Wall Street disappointed by indications that Apple won't launch new products until fall

Comments

• Reply 101 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

And your implication is that we won't know anything about anything until "fall"? 

Please do.

Your implications is that we will. My point being Wall Street doesn't respond well to "what if". If your going to respond to my posts please at least give me the courtesy of a rational debate instead of just "FUD". A quiet processor upgrade is not really a new product. The point I was making is I can understand why the Mac lineup would wait for the release of Haswell but I do see an advantage in having the reason of a lighter iPad5 and a more power iPad mini. If you think that is going to happen then we agree it's a good idea.

• Reply 102 of 156
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

Your implications is that we will.

We have been told, directly from Apple itself, that we will. 

FACT.

A quiet processor upgrade is not really a new product.

It's an update. It fits the criteria necessary to negate the "nothing until fall" premise.

• Reply 103 of 156
    sumergosumergo Posts: 215member

Sure.  Apple will never be top-of-the-hill forever, but I'm not getting who the "they" is that "might not be able to dethrone Apple they can chip away at their earnings".

My point is - why do (so-called, in their own mind) financial wizards like to put down such a successful American company?

• Reply 104 of 156
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    Totally puzzling product intro roadmap. With the bunching increasing the likelihood of creating supply issues and shortages, as happened last year.

It's going to be a long, hard summer for AAPL shareholders, Apple enthusiasts, and AI's boards.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. He referenced new products and surprises. Nothing about product updates. So new laptops, the updated Pro etc could still be coming out. This fall stuff could be simply the same iOS/iPhone/iPad with some new iTunes treats like revamped video encodes, whatever iRadio turns out to be etc. after all he also say 'services'
  • Reply 105 of 156
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MacTel View Post

If it is true that a majority of the product roll-outs won't happen until Fall (we're already well near May) then that's for one of three reasons.

1) Apple can't keep up with demand of their existing products so there isn't a need to refresh quite yet.

2) Manufacurer difficulties.

3) There's major OS changes coming that must be released prior to the hardware rollouts.

With WWDC coming soon we will find out whether #3 is correct which I expect is the real reason.

Apparently everyone has forgotten TC's comments about your #3.  I'd rather see a 18 month lull in hardware in favor of updated Software and Services.  This is really where Apple need to the most focus.  Too many hardware updates, too soon.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/12/tim-cook-talks-up-apple-software-and-services-we-are-not-a-hardware-company/

• Reply 106 of 156
    Cook is making the big mistake of caring what investors think. Cook is taking SJ's final words to him "Don't ask, "What would Steve do"?" too seriously. SJ would say, ignore Wall Street. Cook and the other boys ask what would Steve do. SJ would be right.

Not really. If he actually cared he'd be giving them the answers they have been demanding for ages. Telling them the release schedule, what's in the labs, designing what they want to see. The earnings announcement is required by law, Tim just gives a free careful answers to help explain why they give the guidance they do so folks don't run to sell their stock. But otherwise he ignores them and their demands for details
  • Reply 107 of 156
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sumergo wrote: »
    Sure.  Apple will never be top-of-the-hill forever, but I'm not getting who the "they" is that "might not be able to dethrone Apple they can chip away at their earnings".

My point is - why do (so-called, in their own mind) financial wizards like to put down such a successful American company?

Right now Samsung is the 'threat', but you're right Apple does seem to be like Rodney Dangerfield, no respect. Why is that? I'm equally baffled.
  • Reply 108 of 156
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »
    My two cents... I'm disappointed that Apple doesn't appear to have anything for the next 5-6 months that could be a game changer, because that is the only way the stock could get back to $600.

Something tells me that they don't care about that. Apple doesn't design to raise the stock price anymore than they do to make the analysts happy. If the price goes up because they released what they want, when they want, awesome. If not, oh well
  • Reply 109 of 156
    aaarrrgggh wrote: »

As someone else said in another thread, the iMacs should have been updated six months earlier with a speed bump only,

They tried that with the Mac Pro and have been creamed over it. Doubt doing it for the iMac would have gone over any better. Especially if the new form was a mere 6-9 months later.
  • Reply 110 of 156
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    Whatever happened to the incremental updates of iOS? New features used to be added several times a year.
    Forstall being fired and the shifting of duties between Craig and Jony?
  • Reply 111 of 156
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,408member

Quote:

Originally Posted by drblank View Post

The dilemma is that Apple can't put out products as quickly as you, I, or Wall Street wants because Apple, like everyone else, has to wait for Intel or some other technology that comes from a variety of component mfg to be released and in high enough quantities to be able to have a successful launch.

