Apple's MacBook Pro named 'Best Performing Windows Laptop' by IT company

Posted:
in Current Mac Hardware edited January 2014
According to PC management services company Soluto, "in the field" testing has revealed an Apple-built laptop to be the number one performing Windows machine as of April 2013, despite not being optimized for the operating system.

In its first ever report, Soluto (via CNET) looked at long term analysis of a "huge number" of PCs, gleaning data from application crashes, freezes, long boot-ups and other general computing slow-downs in what it called "frustration analytics," and found Apple's 13-inch MacBook Pro to be the best Windows laptop available.

Soluto
Source: Soluto

Along with taking the top spot, another Apple machine, the 15-inch Retina display MacBook Pro, came in at number six, behind PCs from Acer and Dell. Acer's $429 Aspire E1-571 came in second, while Dell's sub-$1000 XPS13 followed in third place.

From Soluto's report:
The MacBook Pro is the most expensive PC among the top 3, but if you?re looking for top reliability - the data is clear. MacBook Pro is the best Windows PC on the market.
The report notes that comparing a Windows install on a MacBook Pro with one from Acer or Dell is a bit unfair, as Apple's version is "clean," or devoid of bloatware usually pre-loaded by PC OEMs. The company points out that a future analysis will take this discrepancy into account, but for now the "frustration" data looks to highlight real life use, not lab testing.

While nabbing first place, the 13-inch MacBook Pro did have some downsides, like the need to purchase and install Windows through Bootcamp or third-party PC virtualization software like Parallels. Also, the Mac's keyboard is not mapped specifically for Microsoft's OS and drivers could be an issue for some users.

For its sample, the firm used data from 150,000 laptops over a three month period from January to April, analyzing "application crashes, application hangs, blue-screens-of-death, boot time and number of background processes" to generate a comparison that it says yields a "real user experience."

Comments

• Reply 1 of 74
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

????

But 2.05 crashes a week on the 15" retina? What're they doing to it?

• Reply 2 of 74
    jimdreamworxjimdreamworx Posts: 1,095member
    A Windows install devoid of bloatware?

So in other words, when you buy anything else, you are paying for an OS with advertising?
  • Reply 3 of 74
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Been telling everyone for ages that.  My MBA is the best Windows laptop I've had ever.  I'm running mine using Vmware, but nonetheless I am done with the crap the others have been coming out with.

I'm currently setting up a 13"rMBP with Vmware/Windows7  (with Thunderbolt display) for our vice president after he looked at my setup and decided his time was worth more than babysitting a wintel setup.  

• Reply 4 of 74
    ajbdtc826ajbdtc826 Posts: 190member
    This is no joke. Like 90% of the people I've showed this to didn't even know u can run Windows on a Mac. They should run an ad like "Pay $500 for a laptop running Windows. Or buy a Mac for $1000 and have Windows run *correctly*"
  • Reply 5 of 74
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimDreamworx View Post

A Windows install devoid of bloatware?

So in other words, when you buy anything else, you are paying for an OS with advertising?

Apparently.

How else can Dell, HP, ASUS, etc. make any money?  They all drop their drawers on price for the hardware.

• Reply 6 of 74
    ochymingochyming Posts: 474member

Quote:

Originally Posted by AjbDtc826 View Post

This is no joke. Like 90% of the people I've showed this to didn't even know u can run Windows on a Mac. They should run an ad like "Pay $500 for a laptop running Windows. Or buy a Mac for $1000 and have Windows run *correctly*"

Many art school and creative studios already know this.

The IT guy/gal at a neighboring office building also knows this, but he/she will not say anything.

• Reply 7 of 74
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    ajbdtc826 wrote: »

I am a long time PC user. I switched to Mac with the MacBook Pro. I am finishing my engineering degree, so I am no stranger to PCs. I have been using and fixing them since I was a kid. (Although I'm mechanical). I wouldn't say the pro runs windows better than a comparable laptop. The article is misleading. I didn't read the whole thing but scanning seems to show that several of the PCs are in the sub-1000 range. I don't see how you can compare the two. Of course a cheaper PC will feel like a... Cheaper PC. I have the 15 retina and for the first 4-6 months it would get the blue screen under windows about once every 1-2 weeks. More this any PC I have ever owned. I don't use it for games but engineering simulations can be intense, however, usually it didn't crash until it was coming out of sleep mode. Haven't had a problem since the new firmware update (I neglected to update for a few months because of the performance drop).

