Nokia teases unveiling of new Lumia Windows Phone at May 14 event

Posted:
in iPhone edited January 2014
Nokia is expected to unveil its response to Apple's iPhone 5 at a newly announced Lumia smartphone media event set for May 14 in London.

The Finnish handset maker sent out invitations to its event on Thursday, according to TechnoBuffalo, in which the company promised the "Nokia Lumia story" will continue. Members of the press have been invited to "see what's next," and the invitations have fueled speculation that the company may unveil its awaited Lumia 928 or Lumia EOS premium smartphones.

Nokia
Nokia's current Lumia 920 (left) and Lumia 820 (right).

Nokia's unannounced Lumia EOS and Lumia 928 have been poorly kept secrets. Recent reports pegging the still-rumored Lumia 928 for launch next month on U.S. carrier Verizon, while details on the Lumia EOS have been less concrete.

The Lumia 928 is said to have a metal body with a 4.5-inch touchscreen, 8-megapixel camera, and wireless charging capabilities. The Lumia EOS is said to be a PureView Windows Phone with a whopping 41-megapixel camera.

Last September, before Apple unveiled the iPhone 5, Nokia took the wraps off its current flagship smartphone, the Lumia 920. The company has since announced low-end Lumia devices intended for emerging markets, but has not announced a new premium Windows Phone that will presumably serve as Nokia's response to the iPhone 5.

Nokia CEO Stephen Elop was questioned about rumors of the Lumia 928 in an interview last month, but he declined to give any details. While Elop participated to promote Nokia's new entry-level Lumia handsets, the TV segment instead gained attention because the CEO threw the interviewer's iPhone on the floor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 35
    gwmacgwmac Posts: 1,807member
    In their glory days Nokia was famous for having the best camera on any phone. Perhaps they want to use the camera to stand out from the crowd. Before all the "MP don't matter" crowd shows up, I know that. I am not talking simply about pure megapixels but other factors as well that the respected photography sites use to judge and compare cameras and the quality of images.
  • Reply 2 of 35
    monstrositymonstrosity Posts: 2,234member

The anticipation is killing me.

• Reply 3 of 35
    igrivigriv Posts: 1,177member

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

In their glory days Nokia was famous for having the best camera on any phone. Perhaps they want to use the camera to stand out from the crowd. Before all the "MP don't matter" crowd shows up, I know that. I am not talking simply about pure megapixels but other factors as well that you photography sites use to judge and compare cameras and the quality of images.

Past reviews of their 41MP camera phone claimed that it was DSLR quality (also produced a hump on back of device, but small price to pay, I guess...)

• Reply 4 of 35

I take a lot of photos with my iPhone. I have a really nice Canon but it never gets used anymore. My phone is always with me but I have to remember to charge the camera battery and take it with me and many times you don't know when you will need a camera unless of course you are on vacation or some other special occasion. I wouldn't mind a hump on the back of the phone  if it meant far better photos. I realize I am probably in the minority with that but that option would appeal to me. 

• Reply 5 of 35
    drblankdrblank Posts: 3,385member

I don't think too many people care what Nokia is doing anymore.  They certainly aren't selling many Windows phones.

• Reply 6 of 35

Poor Nokia. Trying hard.

• Reply 7 of 35
    The problem with 41MP photos is the size of each image. And most of the photos we take with our phones don't really need that quality or deserve that much of our storage. I suppose it's useful if its easy to select image resolution.
  • Reply 8 of 35
    Nokia should have gone the Samsung route and made decent-ish hardware running whatever OS consumers want to buy when they can't afford an iPhone. A Lumia running Andriod would sell a lot better than a Lumia running Windows phone.
  • Reply 9 of 35
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

While Elop participated to promote Nokia's new entry-level Lumia handsets, the TV segment instead gained attention because the CEO threw the interviewer's iPhone on the floor.

Stress getting to ya there Stevie old boy?

Come on!  Where's your "sisu"?

• Reply 10 of 35
    jdsonicejdsonice Posts: 156member
    Hum! In competition to iPhone5? Did someone tell these folks that iPhone5 is almost a year old and soon going to be replaced by a newer version?

A lot late and lot lot less.
  • Reply 11 of 35
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jdsonice View Post

Hum! In competition to iPhone5? Did someone tell these folks that iPhone5 is almost a year old and soon going to be replaced by a newer version?

Six months.

• Reply 12 of 35
    pedromartinspedromartins Posts: 1,333member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Six months.

And the best phone money can buy.

• Reply 13 of 35
    seankillseankill Posts: 566member
    Six months.

I agree a year is a bit exaggerated. But my iPhone 5 is over 7 months old now. By the time they announce this new phone, it'll be 8 months and probably closing on 8.5+ by the time the phone is released. Hard to stay in business when you are so far behind.

I'd really like apple to shake up the industry though. In my opinion, the smartphones haven't really taken a big step since the iPhone 4. Everything else is just cool stuff or worthless, nothing that I would say is truly amazing. I understand these companies can't constantly revolutionize phones yearly. But I'm sick of samsung and want to see something that'd hurt them.
  • Reply 14 of 35

I have a feeling Nokia will have no choice but to eventually also offer their phones with an Android version as well. Windows phones just will not gain any traction. If this Lumia 928 were running Android I could see it stealing some sales from the Galaxy S4. 

• Reply 15 of 35
    rot'napplerot'napple Posts: 1,839member

Wonder if Elop performs similar quality control by throwing his Nokia Lumia phone on the floor to see what happens?

• Reply 16 of 35
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattBookAir View Post

The problem with 41MP photos is the size of each image. And most of the photos we take with our phones don't really need that quality or deserve that much of our storage. I suppose it's useful if its easy to select image resolution.

Because shitty, blurry photos that will be posted to facebook will look so much better at 41MP. 

Fact is, 99.999% of photos are not deserving of that resolution. And those that are (ie. pro photos) should not be taken with a camera phone in the first place. 

• Reply 17 of 35
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,757member

I doubt that the solution to Windows Phone's problem of zero traction in the market since 2010, is the introduction of more of the same things that consumers aren't interested in buying. 

• Reply 18 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Because shitty, blurry photos that will be posted to facebook will look so much better at 41MP. 

Fact is, 99.999% of photos are not deserving of that resolution. And those that are (ie. pro photos) should not be taken with a camera phone in the first place. 

It's likely that the camera will not output the high resolution images unless specifically configured to by the user. The high MP count is geared more towards improving lower resolution images.

• Reply 19 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwmac View Post

I have a feeling Nokia will have no choice but to eventually also offer their phones with an Android version as well. Windows phones just will not gain any traction. If this Lumia 928 were running Android I could see it stealing some sales from the Galaxy S4. 

Almost no one is making money on Android phones. Samsung. That's it. Windows Phone was the right decision for Nokia. My opinion is that Nokia may very well have been dead had they chosen another route.

• Reply 20 of 35

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

I agree that 41MP would take up a lot of space and also not guarantee a really clear photo. But I think smart phones have now matured to the point in other specs that the quality of the camera and photos will be a big differentiating factor to set smart phones apart. I can't imagine Apple ever adding a bulky hump on the rear to really compete with a decent quality CCD instead of a CMOS sensor.

This is just a cheap and older phone that I think came out 2 years ago but it takes some really amazing photos for a phone because it has a CCD and keeps the size at only 16MP. 

http://mb.softbank.jp/en/products/sharp/007sh.html