Wall Street disappointed by indications that Apple won't launch new products until fall

Comments

• Reply 61 of 156

There are only three $100+B companies with a (current) p/e less than that of Apple's: Chevron, Shell, and J P Morgan Chase.

And, if my arithmetic is correct, Apple's operating assets (i.e., market cap less cash) have a forward p/e of 5x.

Wow. I don't think an opportunity like this will come around very often. A few years from now, the naysayers will look back and weep.

• Reply 62 of 156
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

We will have to wait and see...

I read a quote that said new "Ground Braking" products coming in the fall.

iPhone 5S and low cost iPhones are not particularly ground breaking.

iRadio, iTV, iWatch would likely be ground breaking...

Well, I would also include desktops/laptops, also the next generation products like Time Capsule, since 802.11ac is getting ready for prime time.

• Reply 63 of 156
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    simtub wrote: »
    Wall Street can go and F themselves!!

Now, now it's not as if Wall Street was somehow responsible for the current state of the economy with lost jobs and spending cut-backs. I mean, if they were, they'd be held accountable for it like they try to hold Cook accountable:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/23/untouchables-wall-street-prosecutions-obama

If they were responsible and repeatedly criticised for it, they wouldn't have a problem with it and so why shouldn't they repeatedly criticise Apple:

http://thinkprogress.org/economy/2010/09/20/119924/obama-vs-hedge-fund-manager/

So they have every right to be disappointed in companies that don't have the luxury of a multi-trillion dollar safety net because consumers aren't spending enough in a bankrupt economy that they totally had nothing to do with. It's really the fault of the companies that aren't trying hard enough to undo the damage they caused.

Shame on you Tim Cook for not making cheaper phones that appeal to people who have lost jobs or had pay cuts as a result of businesses suffering at the hands of the economy caused by Wall Street. Wall Street is disappointed in you.

Perhaps the nice folks on Wall Street can march themselves down to the nearest prison cell, serve their time for fraud and then earn the right to say who they are disappointed with.
  • Reply 64 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Problem with Wall Street is that they are disappointed no matter what. The stupid analysts (see the word anal in there) are basically that - stupid.

I personally see no reason for Google to be at the price it is and for Apple to fall $300 in the last 6 months.

If Apple releases new products they are dissatisfied it it is does not they are disappointed.

I say screw them.

Here's the problem with analysts.  First off, very few of them spend enough time researching Apple.  They typically have 20 sometimes as many as 30 or 40 companies they are monitoring.  So, they can't devote that much time per company.  Second, they have to write papers on what they feel the company is going to do over the next X quarters and they fill out spreadsheets based on what guidance they get from Apple, and what they FEEL will be reality to figure out if the stock is a good/bad investment over the next year.   They typically don't recommend based on anything over a year because they just don't work on that level.  If they make a recommendation, they have to be accurate, so they are TYPICALLY going to be conservative on their guidance.

ANY and ALL high tech companies have to continually put out new technology and EVERYONE, including these analysts are used to Apple having quarterly product releases, so if a company indicates that there won't be much new products to be released over a 6 to 8 month period, THEY are going to get a little nervous.  They don't know what products will get released when anymore than we do.   These roadmaps that have been released are NOT 100% cast in stone.

EIther way,  I was hoping for at LEAST something new released in the March quarter, but that didn't happen.  There SHOULD be something release THIS quarter, but if there isn't, then that would be 6 months with no product releases and then it falls into the Sept and Dec quarters and that's not typical of Apple to only release products during the last 4 months of the year.  I would be cautious as well.

• Reply 65 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So, no new Mac Pro this year?

They have to wait for new XEON chips as well as new Thunderbolt chips and possibly waiting for 802.11ac chips.  But that's just a GUESS on my part. 

• Reply 66 of 156
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

So, no new Mac Pro this year?

Where's that impliable?

… Implicable. Im… How d'ya figure?

• Reply 67 of 156
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    rogifan wrote: »
    One, we don't know what's coming out this fall. Two, Cook said this fall and 2014 which leads me to believe they're getting their ducks in a row for 2014 to be able to push big things out across the whole year. I doubt Apple is intentionally holding things back to release them all in one quarter.

What would they be holding back?
  • Reply 68 of 156
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymouse View Post

... like netbooks. Remember when Wall Street was insisting, demanding, that Apple had to enter the netbook market or they were doomed? How's that netbook market looking now, Wall Street? Oh, right, it's dead, killed off because Apple ignored your advice.

Netbooks with Blueray.

• Reply 69 of 156

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Netbooks with Blueray.

And VGA. And no Thunderbolt, but microUSB 3.

• Reply 70 of 156
    hill60hill60 Posts: 6,992member

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

>insert steaming pile

Take your money out and f*ck off, Apple don't need you.

• Reply 71 of 156
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member

Quote:

Originally Posted by paxman View Post

Not to say it is ideal to bunch releases up... but it'll make for a fun month or two.

Like Cook said, he wished he could have held back the iMac release until 2013 but Apple like every other big retailer lives and dies by the holiday season and so it shall be again. Everything new for Christmas.

• Reply 72 of 156
    joshajosha Posts: 901member
    If the Wall Street mouths took over the running of Apple, Apple would be a financial cripple within 12 months.

But I guess they are paid to attract attention to themselves,
    whereas Apple pays their employees to create and sell first class products at a profit.
  • Reply 73 of 156
    boeyc15boeyc15 Posts: 986member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This morning on CNBC, Joe Kernan called Apple a "gadget maker". Seem pretty clear now that is the Wall Street sentiment on the company. Apple is a maker of gadgets and should be pumping out new toys every 6 months. And not just any toys, but mind blowing revolutionary products that only Steve Jobs would think of.

