Apple's R&D expenses surge 33%, on pace to top $4 billion this year

Comments

• Reply 22 of 74
    jd_in_sbjd_in_sb Posts: 1,600member

Microsoft spent $9 billion and the end result is Windows 8/Metro?

• Reply 23 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    jd_in_sb wrote: »
    Microsoft spent $9 billion and the end result is Windows 8/Metro?

There has to be a serious comment to that... I am just laughing too hard to think of one.
  • Reply 24 of 74
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Because we all know its about how much you spend. Spending more $$ = more/better innovation. Clearly if Apple was as smart as Microsoft and spent $9B instead of $4 their stock would be $1000! /s
  • Reply 25 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    arch wrote: »

Google, Microsoft, Samsung, Intel, Nokia spend much more than Apple (not just as %).

Yup and they all make less profit than Apple. Just goes to show you that spending money doesn't guarantee results. Besides copy machines and spies are getting expensive.
  • Reply 26 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowley View Post

You have to get to the real doldrums of tiny countries before you find one that has $4bn of GDP. Not really worth the comparison.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

Mostly island nations, city states, or impoverished African nations.

Not to pick nits, but the original poster didn't specify any particular cut-off point for the size of the country, just that the company is spending more than the GDP of some of them. Still impressive, either way.

• Reply 27 of 74
    cash907cash907 Posts: 893member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

The Samsungs of the world thank you Apple for letting them avoid paying for their own R&D.

And if Samsung hadn't literally spent double last year on R&D what Apple is bragging about spending this year, your clever quip might mean something.

• Reply 28 of 74

Comparing Apple's RD budget to others is very wrong. Heck, comparing amongst companies is very VERY skewed. How many markets are these companies in? How many products do these companies have? I mean heck, Samsung makes SHIPS. Again, products and markets of companies need to be factored in. I have no idea what MS is spending 9B on.

• Reply 29 of 74
    dgnr8dgnr8 Posts: 196member

The point was not to find out what nations spend how much and their status in the world. 

The point was that the R&D Apple spends is as much as any nation with a GDP equaling 4 billion.

I was not trying to get into semantics but rather the jaw dropping amount spent on R&D.

Again I repeat ... Amazing ...

• Reply 30 of 74
    Last quarter Cook said that the pipeline is chock full of stuff, and now he is suggesting new stuff is coming next year. I am getting the impression that by able doing so much themselves / in house, they are creating a lot of extra work for themselves that costs money and slows them down. Chip design, as an example. Maybe the chips they produce are superior, maybe not. They could just be recreating the wheel.
  • Reply 31 of 74

Quote:

The Samsungs of the world thank you Apple for letting them avoid paying for their own R&D.

With comments like this, it is no wonder Apple fans are regarded by many as the delusional and hate-filled fundamentalists of the tech world.

FYI, Samsung's R&D spending was $9 billion in 2011 already (compared to Apple's projected $4 billion in 2013).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-R-D-spending-reached-record-9-billion-in-2011_id28667

and, from http://www.economist.com/blogs/graphicdetail/2012/10/focus-7

• Reply 32 of 74
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    applewill wrote: »
    With comments like this it is no wonder Apple fans are regarded as the delusional and hate-filled fundamentalists of the tech world by many.

FYI, Samsung's R&D spending was $9 billion in 2011 already (compared to Apple's projected $4 billion in 2013).

http://www.phonearena.com/news/Samsung-R-D-spending-reached-record-9-billion-in-2011_id28667

Again, corporate espionage is expensive.
  • Reply 33 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah, but don't [insert company names here] spend more R&D as a percent of revenue or whatever than Apple does? I mean that's what we hear every day from Wall Street.

I think % of net would be a more interesting figure.

• Reply 34 of 74
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave MacLachlan View Post

Not to pick nits, but the original poster didn't specify any particular cut-off point for the size of the country, just that the company is spending more than the GDP of some of them. Still impressive, either way.

My point is that it isn't really that impressive, given the size of the countries, and by referring to "countries"  when most people would read that as economies of global significance is a little disingenuous.  I quite possibly earn more in a day more than some people earn in a year, but that's really just reflective of how abominable some people's living conditions are that any meaningful statement about my income.

• Reply 35 of 74
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Guys come on! It takes a lot of funding for Apple to come up with recent breakthrough innovations such as a bigger megapixel camera and a rotation lock button that's in a NEW place.
  • Reply 36 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by pedromartins View Post

And that's proof of how stupid they are.

There's 0 innovation from those sides, only small experiments. Apple is the one that outmuscles industries and pushes their way forward.

Clearly, Samsung has zero "innovation"...

I guess that is why Samsung held 47,000 patents in the USA by 2012 (compared to Apple's 4,600).

See: http://www.statista.com/statistics/220532/number-of-us-patents-held-by-tech-companies/

• Reply 37 of 74

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Ah, but don't [insert company names here] spend more R&D as a percent of revenue or whatever than Apple does? I mean that's what we hear every day from Wall Street.

You mean like this:

still looking for Apple on that chart...

• Reply 38 of 74
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    applewill wrote: »
    Clearly, Samsung has zero "innovation"...

I guess that is why they held 47,000 patents in the USA by 2012 (compared to Apple's 4,600).

See: <a href="http://www.statista.com/statistics/220532/number-of-us-patents-held-by-tech-companies/" style="line-height:1.231;" target="_blank">http://www.statista.com/statistics/220532/number-of-us-patents-held-by-tech-companies/</a>;

You just exemplified the old saying ... 'Quality counts more than quantity' .... beautifully. 8-)
  • Reply 39 of 74
    richard getzrichard getz Posts: 1,142member

Quote:

Literally laughed out load on this! : ) 

• Reply 40 of 74
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,417member

Quote:

Originally Posted by DGNR8 View Post

Wow they spend as much on R&D as some countries GDP.

Amazing considering where they were in the mid 90's

Just Amazing.....

Haha — I was *just* reading one of the "Wall Street upset with Apple 'cause yadda yadda" articles and thinking of the days when I feared my Centris 650 would be the last Mac I'd own due to Apple imploding, then again when getting my beige G3 tower...