[big list of stuff]

A million times, THIS. All the comments and articles and such clamoring for Apple Product X Right Now™ seem to completely ignore all of these factors. New Xeon chipsets are needed for Thunderbolt in Mac Pros, which is totally dependent on Intel's roadmap. ac chips for all wireless products, so on.

Remember kids, the future is here tomorrow! :)

• Reply 112 of 156
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

N/M

• Reply 113 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

I'm not sure how you could backup that statement given the late six months. Adding no new product releases for at least another 4-5 months. I would say anantksundaram nailed it, it's going to be a long hard summer for AAPL shareholders.

Not if you sit on it and be patient.

The stock, I mean.

• Reply 114 of 156
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

"revenue is falling off a cliff"

?

By gaining YoY?

The results for the three-month period ended March 30, 2013: record second quarter sales of $43.6 billion, compared to revenue of $39.2 billion YoY.

As to the "this Fall" business? He clearly stated "surprises" which leaves a lot of room for new products that are extensions of the current lines, new iPad mini, new iPad, new iPhone 5s (that will, amongst other things, be China Mobile LTE compatible for the first time) etc. etc.

• Reply 115 of 156
    Where's that impliable?

… Implicable. Im… How d'ya figure?

I have psychic powers. For example, I am sensing... you have doubts about my claim. Proof that I have psychic powers. Thank you, folks, I'll be here all week.
  • Reply 116 of 156
    jdnc123jdnc123 Posts: 233member

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Apparently everyone has forgotten TC's comments about your #3.  I'd rather see a 18 month lull in hardware in favor of updated Software and Services.  This is really where Apple need to the most focus.  Too many hardware updates, too soon.

http://techcrunch.com/2013/02/12/tim-cook-talks-up-apple-software-and-services-we-are-not-a-hardware-company/

I think this is what is happening.  The iOS7 update is pushing all the hardware back.  Software is where the wow factor needs to be.  Another sign that things were stagnating under Forstall and that it will take some time to right the ship.  I have to also imagine they know the damage is much worse to roll things out too soon and have another maps-like debacle vs simply waiting another -23 months from the original timeline.  You don't need to be a genius to have the opinion something happened.....nobody running any company would want to put all their eggs in one basket like this.

Really going to be interesting if S4 sells at 10 million units a month as has been speculated while Apple forecast implies ~25 million iPhones in the quarter, lets say 50/50 5 vs 4s.  Given the S4 competes head on with iP5, they could outsell Apple in the global high-end handset market nearly 3-to-1 over the next two quarters.  Meanwhile Goldman called the 5S "dead on arrival" if not a larger screen, which means its DOA in their opinion.  Cook needs something dramatic on the software side with the 5S or Apple could quickly lose high end market share (they are already losing overall market share).  As sad as it is to 'wow' the general public with something as simple as a bigger screen, I think if they had one, they'd be on cruise control for another year or two simply via upgrades.

Just my 2 cts

• Reply 117 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Yes please. I'm hoping 10.9 is a major cleanup of Lion/ML for bugs and optimization, along with new features or a smarter Finder, smarter iCloud implementation, etc. Getting battery life back to Snow Leopard levels from where it is with Mountain Lion would be a good start. 

iOS7 ... well, people have plenty of requests there. I want simple things like collapsable IMAP folders in Mail. :)  And for Siri to understand what the hell I'm talking about. :)

• Reply 118 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

I think this is what is happening.  The iOS7 update is pushing all the hardware back.  Software is where the wow factor needs to be.  Another sign that things were stagnating under Forstall and that it will take some time to right the ship.  I have to also imagine they know the damage is much worse to roll things out too soon and have another maps-like debacle vs simply waiting another -23 months from the original timeline. 

Forstall is kicking himself for spending so much time on that shredder animation in Passbook he was so proud of.

• Reply 119 of 156

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdnc123 View Post

Meanwhile Goldman called the 5S "dead on arrival" if not a larger screen, which means its DOA in their opinion.  .....

Just my 2 cts

And you think that Goldman's views on Apple -- and specifically, on the issue of screen size -- are worth even 2¢ how?

• Reply 120 of 156
    tribalogicaltribalogical Posts: 1,182member
    Aw, poor disappointed Wall Street... now, where was I? Oh yeah, making plans for purchasing a new iPhone 5 and iPad Mini... sweet.