Theres the problem right there... you were watching a business channel. Shrill entertainment for the un-informed(count me as one in my younger years).

Kind of a side topic but IMO kind of sums up the stock market, wall street and their ilk.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/retirement-gamble/

• Reply 74 of 156

With the 2013 Intel roadmap Apple really didn't have much of an option when it comes to MacBook Pro, iMac updates. At the very least they would have to wait until June for the release of Haswell. While this release will give a CPU bump the big advantage for the MacBook Pro will come from the GPU increase which should help push the Retina display better and should improve battery life.

Unless there is going to be some other design change I am not sure if waiting for Fall is really the best option.

When it comes to iOS devices IMHO I don't know why Apple wouldn't put out a lighter iPad 5 and a more powerful iPad Mini before the fall. Based on at least the rumors and common sense that would appear to be the direction they are going with both products.

For those simply saying F**K Wall Street, those comment are nothing more than ignorant.

• Reply 75 of 156
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    drblank wrote: »
    The dilemma is that Apple can't put out products as quickly as you, I, or Wall Street wants because Apple, like everyone else, has to wait for Intel or some other technology that comes from a variety of component mfg to be released and in high enough quantities to be able to have a successful launch.

For laptops, iMacs and MacMinis (or other potential desktop computers) Apple and everyone else is waiting for Haswell updates and i'm sure the new  802.11ac spec (chips) have to be released since that's the next generation products.  So what can ANYONE do about it?  NOTHING.

Yeah, I'm sure it would be great for Apple to finally release the next MacPro systems, but they have to wait until Intel releases the new XEON chips and whatever else they have to wait for.

iPhones?  Well, I'm sure Apple is trying to figure out the Fingerprint ID technology, and they are working on new processors, etc.

iTV?  I'm sure that's mostly just a new designed product they are waiting for whatever technology to be available.

The unfortunate problem seems to be out of Apple's hands.

Will they announce anything this quarter?  Maybe.  I wouldn't be surprised if they made SOME announcements.

Next quarter?  Summer months are generally not the best months to release product, but we might have some announcements.

Either way, we can only sit back and wait. (snip)

Finally, a little realism.

Everybody who's griping about the bunched-up release schedule last year and this year, stop and think for once.

These products that incorporate new technologies are hard to develop, and they can't be done on any arbitrary schedule!

Examples are the GF2 touch screens for the iPad mini, and the new display-to-glass lamination on the new iMacs. You can't always predict when you can get your suppliers to reliably manufacture millions of whatever breakthrough you're pushing for a device.

You may notice that things are getting more and more complicated with Apple's devices, and ever more refined, and moreso than other manufacturers they hold themselves to a tighter discipline when it comes to the tradeoffs that they want to avoid.

A yearly sceduled update has now become unrealistic for any Apple product. That was for the infancy of the portable device revolution, and the high-pixel-density revolution, that Apple has started. The next threshold that Apple is going to have to cross is the GF2 plus IGZO screens. It may take many months to find out if your predictions about production are realistic.

Time for you people complaining about Fall crowding of the release schedule to take a mature look at the problems Apple sets for themselves when they push the envelope for your benefit.
  • Reply 76 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by hill60 View Post

Take your money out and f*ck off, Apple don't need you.

Brought to you by one of our 15 year old members.

• Reply 77 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

AAPL's gonna be just fine, though.

I'm not sure how you could backup that statement given the late six months. Adding no new product releases for at least another 4-5 months. I would say anantksundaram nailed it, it's going to be a long hard summer for AAPL shareholders.

• Reply 78 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by simtub View Post

Wall Street can go and F themselves!!

I have a simple question.  Are you disappointed that there was any product announcements last quarter and most likely no product announcements this quarter?  Does that disappoint you?  It disappoints me.  But it's not going to prevent me from investing or not investing in the stock.  I see the stock as very cheap for those that are LONG TERM investors.  IF I had money to invest, I think that this might be the best time to invest and hold the stock for a 2 to 3 year period at minimum.

Apple has to wait for other key component suppliers before they update a current product.

They are dealing with Intel, Sharp/LG/etc. for screens, and whomever else for 802.11ac chips, and their own processor mfg suppliers for which they are ramping up production facilities and that, unfortunately, takes time.

At least Apple is spending more on R&D, which is a good sign.

• Reply 79 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

There are only three $100+B companies with a (current) p/e less than that of Apple's: Chevron, Shell, and J P Morgan Chase.

And, if my arithmetic is correct, Apple's operating assets (i.e., market cap less cash) have a forward p/e of 5x.

Wow. I don't think an opportunity like this will come around very often. A few years from now, the naysayers will look back and weep.

In terms of the stock as an investment, Apple is quite attractive, especially if you are a long term (2 to 3 or more years) investor.   If I had some money to invest right now, I would probably dump some of it into the stock and more if it went down during the summer.

It's always a tough call when there are no product announcements set for at least another quarter or two.

I think everyone just got used to updates on a bi-yearly basis, now we are entering a once a year basis and some some are every 1 1/2.    It sucks, but Apple has to rely on many others before they can release a new product and there isn't much Apple can do about it.  I do wish Apple released a bigger screen iPhone 5, but then again, I have to wait until next year until my 2 year contract is up, so I can wait another 8 months.

• Reply 79 of 156

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Adding no new product releases for at least another 4-5 months.

lawl, fud.