these huge product release holes, and then releasing a whole crapload of stuff at once? Do you not want to spread out your product releases throughout the year, instead of everything arriving around the same time and not being able to meet demand?

I can already see the headlines for the rest of 2013. 

New Apple products finally announced, after a summer of absolutely no new Apple releases and no real product news, besides retarded rumors of course, which never end, not even for a single day. Macbook supplies constrained. iPhone supplies constrained. iPad supplies constrained.

Foxconn workers revolt, forced to work overtime, in order to meet increased ramp up of production of Apple products. 127 Chinese people jump to their deaths while making iPhones. Foxconn workers now ordered to wear parachutes while working. The New York Times and Mike Daisy have orgasms.

Apple finally releases budget iPhone. Will first be released in Somalia, Afghanistan and Haiti. 18 other countries to follow shortly thereafter.

Same Analysts who called for budget iPhone now attack Apple for declining margins, caused by budget iPhone and the cannibalization of premium iPhone. Same analysts lower their price targets for Apple yet again, due to declining margins.

Every five weeks, Chinese state run media will launch a new set of attacks against Apple.

I could continue, but I won't. 

• Reply 28 of 156
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    WSJ has something bad to say about Apple? Shocking¡

You mean other than Mossberg.
  • Reply 29 of 156
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Where is the logic in having these huge product release holes, and then releasing a whole crapload of stuff at once? Do you not want to spread out your product releases throughout the year, instead of everything arriving around the same time and not being able to meet demand?

New Apple products finally announced, after a summer of absolutely no new Apple releases and no real product news, besides retarded rumors of course, which never end, not even for a single day. Macbook supplies constrained. iPhone supplies constrained. iPad supplies constrained.

Foxconn workers revolt, forced to work overtime, in order to meet increased ramp up of production of Apple products. 127 Chinese people jump to their deaths while making iPhones. Foxconn workers now ordered to wear parachutes while working. The New York Times and Mike Daisy have orgasms.

Apple finally releases budget iPhone. Will first be released in Somalia, Afghanistan and Haiti. 18 other countries to follow shortly thereafter.

Same Analysts who called for budget iPhone now attack Apple for declining margins, caused by budget iPhone and the cannibalization of premium iPhone. Same analysts lower their price targets for Apple yet again, due to declining margins.

Every five weeks, Chinese state run media will launch a new set of attacks against Apple.

Not only not meeting demand but forcing people to choose which device to buy. Not many people can afford a iPhone, iPads, or Mac all at once especially around the holidays. Much easier to buy when they're spread out throughout the year.
  • Reply 30 of 156
    jungmark wrote: »
    Dear Wall Street,

Apple doesn't NEED to do anything. The same analysts probably said Apple needed to sell a Netbook.

The reason why they are analysts is because they failed at running businesses.

I agree
  • Reply 31 of 156
    aaarrrggghaaarrrgggh Posts: 1,609member
    My two cents... I'm disappointed that Apple doesn't appear to have anything for the next 5-6 months that could be a game changer, because that is the only way the stock could get back to $600.

But, I am happy about the share repurchase, as it seems to track pretty well with the reduced profit expectation, so EPS should flatten out to a point of stability.

As for the punditry talking about what Apple should make now, it is amusing. The reason the 4 and 4S are still so successful is because people like the look of them, they are cost competitive, and the owners don't need to spend another $40-60+ on new cables or adapters.

What Apple needs to do to be Apple is come up with the next revolutionary product in due course. Apple 2.0 had a great chart people should see and understand: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/15/apple-ipod-iphone-disruption/

Products run their course, and disruptive innovation takes over. If you are lucky a product lives a long "maintenance" life like the Mac, and provides a foundation for the future.
  • Reply 32 of 156
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    My two cents... I'm disappointed that Apple doesn't appear to have anything for the next 5-6 months that could be a game changer, because that is the only way the stock could get back to $600.

But, I am happy about the share repurchase, as it seems to track pretty well with the reduced profit expectation, so EPS should flatten out to a point of stability.

As for the punditry talking about what Apple should make now, it is amusing. The reason the 4 and 4S are still so successful is because people like the look of them, they are cost competitive, and the owners don't need to spend another $40-60+ on new cables or adapters.

What Apple needs to do to be Apple is come up with the next revolutionary product in due course. Apple 2.0 had a great chart people should see and understand: http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2013/04/15/apple-ipod-iphone-disruption/

Products run their course, and disruptive innovation takes over. If you are lucky a product lives a long "maintenance" life like the Mac, and provides a foundation for the future.

Interesting article but how can Apple consume the iPhone when it's so many things already. It was easy to consume the iPod because it served one purpose. Integrating it was easy. What other product is out there that people aren't using much that Apple can reinvent or revolutionize?
  • Reply 33 of 156
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Let's give WSJ the "Duh!" award for the year!

As concerned as everyone else is about supply chain issues and single quarter product intros, I'm keeping faith that Apple knows what the heck they are doing.  Wall Street needs to butt-out and let Apple do what they do best.  Run the most successful company in the last 10 years and make the greatest tech products and services than anyone else in the last 10 years.  Jobs thought that way, Warren Buffet thinks this way too.  Just butt-out and let them do their job.

• Reply 34 of 156
    alanskyalansky Posts: 235member
    "Wall Street is disappointed, Wall Street is disappointed..."

Wall Street can go to Hell!!!
  • Reply 35 of 156

so there won't be nothing to talk about until wwdc, right? 2 months.

see ya!

• Reply 36 of 156
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    This morning on CNBC, Joe Kernan called Apple a "gadget maker". Seem pretty clear now that is the Wall Street sentiment on the company. Apple is a maker of gadgets and should be pumping out new toys every 6 months. And not just any toys, but mind blowing revolutionary products that only Steve Jobs would think of.
  • Reply 37 of 156
    msimpsonmsimpson Posts: 452member

Speculators vs Investors...

Speculators are mad because they can't make quick money in the short-term churning Apple stock

Investors see strong financials, a huge loyal customer base, excellent products, great cash reserve, plans to increase the dividends and stock buy backs and see that Apple should out perform the market and most companies for years ahead.

Buy and hold.

• Reply 38 of 156
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

It is difficult. I am sure Apple has an 'ideal' release cycle, but what do you do if you fail to meet your own deadline? You want the product out asap. Holding on to it may be a bad move. Do you waste time and enrgy and release an interim product that everyone will hate, or be disappointed at? 'Making Stuff' is hard, and getting it 'right' is very hard. I completely think it is ok for Apple to follow its own beat and deliver when they can. Not to say it is ideal to bunch releases up... but it'll make for a fun month or two.

• Reply 39 of 156
    buckalecbuckalec Posts: 203member

By clearly implying fall keeps the stock affordable to repurchase - explains the logic of the payback decision timing. The word "surprise" was prevalent yesterday too - why would Apple give Samsung a heads up of a pending launch, hopefully a surprise in this half - a bloody mac pro at least - either way confidently long still

• Reply 40 of 156
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Not only not meeting demand but forcing people to choose which device to buy. Not many people can afford a iPhone, iPads, or Mac all at once especially around the holidays. Much easier to buy when they're spread out throughout the year.
    One, we don't know what's coming out this fall. Two, Cook said this fall and 2014 which leads me to believe they're getting their ducks in a row for 2014 to be able to push big things out across the whole year. I doubt Apple is intentionally holding things back to release them all in one quarter.