Leap Motion controller sales pushed back to July due to software issues [u]

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Originally slated for launch next month, the Leap Motion controller will now see public release at the end of July, with the company saying a larger and longer beta testing period is needed to ensure a quality product.

Update: Report now includes email from CEO Michael Buckwald to pre-order customers.

Leap Motion

Leap Motion CEO Michael Buckwald said at a press conference on Thursday that his company needs extra time to deliver the best product possible, stressing that there is "nothing catasrophically wrong" with the hardware, reports TechCrunch.

The original May 19 ship-by date could have been met, but Leap Motion decided on a more cautious rollout rather than start sales of an imperfect product. The new release date is July 22.

According to Buckwald, the setback is the "first and only delay there will be."

The executive went on to say that the controller's software, not hardware, needs refinement, and there are already 600,000 units sitting in warehouses, ready to go out to customers. The publication said Leap will use its $45 million in funding to help deal with the software issues.

Although it already has a pool of 12,000 developers writing apps and testing the product, Leap will be inviting an undisclosed number of non-developers to help with the process come June.

Leap Motion has already inked deals with ASUS and HP to incorporate or bundle the device in future products, and it is unclear how the delay will affect those agreements.

Letter to customers:
I wanted to reach out to update you on the status of our ship date. After a lot of consideration, we?ve decided to push back the date and will now be shipping units to pre-order customers on July 22nd.

This is not a decision we take lightly. There are hundreds of thousands of people in over 150 countries who have pre-ordered Leap Motion controllers, some as long as a year ago. These people are part of our community and there is nothing more important to us than getting them devices as quickly as possible.

We?ve made a lot of progress. When we first started taking orders back in May we were twelve (very tired) people in a basement. Now we are eighty (although still tired and possibly still in a basement). We?ve manufactured over six hundred thousand devices and delivered twelve thousand to amazing developers who are building applications that let people do things that just wouldn?t have been possible before.

These developers have given us great feedback that we?ve used to make huge improvements to the stability and polish of the product. We?re really proud of Leap Motion as both a company and a product.

The reality is we very likely could have hit the original ship date. But it wouldn?t have left time for comprehensive testing. This will come in the form of a beta test that will start in June. We will give the 12k developers who currently have Leap Motion controllers access to the feature complete product including OS interaction (today developers only have access to the SDK). We will also invite some people who are not developers to join the beta test.

Ultimately, the only way we felt 100% confident we could deliver a truly magical product that would do justice to this new form of interaction, was to push the date so we would have more time for a larger, more diverse beta test.

I really appreciate your patience. I know it?s been a long wait. Everyone at Leap Motion is working tirelessly to make sure that the wait is worth it. Thanks so much for your help and support.

David and I will be participating in an open video Q&A using Google Hangout tomorrow at 11:30am Pacific time. To join our hangout, please visit our Google+ page. If you have any questions please don?t hesitate to contact our support team at [email protected] or my personal email ([redacted]). As always, we will not charge pre-order customer?s credit cards until the devices have actually shipped.

Thanks again.

Michael Buckwald

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member

That, and maybe people don't want to control their computer by flailing around like a fish out of water.

• Reply 2 of 16
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    That, and maybe people don't want to control their computer by flailing around like a fish out of water.

I don't think anyone expects this to replace the mouse and keyboard, but rather augment it. In an era of multi touch gestures, I can see how this method can be useful. I'll reserve judgment until I try it.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

From what I've seen, the gestures possible with Leap are far more precise and subtle than "flailing around like a fish out of water".
  • Reply 4 of 16
    evilutionevilution Posts: 1,399member
    It's been "next month" for quite some time with Leap.

I bet TS was up in arms and foaming at the mouth when the mouse was released. Who wants to reach all the way to a desk to control their computer!

The controller doesn't have to be any further away than the back of the keyboard. Doesn't sound too much of a chore but then I don't immediately poo-poo anything new.
  • Reply 5 of 16

I am so excited about the Leap Motion controller's potential and so disappointed by the lengthy delay.  Not terribly great to damage your brand with early adopters before it is even off the ground. Perhaps the effort selling to OEMs could have been put into getting product into the hands of customers with pending orders?

I think Leap Motion will be acquired by a large company before shipping and consumers will never see this as a stand alone device.

• Reply 6 of 16
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    majjo wrote: »
    I don't think anyone expects this to replace the mouse and keyboard, but rather augment it. In an era of multi touch gestures, I can see how this method can be useful. I'll reserve judgment until I try it.

At the very least, it will compliment the mouse and keyboard. You can imagine something as simple as using Photoshop, put the left hand above the sensor and pinch zoom to change the brush size or do a gesture like the following to take a screenshot instead of remembering the key combination:

Not to mention the possible use as a musical instrument like this (00:50):

[VIDEO]

They could even make it sound less like flatulence (or more if they're going after the App Store customers).
  • Reply 7 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    I've seen one in use, it's pretty interesting, I don't know if there is a killer app for it yet.. It also looked like it ran pretty well. Any software issues might be pretty minor and fixable with an update.
  • Reply 8 of 16

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

I bet TS was up in arms and foaming at the mouth when the mouse was released. Who wants to reach all the way to a desk to control their computer!

The difference between your nonsense and reality is that we already know what the future of computer interaction is. And this is not it. This is facing the other side of the cube and looking inward, not outward.

• Reply 9 of 16
    charlitunacharlituna Posts: 7,217member
    All the engineers have been shifted to help withi iOS 7
  • Reply 10 of 16
    "nothing catastrophically wrong"; it's just a mediocre turd of a product.
  • Reply 11 of 16
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member

The minute Apple introduces similar technology on an iMac or Macbook, it will be praised by the same people who have been dismissing this product here.

• Reply 12 of 16

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

The minute Apple introduces similar technology on an iMac or Macbook, it will be praised by the same people who have been dismissing this product here.

Good thing they'll never do that, then, huh?

• Reply 13 of 16

Vaporware.

• Reply 14 of 16
    jeffdmjeffdm Posts: 12,951member
    macfandave wrote: »
    Vaporware.

Maybe by some obscure definition of it, I suppose. They're real and I've seen one in use, owned by an individual programmer making software that uses it.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member

That's because Apple would integrate the technology properly & usefully (as OS-level) unlike any other hardware manufacturer can.  This seems to relate to the other post about virtual trackpads etc.  maybe they're waiting for OSX10.9 to be announced.

McD

• Reply 16 of 16
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haggar View Post

That's because Apple would integrate the technology properly & usefully (as OS-level) unlike any other hardware manufacturer can.  This seems to relate to the other post about virtual trackpads etc.  maybe they're waiting for OSX10.9 to be announced.

McD