The only problem with windows? Battery power. Windows run the main GPU ALL the time. It takes 1-2 hours off the battery life. If I turn my brightness to low and the PC is relatively idle. I'll see maybe 5.5 hours. While under OSX 10.5 hours. I understand windows will never run so efficient. But Apple really needs to bring that intel GPU online with a driver and firmware correction. I could actually see 7 hours under idle conditions.

All of that said, I love my MacBook retina and after upgrading from a 2006 dell this past September. It is an incredible price of art. Macs are not for engineering yet but it is by far the fastest at any simulation that I've seen yet.

I know Mac rules the arts world though.
  • Reply 8 of 74
    runbuhrunbuh Posts: 315member

Make the trackpad drivers not suck under Bootcamp and Windows 7, and you'd have a true winner.

I wonder if they tested the other machines using a bloat-free image built from the ground up.  Load the OS from scratch, without the crap, and most laptops run great.

• Reply 9 of 74
    macrulezmacrulez Posts: 2,455member

deleted

• Reply 10 of 74
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,093member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ochyming View Post

Many art school and creative studios already know this.

The IT guy/gal at a neighboring office building also knows this, but he/she will not say anything.

I'm in I.T., and our network administrator is not a happy camper that I'm convincing people here at this company to use Apple machines.  He refuses to assist and offer support.  I am the one that supports them.  Meaning, once I have the machines configured they never need my support.  The happiest users are the ones using Apple machines.  The admin, along with his assistant do nothing but run around trying to keep the regular Wintel machines from blowing up.  So sad.

The admin has always known that Apple machines could run windows, but he hates Apple to the nth-degree and always says downright false claims of the abilities of these machines.

• Reply 11 of 74
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    I used to work in I.T.

But then I saw the iPad in 2010 and was so impressed that I got one.

I was so impressed with the iPad that I soon got an IPhone.

I was so impressed with the iPhone that I then got an MBA.

I won't use the word impressive again to describe how impressive the MBA was. That would be repetitive.

I've been using these three types of devices for over three years now and, when I look back on the fifteen years I've spent providing support in I.T. I kick myself. Hard.

My experiences with Apple has since caused me to quit the I.T. Industry altogether. I just can't be bothered mucking around with that PC bullshit anymore.

There are just better things to do with your life.

Thank you, Steve, and thank you to all the brilliant people at Apple for making my life better, and making me Think Different.
  • Reply 12 of 74
    drblank wrote: »
    How else can Dell, HP, ASUS, etc. make any money?  They all drop their drawers on price for the hardware.

You're basically saying that these computer companies don't make any money by selling computers.

Wow... then they should get out of the fucking game RIGHT NOW

If I download a FREE piece of software and it has some advertising in it.... fine.

But if I BUY a laptop from Dell... I should not have to be inundated by adware and other junk because Dell doesn't understand margins.

I'm sorry the Windows PC business has become commoditized... but that's business. Including an AOL trial should not be the answer.
  • Reply 13 of 74
    bunlobunlo Posts: 28member
    I am IT Admin, my boss is using Windows on MBP (XP to be exact), but still he is not convinced to switch 40 client machines to MAC, or at least MAC MINI on bootcamp Windows, he still thinks MAC is a TOY. on the other hand, he wanted iPad as presentation display for customers, but he thinks iPad is too small, and looking for something like 17" display. Well, all I can say is I am lucky that still keeping myself at work, because if my boss listen to my suggestion, I should be out of job by now.
  • Reply 14 of 74
    enzosenzos Posts: 344member
    Hah! That's the exact model I suggested my sister buy to replace her creaking Asus piece of plastic 6 months ago. She doesn't run Windows on it though, just the latest MacOS.

