Windows 8 tablets grab 7% of shipments, Apple's iPad still controls nearly half

Comments

• Reply 21 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

You're absolutely joking, right? You've noticed the 90% marketshare the iPad has, yeah?

What am I missing in this article? Where are you getting a 90%. Looks like 48.2% iOS.

• Reply 22 of 141
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by ddawson100 View Post

It's interesting that Android's 9% surge and Surface's 7.4 gains seem to be at iOS's -15% expense. Really wondering what to attribute that to. iPod cemented their lead by iterating so quickly. This doesn't seem to be playing out with iPad in the same way. Surprising to me, frankly.

Iterating so quickly... The iPod was updated once a year. How is that faster than the iPad? Three models of the iPod were released before the iPod mini - after three years of being on the market. Same with the iPad.

It's not playing out the same way because portable digital media players are not computers - they were basically dedicated devices for listening to music, then other types of media. The computer market is a MUCH LARGER market, so everyone and their brother is throwing devices on the market especially since they can get a halfway decent OS for free.

Real world statistics show that the iPad is way ahead of where the iPod ever was and arrived there a lot sooner.

• Reply 23 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

OK. 

Okay honest question. Why would retailers continue to take shipments if the product was not selling? Why would a manufacture continue to put money into a product that wasn't selling? So on some level shipments have to mean something.

• Reply 24 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Okay honest question. Why would retailers continue to take shipments if the product was not selling? Why would a manufacture continue to put money into a product that wasn't selling? So on some level shipments have to mean something.

Channel stuffing is the business practice where a company, or a sales force within a company, inflates its sales figures by forcing more products through a distribution channel than the channel is capable of selling to the world at large. Also known as "trade loading", this can be the result of a company attempting to inflate its sales figures.

Vendor: "We'll give you a discount on our product if you commit to taking x-quantity. You can return any remaining quantity after y--time period without any financial penalty."
    Retail: "Sure."

This is a pretty common tactic.
  • Reply 25 of 141
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    emig647 wrote: »
    I really feel the true success for the iPod was a hit from multiple angles. A) iTunes Store caught on for purchasing music from home. B) Gift Cars were an easy gift to go along with that. C) iPod prices ranged from 99 to 499, which made even the cheapest iPod obtainable to just about anyone. 

The iPad is too expensive for a lot of consumers. Not everyone makes enough money to justify blowing 500 on a tablet. I'm not saying Apple should lower their iPad prices or make cheaper iPads, but that definitely was a huge key to the iPod dominating that market. 
    iPad mini is $329.
  • Reply 26 of 141
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member

Quote:

Originally Posted by extremeskater View Post

What am I missing in this article? Where are you getting a 90%. Looks like 48.2% iOS.

Most people are capable of looking beyond what they're immediately told and can gather information from other sources before forming an opinion. The 90% share is roughly where most real world statistics put the iPad's usage share - that is to say, by looking at other stats, they are able to demonstrate that most visits/hits/etc. are from people using iPads.

But like the shipment numbers above, this is never entirely accurate. The numbers above are usually guesstimates and the real world stats for the iPad may be that iPad users are just more likely to use their iPad more often for more types of tasks.

• Reply 27 of 141
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member

At steady state, units shipped = Units sold.
  • Reply 28 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by emig647 View Post

The iPad is too expensive for a lot of consumers. Not everyone makes enough money to justify blowing 500 on a tablet. I'm not saying Apple should lower their iPad prices or make cheaper iPads, but that definitely was a huge key to the iPod dominating that market. 

Nonsense. The iPad mini exists for that exact reason and sells tremendously well. 

• Reply 29 of 141
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,309moderator
    steven n. wrote: »
    I still want to know who is actually using all those Android tablets. With phones, you could always argue people just use them as feature phones to explain the 100's of million of missing phones in use but with tablets??? That just does not make sense to me.

It includes the Kindle Fire and Barnes and Noble Nook. The Android segment is made up of loads of devices.

Even rarely accurate Samsung shill Digitimes had stats showing Samsung at 3.9% tablet supplier shipments vs Apple at 71.6%. The article was here:

http://www.digitimes.com/news/a20130419VL202.html

but they've since hidden it for members only. Can't imagine why. There's still tablet usage stats that show a similar distribution though:

http://thenextweb.com/gadgets/2013/02/05/chitika-ipad-at-81-tablet-web-share-in-north-america-kindle-fire-grabs-7-7-and-galaxy-tablets-take-3-9/

The ebook readers have quite a large portion of the sales:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/01/kindle-fire-nabs-33-of-android-tablet-market-nexus-7-just-8/

That may explain lower web usage as they will be bought by people primarily for reading books.

