Apple immediately sells out of WWDC 2013 tickets

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,717member

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

This will be answered countless times, but...

Its because the constraining factor is not the size of the venue, but the number of Apple developers available. The AppleDevelopers/Attendees ratio.

Expanding the event to a point where each Apple body is overwhelmed by hundreds of attendees makes the event pointless.

So have one week for OS X and one week for iOS.  Obviously, the iOS week would likely be overloaded as compared to the OS X week, but at least it creates some separation.

And yeah, regional events, or even just one event for the west coast and one for the east coast is another option.  Though I get the fact that it's easier to run them in SF because it's less travel and time away for the engineers.  So even two events in SF.

• Reply 22 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by vexorg View Post

i'm not sure how, but I 'm sure that this will be proof positive in some circles that developers are abandoning the iOS and OSX in droves ;-)

Perhaps because they can't get tickets to WWDC and so there's no connections being made with Apple. image

• Reply 23 of 86
    beltsbearbeltsbear Posts: 314member
    One of the problems is that there are too many people who go to the event for the scoop on Apple products and announcements. They are mostly reporters who come in as developers and while they may have some background they are not true developers.

Apple needs a bigger venue and needs to have more options for reporters at the event, or move the product announcements to a more open larger venue.
  • Reply 24 of 86
    Am I the only one that's intrigued by the design of the conference logo? Both the colours and the fonts seem quite a lot different from things we've seen in the past.

On that vein, I'm really quite excited to see what Johnny Ive's iOS and OS X look like? Will this be the beginning of a new era for Apple or can we expect more of the same?
  • Reply 25 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by jonvdveen View Post

Both the colours and the fonts seem quite a lot different from things we've seen in the past.

It's last year's invite with the squares superimposed.

• Reply 26 of 86
    zoffdinozoffdino Posts: 192member

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeltsBear View Post

One of the problems is that there are too many people who go to the event for the scoop on Apple products and announcements. They are mostly reporters who come in as developers and while they may have some background they are not true developers.

Apple needs a bigger venue and needs to have more options for reporters at the event, or move the product announcements to a more open larger venue.

The keynote is the only part of WWDC that is public. It takes place on the first day and lasts 2 hours, with media invitations sent out, etc. The theatre where the keynote takes place doesn’t have enough seats for all ticket holders so it’s on a first-come, first-serve basis. After that, the ticket holders are free to go to whatever sessions they want.

So… the reports do come to WWDC, but they don’t need tickets, and they aren’t going to seat in those technical sessions. Ask for having larger venues: Apple may not have enough engineers to lead all those sessions. But I look forward to the day when I can descend into the spaceship to attend the keynote into the middle of garden.

• Reply 27 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    I feel bad for all those that tried to purchase access right at 10am PT.
    slurpy wrote: »
    WWDC 2010: 8 days
    WWDC 2011: 12 hrs
    WWDC 2012: 2 hrs
    WWDC 2013: 2 min

Holy fucking shit. 

2010 = 691,200s
    2011 = 43,200s
    2012 = 7,200s
    2013 = 120s

Anyone want to chart this and find out in how many milliseconds it will sell out in 2014?
  • Reply 28 of 86
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

Yes. But considering that iOS 7 is behind schedule, they wouldn't want to send too many on extended 'vacation'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[citation needed]

Somehow I don't think you'll be getting one.

• Reply 29 of 86
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

WWDC 2010: 8 days

WWDC 2011: 12 hrs

WWDC 2012: 2 hrs

WWDC 2013: 2 min

Holy fucking shit. 

What are these developers thinking anyway? Why attend a developer's conference of a company on its way out? Why develop for a dead platform? ¡¡¡

• Reply 30 of 86
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    Tickets for Apple's annual Worldwide Developers Conference sold out in a matter of seconds after they went on sale on Thursday, marking the fastest sell-out in WWDC history.

Clearly another example of their artificial supply constraints designed to enhance the hype. It's absolutely not possible when the sky is obviously falling that people would be interested in what Apple is currently doing with such poor management and lack of innovation since the last innovation (which wasn't in the last 5 minutes so not worth considering).
  • Reply 31 of 86
    ktappektappe Posts: 823member

Quote:

Originally Posted by lkrupp View Post

Somehow I don't think you'll be getting one.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/04/rumors-swirl-about-ios-7-delays-ui-overhauls-and-more/

• Reply 32 of 86
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    kozchris wrote: »

I wonder how many tickets go to reporters just trying to get into the keynote.

None. Reporters are invited separately for the keynote.

As for the virtual idea, I agree. Ciscos web meeting software works on Mac and iOS so they could use that or something similar. I used it on the iPad for a meeting with our London office and even set it so they could only type questions to avoid folks talking over each other. It was pretty easy.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    12/192hour = 0.0625

Don't even blink next year...
  • Reply 34 of 86

Not sure if this has been raised herein, but I feel rather confident that the logo of WWDC-MMXIII tips us off on what to expect from Jony Ive's redesign of iOS's look and feel. This isn't the first time Apple has used an invitation to give somewhat cryptic clues. Furthermore, the design of this logo is markedly different from the past, fitting in with what is allegedly happening behind the scenes. As someone who considers Ive a virtual mentor, I can't wait to savor what is waiting us in less than two months.

• Reply 35 of 86
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by StruckPaper View Post

Not sure if this has been raised herein, but I feel rather confident that the logo of WWDC-MMXIII tips us off on what to expect from Jony Ive's redesign of iOS's look and feel. This isn't the first time Apple has used an invitation to give somewhat cryptic clues. Furthermore, the design of this logo is markedly different from the past, fitting in with what is allegedly happening behind the scenes. As someone who considers Ive a virtual mentor, I can't wait to savor what is waiting us in less than two months.

Interesting thought. Makes sense, too. And there's history to back it up. Hope you are right.

• Reply 36 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by taciolobo View Post

12/192hour = 0.0625

2/12hours = 0.1666

2/120min = 0.1666

X/120sec = 0.1666 => X= 2 sec

Don't even blink next year...

I've already started designing my robot.

• Reply 37 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

It MUST be true, then!¡ image

• Reply 38 of 86
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member
    I don't what to the solution is really. Separate events for Europe and Asia would be great but, as other people have mentioned, what developers want is access to the developers. More events = less time developing the next iterations of iOS and OSX. Bigger event = less time with the developers.

Maybe hold separate OSX and iOS events? That seems a shame when there's so much overlap these days.
  • Reply 39 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    richl wrote: »
    I don't what to the solution is really. Separate events for Europe and Asia would be great but, as other people have mentioned, what developers want is access to the developers. More events = less time developing the next iterations of iOS and OSX. Bigger event = less time with the developers.

Maybe hold separate OSX and iOS events? That seems a shame when there's so much overlap these days.

1) I think the overlap is great. iOS came from Mac OS, and Mac OS has been made much better from things learned by developing efficient frameworks and engines for iOS.

2) I'd love for them to offer more event, events in larger venues, etc., but we need to remember that Apple uses their own engineers for this which pretty much means their home campus is running on a skeleton crew for the week. I can't imagine if these engineers had to do this several weeks a year across the world. They could hire people that specifically just do the training for developers or use underlining within a department but then you're getting the best possible training available. They post the videos online fast enough that I think the way they do it now is better than other suggestions I've seen (which include anything I've stated int the past).
  • Reply 40 of 86
    Apple should do what Microsoft does: have regional training offices, have training sessions through out the year, and have full-time training engineers.

Apple developers are approaching the number of MS developers. Apple should scale its training/development department.