Office for MAC or windows Office

Posted:
in Mac Software edited January 2014

Hello,

I purchased a great new macbook pro 13" with retina display and installed parallel and windows 7 as need it unfortunately for some applications. Q I have now is the following as I want to purchase office; should I purchase office for MAC or office for Windows.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Get Office for Mac. You don't want to have to be opening Parallels every time you get a Word document or spreadsheet emailed to you.
  • Reply 2 of 6

Makes sense, but with office 365 with 5 available installs could I than install on both MAC and Windows or does that not make sense?

• Reply 3 of 6
    mr. memr. me Posts: 3,221member

So what you are saying is that you want to install Office for Windows?

• Reply 4 of 6
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    saudiben wrote: »
    Makes sense, but with office 365 with 5 available installs could I than install on both MAC and Windows or does that not make sense?

Office 365 is a good option as you can even let other family members use the same subscription but I don't think you need to install Office in Parallels at all. Maybe for the odd spreadsheet with a macro or some other document that's incompatible with the Mac version but you should find the Mac version is compatible with the vast majority of Office documents and it's better to use it primarily with your main OS.
  • Reply 5 of 6
    mikeb85mikeb85 Posts: 506member

If it's just for personal use, get LibreOffice (it's free, open-source, and suitable for most needs).  If you have an actual need for MS Office, use Office 365 or buy it for Mac.  

• Reply 6 of 6

Using office 365 on this and other laptops and works great, tx for getting back to me.