The stats in the article are sales shares too which are only measured in a given quarter, which is why 3 million represents over 7%. Android tablets are starting to pick up the pace as they are selling at little to no profit. It's the only way they're able to sell - if they were within $50 of the price of an iPad, nobody would even give them a second glance. When they are $130 or more cheaper, it's a better option to people who aren't too fussy about the quality and just want something to read a few books on. You can see that even with the vastly lower price, there's still very few people interested in any particular model.
  • Reply 30 of 141
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Yeah I think the whole shipped vs sold argument is bogus. No company will create a bunch of tablets if ghe don't think they can sell them. BUT most of the shipped numbers we get are not official numbers from OEM's but estimates from different analytical firms. That's also bogus. Where exactly are all these Android tablets. I go to the airport or am on a plane and never see anyone using a tablet other than iPad. In my office everyone uses an iPad. Who's buying all these android tablets?
  • Reply 31 of 141

When you walk around in public, only 48.2% of the tablets you see are iPads. I'm sure you agree with that statement.
  • Reply 32 of 141
    majjomajjo Posts: 574member
    When you walk around in public, only 48.2% of the tablets you see are iPads. I'm sure you agree with that statement.

From my experience here in the San Francisco bay area, that seems to be relatively close to my experience. There has been an uptick in iPads since the mini though.
  • Reply 33 of 141
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Channel stuffing is the business practice where a company, or a sales force within a company, inflates its sales figures by forcing more products through a distribution channel than the channel is capable of selling to the world at large. Also known as "trade loading", this can be the result of a company attempting to inflate its sales figures.

Vendor: "We'll give you a discount on our product if you commit to taking x-quantity. You can return any remaining quantity after y--time period without any financial penalty."

Really? And how come Samsung managed to have a 7 billion profit by... inflating their sales figures? If they aren't selling that much how could they grow their profits? By magic maybe?

• Reply 34 of 141
    jfanningjfanning Posts: 3,398member
    Marvin wrote: »
    It includes the Kindle Fire and Barnes and Noble Nook. The Android segment is made up of loads of devices.

Why would it include those? They don't come with Google Play, which means they aren't Android tablets.
  • Reply 35 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Thanks for that link it was interesting to read. I would assume that when the distributors returns goods to the company that is conveniently not tracked or reported. It would also explain why everyone in my area that has either Charter or Comcast gets a free Kindle Fire HD. Didn't even ask for one just showed up in the mail one day thanking me for being a Charter customer.

• Reply 36 of 141
    nelsonxnelsonx Posts: 278member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Yeah I think the whole shipped vs sold argument is bogus. No company will create a bunch of tablets if ghe don't think they can sell them. BUT most of the shipped numbers we get are not official numbers from OEM's but estimates from different analytical firms. That's also bogus. Where exactly are all these Android tablets. I go to the airport or am on a plane and never see anyone using a tablet other than iPad. In my office everyone uses an iPad. Who's buying all these android tablets?

Honest question. Did you check every airports from every city around the globe? Do you think your airport, your office and your city are representative for the entire planet? Do you want to know how many ipads I saw this year in my town? One. One iPad and maybe... 5 iPhones, including mine. But every day I see everywhere a lot of Android phones. Not many Android tablets, true, but a lot of Android phones.

• Reply 37 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

No. I just posted that the only non iOS device I have was given to me by my cable company. Only reason I asked is I have no clue what sales might be overseas. Wasn't sure if Samsung devices were more popular overseas.

I can see where any good company could build a nice tablet the problem I have always found is the OS sucks and the lack of Apps. Or the process of buying Apps is a PITA.

• Reply 38 of 141

Quote:

Originally Posted by jragosta View Post

You're forgetting that roughly half of the WIndows Surface production was used to produce their silly commercials with hundreds of dancers. image

That, and every Microsoft employee was given a SurfaceRT. Can't have them poor shills flashing iPads all over the place. 

Finally 4% to 6% of the population is either certifiably nuts or a Windoz mullet-head (or both usually); that accounts for about half the shipments. 

This leaves about 1.5 million Surfaces languishing in dusty big-box store warehouses. 

I've not seen a Surface actually in the wild, but a friend of a friend is reported to have one in a box somewhere.

• Reply 39 of 141
    ptramptram Posts: 58member
    Both me and my brother have an Android tablet left on the bookshelf. I guess these count.
  • Reply 40 of 141
    solipsismxsolipsismx Posts: 19,566member
    Thanks for that link it was interesting to read. I would assume that when the distributors returns goods to the company that is conveniently not tracked or reported. It would also explain why everyone in my area that has either Charter or Comcast gets a free Kindle Fire HD. Didn't even ask for one just showed up in the mail one day thanking me for being a Charter customer.

I assume all records are tracked, they just do it at times that make the books look better or worse for public facing statements. It's really a myopic shell game since any benefit you add one quarter will be a hinderance the next.

Apple has no need to do this with their popularity. They make a retailer commit to x-amount of a y-time period, like with stories about Sprint's iPhone deal, but that's Apple having a highly desirable product that they dictate different terms to.

I would think Samsung is in the same bought for their high-end phones. With over 50 million unit sold there is no reason to think they need to go to great lengths to buoy any numbers artificially.

That said, it's still possible to conceive of any company, not matter how successful, could do it for a milestone. For instance, let's say a company's quarter is about to have a special event and they have sold 99.7 million units. They could make some special deal to get someone to commit to another 300k units just so they can legally announce they've sold 100 million units.

Bottom line is creativity doesn't just happen in the R&D departments.