Apple immediately sells out of WWDC 2013 tickets

Comments

• Reply 41 of 86
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

It strikes me that a lottery is the probably the most likely solution if Apple thinks it's actually a problem.

Large dev houses have access in other ways than just WWDC.  

Key devs in areas Apple cares about have access in other ways than just WWDC.

So it's really just the masses that scramble for WWDC.  Its fun to do but if you didn't get a ticket it's not like you're suddenly at some additional huge disadvantage.

• Reply 42 of 86
    stelligentstelligent Posts: 2,680member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

[citation needed]

Needed? Why do people around here toss around citations as if this is a peer-reviewed, rigorous medium? People seem to demand "citation" when they feel the impulse to challenge something but do not have proper reason for doing so.

Most of the time, the citations provided barely support the arguments posited. But most are too lazy to read beyond headlines. In another common scenario, people here cite analysts that they trash in a different thread. Then explosive fights ensue when neither party knows what they are talking about.

So, NO, citation unneeded. You don't want to believe me? Big deal. Don't give a care. But if you ask respectfully out of genuine curiosity and desire to learn, I might explain how I came by that observation. If you don't really want to know, it's no sweat off my back.

• Reply 43 of 86
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

So, NO, citation unneeded.

You stated it as fact. Citation needed.

• Reply 44 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by auxio View Post

Absolutely ridiculous.  I had a ticket in my cart at 1 minute after the hour, went to checkout, it asked for yet another login at checkout, and then wouldn't let me press Sign In or Enter or Continue As Guest.  My only option was to Cancel and try to add the ticket again (this was at 2 minutes after the hour), but it was already sold out at that point.

Frustrating? Yes. 

Ridiculous? No.

You clearly have not tried to purchase concert tickets for your teenager daughter's fav pop star recently. At least you don't have to confront your daughter with the news and see the disappointment in her eyes.

• Reply 45 of 86

Quote:

You stated it as fact. Citation needed.

Nope.

If you are stating the need for a citation as fact, then provide a proper citation to prove it. We can go in circles all day if you like. Or you can ask nicely as I have prescribed. Or leave me alone.

• Reply 46 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stelligent wrote: »
    Needed? Why do people around here toss around citations as if this is a peer-reviewed, rigorous medium? People seem to demand "citation" when they feel the impulse to challenge something but do not have proper reason for doing so.

Most of the time, the citations provided barely support the arguments posited. But most are too lazy to read beyond headlines. Then explosive fights ensue when neither party knows what they are talking about.

So, NO, citation unneeded. You don't want to believe me? Big deal. Don't give a care. But if you ask respectfully out of genuine curiosity and desire to learn, I will explain how I came by that observation. 

If you want your statement to be seen as reasonable or legitimate then you certainly do need to back up items you state as factual with some sort of evidence to show how and/or why you have to come to this conclusion.

I certainly can't see how one can say iOS 7 is behind schedule. We're not even close to being past the typical yearly release date, but if we were, that would then just be an opinion as to why you think it's delayed even though it could be how they planned it.

If you have an argument then state it to support your comment otherwise you're just wasting yours and everyone else's time who come here for intelligent and thought provoking dialogue.
  • Reply 47 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

It strikes me that a lottery is the probably the most likely solution if Apple thinks it's actually a problem.

Large dev houses have access in other ways than just WWDC.  

Key devs in areas Apple cares about have access in other ways than just WWDC.

So it's really just the masses that scramble for WWDC.  Its fun to do but if you didn't get a ticket it's not like you're suddenly at some additional huge disadvantage.

Perhaps not a huge disadvantage. But I can tell you from first hand experience that being able to talk to an Apple developer really opens your eyes. In the rare instance, you might make a friend who will provide the odd insight that becomes a real ongoing advantage.

• Reply 48 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If you want your statement to be seen as reasonable or legitimate then you certainly do need to back up items you state as factual with some sort of evidence to show how and/or why you have to come to this conclusion.

I certainly can't see how one can say iOS 7 is behind schedule. We're not even close to being past the typical yearly release date, but if we were, that would then just be an opinion as to why you think it's delayed even though it could be how they planned it.

If you have an argument then state it to support your comment otherwise you're just wasting yours and everyone else's time who come here for intelligent and thought provoking dialogue.

What is this nonsense about "need"? This demand itself is a waste of time (yours and mine, but perhaps not of Tallest because he does nothing but badger people here anyhow). I let my words speak for me.

If you deem me unintelligent and unprovocative, then ignore me. If you think my track record is such that my words are not worth a damn without a citation, then don't trust me.

But if you think that perhaps there is veracity in what I wrote and are interested in my "source" or "inspiration", then ask in that vein instead of demanding a citation (as TS did) as if this place is a monument of rigorous debate, or offering some condescending, time-wasting, hypocritical lecture on why a citation is needed when it clearly is not.