I've a 13" MB Air that runs Win7 faultlessly in VMWare (4 and now 5).
  • Reply 15 of 74
    captain jcaptain j Posts: 313member
    macrulez wrote: »

True, but the most interesting thing about Soluto's results was the price/performance ratio:  the second-best performer was only behind by 0.07 on the Soluto score, but cost just a tad over 1/3 the price.

Yep, noticed that too. Also how much worse the MB retina was than the legacy model.
  • Reply 16 of 74
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,897member

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

I'm in I.T., and our network administrator is not a happy camper that I'm convincing people here at this company to use Apple machines.  He refuses to assist and offer support.  I am the one that supports them.  Meaning, once I have the machines configured they never need my support.  The happiest users are the ones using Apple machines.  The admin, along with his assistant do nothing but run around trying to keep the regular Wintel machines from blowing up.  So sad.

The admin has always known that Apple machines could run windows, but he hates Apple to the nth-degree and always says downright false claims of the abilities of these machines.

Can't tell you how many times I have heard this story.  Hell I have lived this story.  Fought with the company IT guy and even the owners of the company on the whole Mac vs. PC B.S.  We were a video post house for cryin' out corn and they wanted us to use Windows!  FCP don't do Windows.

Interestingly the company just went of out business yesterday and I am now looking for work.  Know anyone in Austin who needs an operations/IT person who specializes in Macs?  P.M. me if you have any leads.  Thanks.

• Reply 17 of 74
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    Now if i was apple... I would make a billboards out of this report!
    Amazing and yet there are so many ihaters that will not give up.....
  • Reply 18 of 74
    isaidsoisaidso Posts: 750member

Quote:

Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflocal View Post

Can't tell you how many times I have heard this story.  Hell I have lived this story.  Fought with the company IT guy and even the owners of the company on the whole Mac vs. PC B.S.  We were a video post house for cryin' out corn and they wanted us to use Windows!  FCP don't do Windows.

Interestingly the company just went of out business yesterday and I am now looking for work.  Know anyone in Austin who needs an operations/IT person who specializes in Macs?  P.M. me if you have any leads.  Thanks.

Ha! That's the conundrum. Harder and harder to find work as a Mac specialized IT professional these days.

Nobody needs you. There just isn't much to do.

• Reply 19 of 74
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

Quote:

Originally Posted by bunlo View Post

I am IT Admin, my boss is using Windows on MBP (XP to be exact), but still he is not convinced to switch 40 client machines to MAC, or at least MAC MINI on bootcamp Windows, he still thinks MAC is a TOY. on the other hand, he wanted iPad as presentation display for customers, but he thinks iPad is too small, and looking for something like 17" display. Well, all I can say is I am lucky that still keeping myself at work, because if my boss listen to my suggestion, I should be out of job by now.

40 users?  That doesn't sound like a very big company.  Go look for a better job with a boss that is a little more open minded.  I hate to say it, but IT people don't always make the best BUSINESS decisions since they aren't trained to do so, they make technical decisions but don't always look at the business side of things because that isn't how they are trained.   I've run into my share of IT people and they are typically VERY close minded to learning something new when it comes to one OS versus another.  Usually because they got too married to one OS (typically WIndows), they are usually afraid to admit that OS X is NOT even close to what Apple USED to be.  Times have changed, but some of these IT people are too stubborn to look at an alternative, because that involves them WORKING and having to get retrained.

I talked to a auto dealership (3 showrooms, 4 service centers) that got off Dells and switched to Macs, iPads, iPhones, and the still use Windows only because there is ONE legacy app that they have to run (but I think it's a terminal emulator and they haven't looked into finding a suitable terminal emulator), and they can't say how much better they are because of the switch.  I talked to just one of the sales reps how he liked it and the guy was beaming.  he said it was the best decision they ever made and they won't even consider going back to Windows.  Their systems are up and running much more than the Dells they use to have, they love the whole Apple Mac, iPad, iPhone experience and the employees are mostly happy campers and they seem to do their jobs much better as a result.

• Reply 20 of 74

I'm guessing that Mac users also install less Windows software on their computers and probably don't download much if any free Windows software that may contain malware.