Here's a crazy one for you!

Posted:
in Genius Bar edited January 2014
At my work, we have a number of Macs all networked through AppleTalk.

We've recently found that our Epson Colour Stylus 3000, will print very slowly (if at all). There has not been any change in hardware or configuration.

We have however, through process of elimination discovered that switching of the flatbed scanner on one of the Mac cures the problem. And it's definitely not a coincidence. I'm able to stand there and swith it on and off, and the printer responds accordingly.

How the hell can an external SCSI scanner, interfere with a Mac and a printer across the otherside of the room?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 6
    do you have any kind of device sharing enabled? the only thing i can think of is that the scanner is broadcasting something over the network, although i don't think there is such a thing as SCSI sharing.

have you tried turning off Appletalk on the machine that the scanner is hooked up to, and having it just print/fileshare of TCP/IP? i have no idea what would cause that problem, but that might solve it.
  • Reply 2 of 6
    I hadn't thought of that. Thanks!

• Reply 3 of 6
    let me know if it works.

edit: oh yeah, just for kicks try changing the SCSI ID on the device and see if that makes any difference. what is it set to now?

try something between 5-7

[ 09-21-2002: Message edited by: alcimedes ]</p>
  • Reply 4 of 6
    [quote]Originally posted by alcimedes:

<strong>

try something between 5-7</strong><hr></blockquote>

Isn't 7 reserved for the computer?
  • Reply 5 of 6
    defiantdefiant Posts: 4,876member
    [quote]Originally posted by qazII:

<strong>

Isn't 7 reserved for the computer?</strong><hr></blockquote>

just try !
  • Reply 6 of 6
    try moving the scanner to the end of the scsi chain.