• Reply 49 of 86

Nope.

Originally Posted by stelligent View Post

…iOS 7 imageimage behind schedule…

YEP. ????

• Reply 50 of 86

Quote:

YEP. ????

Nope. And you have missed the memo about flat design. And ... where is your citation proving that a citation is needed?

• Reply 51 of 86

Nope.

I'm done here. I've given you proof, you still deny it. There's something wrong with you.

And you have missed the memo about flat design.

No, I just said nothing at all about it, nor implied anything about it whatsoever. I wasn't even discussing it, nor were you. 

• Reply 52 of 86
    auxioauxio Posts: 2,727member

Quote:

Frustrating? Yes. 

Ridiculous? No.

You clearly have not tried to purchase concert tickets for your teenager daughter's fav pop star recently. At least you don't have to confront your daughter with the news and see the disappointment in her eyes.

The ridiculous part is the fact that I actually had the ticket in my cart.  When you buy concert tickets online, and you actually manage to get one in your cart, they always tell you that you have it reserved for a certain amount of time.

As for your teenage daughter, I'd get her to do the website reload dance (kids love a challenge like that) and just enter your credit card info if/when she actually gets a ticket.  That way, you don't have to break any bad news to her (or take blame).

• Reply 53 of 86

Quote:

Nope.

If you are stating the need for a citation as fact, then provide a proper citation to prove it. We can go in circles all day if you like. Or you can ask nicely as I have prescribed. Or leave me alone.

Quote:

Quote:

What is this nonsense about "need"? This demand itself is a waste of time (yours and mine, but perhaps not of Tallest because he does nothing but badger people here anyhow). I let my words speak for me.

If you deem me unintelligent and unprovocative, then ignore me. If you think my track record is such that my words are not worth a damn without a citation, then don't trust me.

But if you think that perhaps there is veracity in what I wrote and are interested in my "source" or "inspiration", then ask in that vein instead of demanding a citation (as TS did) as if this place is a monument of rigorous debate, or offering some condescending, time-wasting, hypocritical lecture on why a citation is needed when it clearly is not.

Quote:

YEP. ????

Quote:

Nope. And you have missed the memo about flat design. And ... where is your citation proving that a citation is needed?

All this is a bit silly, isn't it, folks?

Any of you follow discussions on Branch? Here is one involving some of the most clued-in Apple bloggers discussing what they've heard about iOS 7 development delays: http://branch.com/b/apple-to-begin-iphone-production-this-quarter. Allegedly, engineers from OSX development are being pulled to help, just as they were back in 2007. You will find some sweet nuggets about the UI revamp, too. Emphasis on the word nuggets intended, because it is not a long discussion. My personal opinion is that these guys are generally in the know.

Sorry if I have overstepped my bounds here by intervening. But it's really not that amusing to watch you folks engage in a Seinfeld-esque debate.

• Reply 54 of 86
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member

"Apple has reportedly..."

"What I've heard:..."

This is all sourced from Gruber, who has been wrong many times in the past. It's a rumor, but not a fact. All we need is one "anonymous source" these days to proclaim everything as fact. Maybe it has some truth to it and maybe it does not. 

• Reply 55 of 86

Quote:

I'm done here. I've given you proof, you still deny it. There's something wrong with you.

No, I just said nothing at all about it, nor implied anything about it whatsoever. I wasn't even discussing it, nor were you. 

You cited me to prove I am wrong? That would be cool if it worked. But I don't believe citations are needed and so you can't manipulate my words enough to make your argument stick. And yes, there's something wrong with both of us, not to mention most people here.

• Reply 56 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by GQB View Post

"Nobody goes there anymore... its too crowded."

(paraphrasing Casey)

Or Yogi. 

• Reply 57 of 86
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    stelligent wrote: »

WTH do you think citation needed is referring to if you don't think it's asking for a source? :no: Are you honest not familiar with its origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed
  • Reply 58 of 86

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

"Apple has reportedly..."

"What I've heard:..."

This is all sourced from Gruber, who has been wrong many times in the past. It's a rumor, but not a fact. All we need is one "anonymous source" these days to proclaim everything as fact. Maybe it has some truth to it and maybe it does not. 

Everything you write is factually based?

Show me all relevant citations proving that Gruber has been wrong "many" times. Apparently, this is needed or you are wasting everyone's time. Otherwise, it's just a rumor.

• Reply 59 of 86

Quote:

WTH do you think citation needed is referring to if you don't think it's asking for a source? image

Two different things.

• Reply 60 of 86

Quote:

WTH do you think citation needed is referring to if you don't think it's asking for a source? image Are you honest not familiar with its origin: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed

Ah yes, Appleinsider is the paragon of factual rigor on the same level as Wikipedia. You are f---ing kidding me.